Are there Marcion-Johannine readings?

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ken Olson

Are there Marcion-Johannine readings?

Post by Ken Olson »

Are there any known Marcion-Johannine readings? That is, readings attested for Marcion that he has in common with John alone among the canonical gospels?

Best,

Ken
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Re: Are there Marcion-Johannine readings?

Post by Peter Kirby »

I have not found any yet.
Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

Peter Kirby wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:45 am I have not found any yet.
Thanks. No, me neither, but I've only just started looking.

I posit that there is a literary relationship between John and the synoptics and that John knew and used all of then.

I also think we have enough data to say there is a literary relationship between Luke and the Evangelion, and I posit that the Evangelion is dependent on Luke (i realize you disagree on that part).

But I don't really have a theory on what John's relationship to the Evangelion is. There may be no literary dependence in either direction there.

Best,

Ken
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Ken Olson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 am Thanks. No, me neither, but I've only just started looking.
We may yet find something when I piece together a synopsis.
Ken Olson wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 amI also think we have enough data to say there is a literary relationship between Luke and the Evangelion, and I posit that the Evangelion is dependent on Luke (i realize you disagree on that part).
I think your opinion on the direction of the relationship between Evangelion and Luke is well-informed. You're certainly more capable at working out synoptic problem issues than I am.

My main focus hasn't been trying to figure out the direction of dependence. But I also tend to agree with Klinghardt that it's important to state a hypothesis on some key literary dependencies to be able to approach the task of a detailed reconstruction. Instead of being an implicit bias, it can be an explicit and controlled element of the process. So that for me is the idea that *Ev preceded Luke.

When the hypothesis is more developed, then I can consider where the balance of evidence lies.