Grateful Dead

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.

Moderator: JoeWallack

John2

Re: Grateful Dead

Post by John2 »

Not satisfied with 1977, I've been exploring 1979, a year I'm much less familiar with, and from the get-go I've been liking what I've been hearing. Not only have I unexpectedly found a great version of St. Stephen, the rest of the show it is in is becoming an instant favorite (it also has a great Music Never Stopped, I Need A Miracle and Dark Star). It even only exists on audience recordings and I don't mind. In fact, this is the best sounding audience recording I've ever heard.

https://archive.org/details/gd1979-01-1 ... d3t05.flac

This show sounds a lot better to me with headphones at the library than it does on my work computer, so your experience may vary as well. It's too bad there's no soundboard recording for this one, since the novelty of listening to this audience recording has worn off.
Last edited by John2 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
You know in spite of all you gained, you still have to stand out in the pouring rain.
El Dorado

Post by El Dorado »

Ananda wrote:Quite shocking actually having grown up in the flower power generation to digest Dave McGowan's "Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon: Laurel Canyon, Covert Ops & Dark Heart of the Hippie Dream" as well as Gnostic Media"s deconstruction of bygone days.

You Tube
Dr. Hans Utter "Laying the Dead to Rest, Part 1: Occult Networks in the Holosonic Control Matrix"

:cheeky: I've heard this too ......... fascinating stuff ... :popcorn:
Ananda

Post by Ananda »

At 17:00 he mentions Shiva and this is related to the trinity of forces; creation, preservation, and destruction in the deities Vishnu, Brahma and Shiva.

Bringing mythology into a contemplative experience, this is;

4. Knowledge of Arising and Passing Away: The Ten Corruptions of Insight

Awareness of the rise, presence, and fall of the (6) sense bases.

"The Progress of Insight: (Visuddhiñana ... ess.html .
~Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Last edited by Rich on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

So I decided to google enough to contribute something and here's the first thing I find:

http://newwest.net/topic/article/whats_ ... C564/L564/

"Your missing the point by even considering them a studio band. They werent . They were a live,touring band. And you failed to mention LSD. it makes them sound better especially if you take it one hour before the show. Peaking during the best part of the show.
You never did that I guess."

For the fans here, did you get the point, or did you miss out on that part?
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Rich

Post by Rich »

Last edited by Rich on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Acid and Woodstock trivia are not really popular among people I know. I was just curious.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Rich

Post by Rich »

Last edited by Rich on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Dorado

Post by El Dorado »

Rich wrote: An important difference between Jerry & Jesus is that we actually know for certain that Jerry existed.
:lol: ... and probably played better guitar ... :whistling:

For me, the point of going to their shows was never the acid/LSD and, to be honest, not even really their music (due to a lack of hallucinogenics maybe?), it was the colorful people, eccentric crowd and unpredictable circus/fair-like environment they attracted. :cheeky:
There's really just nothing and no act or show that compares, none.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Thanks, El Dorado. Sounds like fun, then!