documents concerning Jesus traveling to India and Kashmir?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Taws

documents concerning Jesus traveling to India and Kashmir?

Post by Taws »

Wow, am I out of my pond?! Since I started to seriously study about God and especially Jesus, I have come to feel like a bullfrog in a pond full of tadpoles (christian chat rooms); and now find myself being the tadpole in a pond full of bullfrogs. This is meant to be a compliment. Ya'll are so far ahead of me, my comments and observations seem to me to be infantile compared to your vast understanding of christianity, Jesus and the history of both.

However, being an elderly man of 69, who has always believed he has the capacity to understand all things (given time), I shall attempt to share my ignorance with you; and, hopefully it will be to my benefit.

From what I'm reading here, you seem to be stuck on only the writings and opinions of a few; who I assume you have a respectable opinion; and who stay within your range of information.

Have any of you considered other writings outside of Jewish, Roman and Christian writers? Do you assume, that historical (including government) documents like those reported to be in India and Kashmir, have no value; yet allow that Jewish, Roman and Christian writers are reputable? I am refering of course to the reported documents conserning Jesus traveling to India and Kashmir between the age (when there is no local documentation of his life, whatsoever) between 12 and 29 years of age.

It has been a mystery to me that no one questions that the life of a man; during the time when he should be most active; is accepted so readily to be unknown completely. He reportedly amazed the religious leaders in the synagogue and disappeared for about 18 years. Whether there is any evidence of his historical exsistence is being discussed as if he lived only from the age of birth to 12 years; disappeared from all earthly records and reappeared for about three years, and died.

It appears that the study of the historocity of Jesus is severely limited here; as if we were requiring that we stay only within the constraints of western thought, records and knowledge. If so, the conversation is muted by it's inability to consider information, records, and writings outside of the realm of the western world's assumption of superior knowledge about things that happened in eastern areas of the known world at that time.

Just a thought,

Taws
MrMacSon

Re: Historicity of Jesus - the Talking Points

Post by MrMacSon »

I have seen vague references/mentions to Jesus having traveled to India & Kashmir. I have not seen anything other than that.
Roger Pearse

Re: Historicity of Jesus - the Talking Points

Post by Roger Pearse »

MrMacSon wrote:I have seen vague references/mentions to Jesus having traveled to India & Kashmir. I have not seen anything other than that.
There is the Notovitch hoax...

I think the poster needs to come up with something solid that we can discuss.
spin

A historocity

Post by spin »

Taws wrote:the historocity of Jesus
I can appreciate that it's a typo, but I just love the sound of "historocity". I think it might have a use to describe a specific situation we have to deal with. I see it as a portmanteau word made up from historical and atrocity and meaning those historical notions that circulate without any substantive basis whatsoever. For example, in ancient times (at least from the era of Tertullian to Jerome) there was the understanding that the Ebionites were a group founded by one Ebion, a complete historocity. I'd say Jesus traveling to India and Kashmir is another. We haven't really been able to decide definitively that Jesus existed, sifting through the earliest available evidence, and that earliest evidence gives no breath toward a visit of our maybe real person going off to such foreign parts.
Dysexlia lures • ⅔ of what we see is behind our eyes
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: A historocity

Post by Peter Kirby »

spin wrote:
Taws wrote:the historocity of Jesus
I can appreciate that it's a typo, but I just love the sound of "historocity". I think it might have a use to describe a specific situation we have to deal with. I see it as a portmanteau word made up from historical and atrocity and meaning those historical notions that circulate without any substantive basis whatsoever. For example, in ancient times (at least from the era of Tertullian to Jerome) there was the understanding that the Ebionites were a group founded by one Ebion, a complete historocity. I'd say Jesus traveling to India and Kashmir is another. We haven't really been able to decide definitively that Jesus existed, sifting through the earliest available evidence, and that earliest evidence gives no breath toward a visit of our maybe real person going off to such foreign parts.
Toooo funny. Historocity. :lol:
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Re: documents concerning Jesus traveling to India and Kashmi

Post by MrMacSon »

Is it possible there is some tie through stories from, or by, Zoroastrianism, or a similar belief.
andrewcriddle

Re: documents concerning Jesus traveling to India and Kashmi

Post by andrewcriddle »

The tradition that Jesus went to Kashmir is apparently derives from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaam_and_Josaphat legend (The Buddha becomes a Christian -originally Manichaean- Saint.) In the course of this legendary development Kushinara, (where the Buddha died), becomes confused with Kashmir.

Andrew Criddle