Temple Relics Supposedly in the Vatican Archive, Says Otherwise Unknown 'Expert' Scholar

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Odin

Re: Temple Relics Supposedly in the Vatican Archive, Says Otherwise Unknown 'Expert' Scholar

Post by Odin »

I'm not surprised at all. A few years ago I read a book about Bernard of Clairvaux. That he had an inventory list of artefacts that his father and uncle brought from Jerusalem. My opinion is that they have a lot more in there cambers. They can even have the ark.
No one has seen the list. And either what artefacts. Eight generations later the Turin Shroud was confiscated by the Vatican. Only to humiliate the real owners.
And that's the point of Vatican.
Paul the Uncertain

Re: Temple Relics Supposedly in the Vatican Archive, Says Otherwise Unknown 'Expert' Scholar

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

Michael A. Calvo is an international lawyer who writes on a variety of topics from a pro-Israel stance. Here's a sample of his work which includes his views on the (supposed) Vatican holdings of Herodian Temple artifacts:

https://www.jns.org/opinion/israel-and-the-holy-see/

While I do not endorse his scholarship or politics, it is perhaps unfair to characterize Calvo as "otherwise unknown," unless of course you meant only that you personally had not previously encountered his work. "Controversial" would, however, be justified in my opinion. On this specific point, Calvo joins a long line of people who speculate about what is in the Vatican library and museum vaults.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

According to Vatican expert Dr. Michael A. Calvo
Is Michael A Calvo's 'expertise' on the Vatican recognized? Perhaps 'unknown' doesn't properly modify 'expert.' I assumed that an unknown expert would be the same as someone having 'unknown expertise.' It may be another sign that my language skills aren't as good as I assume they are.
Paul the Uncertain

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

Your English language skills are fine. Your post made me curious who this fellow was. I am not qualified to evaluate his qualifications to opine about what the Vatican does or doesn't own.

His relevant expertise appears to be international Law. Apparently there are a number of issues where the Holy See and Israel have yet to settle their differences, although they maintain diplomatic relations. The possible possession by the Vatican of items looted from the Herodian Temple doesn't appear to be Calvo's main focus, but it is at least a potential issue between the states, which relationship does interest him.

Now you know all I know about him.