Misdating Jesus to Jannaeus' era may be due to a confusion of Jesus with the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness...

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

StephenGoranson

Re: Misdating Jesus to Jannaeus' era may be due to a confusion of Jesus with the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness...

Post by StephenGoranson »

Yes, thanks. Henry Chadwick noted "Celsus confuses Herod the tetrarch (Luke iii. I) with Herod the Great, his father (Matt. ii. I-3)."
Whether Celsus confused his source or whether the source Celsus used specified that, well, I do not today claim to know.
AdamKvanta

Re: Misdating Jesus to Jannaeus' era may be due to a confusion of Jesus with the Qumran Teacher of Righteousness...

Post by AdamKvanta »

StephenGoranson wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 am Yes, thanks. Henry Chadwick noted "Celsus confuses Herod the tetrarch (Luke iii. I) with Herod the Great, his father (Matt. ii. I-3)."
Whether Celsus confused his source or whether the source Celsus used specified that, well, I do not today claim to know.
I think, rather Matthew confused Luke's (Lk 1:5) "Herod, king of Judea (Ἰουδαίας)" [Herod Archelaus, ethnarch of Judea] with "Herod, king of the Jews (Ἰουδαίων)" [Herod the Great], who was reigning over Judea before his son Archelaus (Mt 2:22). However, Luke might be partly responsible for the confusion when he decided to use "king" instead of "ethnarch" for Archelaus.

Lk 1:5 (NASB20):
In the days of Herod, king of Judea, [Ἡρῴδου βασιλέως τῆς Ἰουδαίας] there was a priest named Zechariah, of the division of Abijah; and he had a wife from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth.

Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews (XV.11.4):
But when Herod was king of the Jews [ὁ τῶν Ἰουδαίων βασιλεὺς Ἡρώδης]...

Mt 2:1-2 (NASB20):
Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king [Ἡρῴδου τοῦ βασιλέως], behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews [βασιλεὺς τῶν Ἰουδαίων]? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him.”

Mt 2:22 (NASB20):
But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea [Ἰουδαίας] in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there.

Ken Olson

Post by Ken Olson »

G.R.S. Mead, DID JESUS LIVE 100 B.C.? AN ENQUIRY' INTO THE TALMUD JESUS STORIES, THE TOLDOTH JESCHU, AND SOME CURIOUS STATEMENTS OF EPIPHANIUS— BEING A CONTRIBUTION TO THE STUDY OF CHRISTIAN ORIGINS (1903)

may be downloaded here:

https://archive.org/details/didjesusliv ... 5/mode/2up

Best,

Ken