Marcion's Shorter Readings of Paul

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

robert j

Re: Marcion's Shorter Readings of Paul

Post by robert j »

Peter Kirby wrote:He uses different arguments to reach a similar conclusion. AFAIK, not the argument used in the final "summary" of this blog post.
Peter, thanks for the extensive blog post. I'll be sure to give it more time.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

robert j wrote:
Peter Kirby wrote:He uses different arguments to reach a similar conclusion. AFAIK, not the argument used in the final "summary" of this blog post.
Peter, thanks for the extensive blog post. I'll be sure to give it more time.
Thanks!
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

toejam wrote:Excellent post. Thanks for your work.
Thanks!
BeDuhn's book really opened my eyes to this problem of determining the "original" Pauline texts. I'm halfway through Price's "Amazing Colossal Apostle" at the moment (just about to start his commentary section). Thomas Whittaker's 1904 book "The Origins of Christianity with an Outline of Van Manen’s Analysis of The Pauline Literature" is also available online as an audiobook for anyone interested https://librivox.org/the-origins-of-chr ... whittaker/
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 am Rom 1:1b-5a (2, 3, 4)
This passage from Origen seems to add criterion 1 to the mix, an explicit note of denial.

Inquire of the Marcionites, then, “Is there actually a portion for you in David and an inheritance in the seed of Jesse?” He replies, “There is not for us a portion in David nor an inheritance in the seed of Jesse.” For they deny the one “born of the seed of David according to the flesh.” (Homilies on the Psalms, Psalm 77 Homily 9.5, p. 404)

RandyHelzerman

Post by RandyHelzerman »

Peter Kirby wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 am I'm also willing to consider the possibility that the original collection only had 2-3 letters. I've toyed with it myself: Gal, Cor, Rom?????? But I'd really like to have more to go on.
Those letters are the letters which deal with the collection. Trobisch argues for these as being Paul's own recension. Arguments from authority aren't evidence either, but it does seem like a natural fault line.

One of the things Dr. BeDuhn says is that there is enough textual-variations to conclude that there was version of 10 letters arranged in Marcion's order, yet was not circulated by Marcion or in Marcionite circles. I don't think he cited where that analysis could be found, perhaps one from him will be forthcoming.

But if it's already out there, it might be a source of ideas--does anybody know of any such work?