Is Bible the Word of God

What do they believe? What do you think? Talk about religion as it exists today.
ghost

Re: Is Bible the Word of God

Post by ghost »

leom700x wrote:But, on the other hand, if the greatest and most influential book of the ages, containing the most beautiful literature and the most perfect moral code ever devised, was written by deceiving fanatics, then what hope is there for ever finding meaning and purpose in this world?
A moral code makes no sense without people who actually practice what they preach. Try looking up "greatest man of all time". You'll see Caesar is among the search results. Now guess who the bible is about.
Doom157

Post by Doom157 »

So the Bible is the word of God. We should be obedient to what is stored there.
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

A moral code makes no sense without people who actually practice what they preach. Try looking up "greatest man of all time". You'll see Caesar is among the search results. Now guess who the bible is about.
The single-handedly stupidest thing said at this forum to date. BTW when I do a Google search for 'greatest man of all time' 'Julius Caesar' I get about 262,000 pages. 'greatest man of all time' Jesus about 864,000. So I guess you can stop posting about this nonsense now. Settled.
dr.tony

Post by dr.tony »

no.

the bible was written by men.

what is written in the bible was obtained either by experience or by "revelation"

the bible includes:

testimonies of witnesses of historical events. this is objective.
stories illustrating deeper truths based upon the experience of men.
wise words from men of great experience.
descriptions of visions experienced by men.

what is verifiable is objective. what is not cannot be verified. i.e. no one was in the desert with jesus when he was tempted, so no one really knows what went on there.
no one was there before the creation of the world to know of any events that occurred then, so whether jesus lived at the foundation of the earth cannot be proven.

the gospels were written by men who accompanied jesus. these are historical documents.

jesus resurrection was attested to by many witnesses and becomes a matter of fact. the question is, what does it mean?

if you distinguish historicity from superstition, the bible makes sense.

you must LISTEN TO WHAT JESUS SAID, take the essence of the teaching and apply its universal wisdom to your life. then it becomes alive.
and use our God-given brains to make intelligent observations and decisions based on those.

remember that paul the apostle was not born of a virgin, nor was there at the foundation of the world, nor was he visibly resurrected.
so his words do not bear any more weight than any other man's.

amen brother.
g_n_o_s_i_s

Post by g_n_o_s_i_s »

The "must perfect moral code"? Guess owning slaves is a perfectly moral thing to do.