Tertullian and the Alexamenos graffito

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
andrewcriddle

Tertullian and the Alexamenos graffito

Post by andrewcriddle »

"Alexamenos worships [his] God."
On this forum we have discussed the Alexamenos graffito and some have suggested that it is not certainly referring to Christianity.

However I was reading an article by ILE Ramelli Apuleius and Christianity which mentioned interesting parallels in Tertullian.
Apology
But lately a new edition of our god has been given to the world in that great city: it originated with a certain vile man who was wont to hire himself out to cheat the wild beasts, and who exhibited a picture with this inscription: The God of the Christians, born of an ass. He had the ears of an ass, was hoofed in one foot, carried a book, and wore a toga.
Adversus Nationes
Report has introduced a new calumny respecting our God. Not so long ago, a most abandoned wretch in that city of yours, a man who had deserted indeed his own religion----a Jew, in fact, who had only lost his skin, flayed of course by wild beasts, against which he enters the lists for hire day after day with a sound body, and so in a condition to lose his skin ----carried about in public a caricature of us with this label: Onocoetes. This (figure) had ass's ears, and was dressed in a toga with a book, having a hoof on one of his feet. And the crowd believed this infamous Jew. For what other set of men is the seed-plot of all the calumny against us? Throughout the city, therefore, Onocoetes is all the talk.
The passages from Tertullian confirm that the graffito parodies Christianity.

Andrew Criddle
Giuseppe

Re: Tertullian and the Alexamenos graffito

Post by Giuseppe »

On certain gnostic gems Jaldabaoth is depicted with the head of an ass or pig

https://books.google.it/books?id=Sny7AA ... ss&f=false
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Thank you, andrewcriddle --

There are several pointers to Verginius Rufus. "He wore the toga...", emblematic of High Authority in the Roman Hierarchy (Was the toga limited to Senate Membership?). "Having a hoof on one foot" may be an indicator of clumsiness which is literally what did VR in - he dropped a book and, in attempting to pick it up, fell and broke his hip, leading to a painful death that lasted months.

He participated (I believe) in the Empty Tomb Comedy (Pliny the Y and Tacitus), tying him to the creation of the NT, high-tailing it out the back door when the troops wanted to proclaim him emperor at the death of Otho. And so on...

Gumming up the works here is the Head of an Ass Motif. I had often entertained the thought of Galba playing that part. Perhaps Pretenders to the Throne were satirized as Ass-Heads, even if they attained their goal [See Note below].

Alas, I have run up to the limits of what I may perceive.

THNX!

[Note: V Rufus rejected the calls of many to ascend to the throne, I know. The sentence might be better read, "Perhaps those associated with the possible ascension to the throne were satirized..."]
Kunigunde Kreuzerin

Post by Kunigunde Kreuzerin »

andrewcriddle wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:42 am However I was reading an article by ILE Ramelli Apuleius and Christianity which mentioned interesting parallels in Tertullian.
There is also the pagan claim in Minucius Felix' Octavius IX,3 against Christians
Nor, concerning these things, would intelligent report speak of things so great and various, and requiring to be prefaced by an apology, unless truth were at the bottom of it. I hear that they adore the head of an ass, that basest of creatures, consecrated by I know not what silly persuasion — a worthy and appropriate religion for such manners.
Martin Klatt

Post by Martin Klatt »

---
Last edited by Martin Klatt on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

That's very interesting. But I don't think there is an etymological link with ὄνος.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Secret Alias wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am That's very interesting. But I don't think there is an etymological link with ὄνος.
Probably not, but linguistic puns and false etymologies were rampant in antiquity.

ETA: I remember that decades ago a US public figure used the term "niggardly" with reference to a budget or some such; he was castigated by people who thought that this term had something to do with a certain racial slur, those people being apparently unaware that there is no actual etymological connection between the two terms.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Good point.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Yes, the Alexamenos grapphito represents Jesus.

But the Jesus of the Sethians, who considered Jesus as Seth the Son of Adam (=Son of Man).

The Pagans didn't understand who was this Seth, therefore their inference was:

Jesus was Seth the Egyptian god with the canine head.

This confusion between the biblical Seth and the Egyptian Seth is the simplest explanation for the "head of an ass" etc.
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.