Part A: Time Period 275-325

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

lclapshaw

Re: Part A: Time Period 275-325

Post by lclapshaw »

Peter Kirby wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:26 pm In other news, it's my birthday today. And after a few years as a software engineer, part of me is wondering what comes next. My life sometimes reminds me of Thomas Hardy's novel, Jude the Obscure, which we read in high school. Will I ever be able to afford to be a stone mason no longer and become a scholar? Some day, perhaps. I'd really like to write that dissertation on First Clement that is stuck in my brain.
Happy Bday bud! :cheers:

Lane
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:10 am I could get you published somewhere. Trust me it has to be easier that turning my son into a professional footballer. I have known many people who followed the academic route. They're all of a certain type. You know, "office worker." I remember when Benny told me I didn't seem like an academic. I took it as a compliment. We were in a strip club when he said it. But still
Peter! Forget about this hack! I'll get you published! For sure!

Just send me your material with 5,000 bucks cash, you'll get it back + in no time. :cheers:
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Happy birthday, Peter Kirby, who wrote, in part:
"....My life sometimes reminds me of Thomas Hardy's novel, Jude the Obscure, which we read in high school. Will I ever be able to afford to be a stone mason no longer and become a scholar? Some day, perhaps. I'd really like to write that dissertation on First Clement that is stuck in my brain."

Maybe work on it, a step at a time, when you can.
Thomas Hardy is best remembered as a novelist, surely.
He wished more to be remembered as a poet.
Maybe do what you can.
The reception is out of our hands.

PS this thread, again, shows Christianity before Constantine' s decision, however motivated.
PPS Hardy's friend, AE Housman, wished to be more remembered as a scholar of Latinity, but is most known as a poet.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Happy Birthday, Peter!
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Thanks all!
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:08 pm PS this thread, again, shows Christianity before Constantine' s decision, however motivated.
Perhaps a distinction should be drawn between Chrestians and Christians. We'll see.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Sorry if I'm late but happy birthday Peter.

Andrew Criddle
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

andrewcriddle wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:22 pm Sorry if I'm late but happy birthday Peter.

Andrew Criddle
Thanks!
perseusomega9

Post by perseusomega9 »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:05 pm Do so before the collapse of civilization. My advice.
Too late.
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Jerome writes in opposition to a claim by Porphyry that women were leaders in the church.

Porphyry was previously named in the edict against Arians.

(xii) Jerome (Jerome, Commentary on Isaiah, 3.12) on Porphyry, Against the Christians, fr. 97 [ca. 270-310]

A. D. Lee, Pagans and Christians in Late Antiquity, pp. 43-44

Let us therefore also take care that we are not extortioners among our people, that, as the godless Porphyry claimed, married ladies (matronae) and [other] women do not constitute our ruling body (senatus), exercising authority in church congregations, and that the prejudice of women does not determine priestly rank.