Was there a proto-Genesis-Creation writing?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
austendw

Re: Was there a proto-Genesis-Creation writing?

Post by austendw »

austendw wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 pm
rgprice wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:18 pm Also, BTW, note that the only places in the Pentateuch that the phrase "sons of God" is used is Genesis 6 and Deuteronomy 32, which I consider a significant clue that the writer of Genesis 1-11 is the same person who wrote the ending of the Pentateuch as well.
Although I agree that Deuteronomy 32 has a reference to sons of Elohim that is surely related to their presence in Genesis 6:1-4, the separate appearances don't actually tell the same story. In one, by my reconstruction of the earliest version, the sons of God/Gods/Elohim mate with the daughters of Man/Adam, becoming the fathers of heroic demi-gods and (as narrated in the Babel story [Gen 11:1-9] which I think is its original sequel,) become the fathers of the nations of the world. In Deuteronomy 32 the sons of Elohim, are allocated to the nations (including Yahweh to Israel). Here the association of a particular son of god with a particular people is certainly similar, but expressed by rather different means. So I find the notion that they were written by the same person implausible.

(edited for style)