Outstretched hands and The Cross

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: Outstretched hands and The Cross

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 am ... It is evident that just Just here is engaging in a wild damage limitation exercise
I dunno [yet] if it's damage limitation or simply rhetoric.

But one thing your phrase raises for me is the name, Justin Martyr.

I've long been suspicious of 'Martyr' given it's relationship to martyrdom (but have never looked into it); and Justin, as in, 'Just-in', raises in interesting point about the etymology of 'Justin' ...
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:54 pm
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 am ... It is evident that just Just here is engaging in a wild damage limitation exercise
I dunno [yet] if it's damage limitation or simply rhetoric.

But one thing your phrase raises for me is the name, Justin Martyr.

I've long been suspicious of 'Martyr' given it's relationship to martyrdom (but have never looked into it); and Justin, as in, 'Just-in', raises in interesting point about the etymology of 'Justin' ...
Damage done or damage to come, we'll never know I think.
He is defending an idea, an image, that apparently has been subject to critique - it's funny how most every single Church writing seems to be defending itself against criticism, stating presumably with Paul

What point? Curious now
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:54 pmI've long been suspicious of 'Martyr' given it's relationship to martyrdom (but have never looked into it)....
If you are suspicious that Martyr is not his real given name, well, your suspicion is justified. Justin was said to have suffered martyrdom after being denounced by Crescens. That is where the title Martyr (not a name) comes from.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

MrMacSon wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:49 pm
mlinssen wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 am Eighth line from the bottom, eighth letter from the right
- a version of the sampi, a Coptic letter or glyph -

(similar to the Chi-Rho ⳩ which is is next to in the Coptic chart here)
Doh! I forgot the staurogram the glyph / ligature [said to have been formed] from the combination of the Greek letters tau (Τ) and rho (Ρ).

Which came first? . the staurogram ? .. or the Coptic 'sampi' ??
The tau-rho staurogram, like other christograms, was originally a pre-Christian symbol. A Herodian coin featuring the Staurogram predates the crucifixion. Soon after, Christian adoption of staurogram symbols served as the first visual images of Jesus on the cross.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... taurogram/
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

A Coptic block symbol (?) is said to be ⳧ ?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:43 pm A Coptic block symbol (?) is said to be ⳧ ?
yes, that would read s-TR-s, and highly likely be an attempt at forming that complete word :lol:

Here, eat your heart out: https://coptic-dictionary.org/entry.cgi?tla=C10535

And here's the Unicode block: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_(Unicode_block)
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

There's a few similar glyphs -
Coptic Block Wikipedia.PNG
Coptic Block Wikipedia.PNG (109.43 KiB) Viewed 12730 times
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Yeah, it all depends what the general demand is for Unicode I suppose. The leftmost two are uppercase vs lowercase "official" staurogram, the remainder seems like specials thrown in at popular demand - just rambling here and going by the Coptic alphabet which ends at the Omega before hitting the Demotic block that, as I have said before, very unfortunately got added to the Greek Unicode earlier.
So what we are now left with is a Unicode for Coptic that is busted for good and can't be correctly sorted alphabetically
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

mlinssen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, it all depends what the general demand is for Unicode I suppose. The leftmost two are uppercase vs lowercase "official" staurogram, the remainder seems like specials thrown in at popular demand - just rambling here and going by the Coptic alphabet which ends at the Omega before hitting the Demotic block that, as I have said before, very unfortunately got added to the Greek Unicode earlier.
So what we are now left with is a Unicode for Coptic that is busted for good and can't be correctly sorted alphabetically
I figure a lot of attempts to tabulate or categorise these glyphs or symbols are fraught.

Though I'd say, fwiw, the two leftmost, with the shorter down stroke (or larger 'D' shaped loop at the top), would be Coptic Sampi, and the one at the intersection of row U+2CEx and column 8 would be more staurogram-like.

A significant question is: who borrowed from who?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

MrMacSon wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:23 am
mlinssen wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:46 pm Yeah, it all depends what the general demand is for Unicode I suppose. The leftmost two are uppercase vs lowercase "official" staurogram, the remainder seems like specials thrown in at popular demand - just rambling here and going by the Coptic alphabet which ends at the Omega before hitting the Demotic block that, as I have said before, very unfortunately got added to the Greek Unicode earlier.
I figure a lot of attempts to tabulate or categorise these glyphs or symbols are fraught.

Though I'd say, fwiw, the two leftmost, with the shorter down stroke (or larger 'D' shaped loop at the top), would be Coptic Sampi, and the one at the intersection of row U+2CEx and column 8 would be more staurogram-like.

A significant question is: who borrowed from who?
It would be worth investigating for sure, with the funny Herodian coin pointing to independence of the T/R "letter", which I shall continue to call staurogram for ease of use.
If we find out where it comes from we will find out what Thomas meant by it, and at that same moment we will see how the canonicals completely misunderstood it but didn't dare not copy it (sic)

Justin Martyr points to it, trying to justify has fable of the cross. Yet it is not in Codex Bezae (e.g. page 277v) https://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-NN-00002-00041/535 - TIA is Luke 23:20