Who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
semiopen

Re: Who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Post by semiopen »

John T wrote:Spin posted: "Jesus, what a hopeless case you [John T] are. The name is Yizhar Hirschfeld. Check it out. He was an archaeologist at Tel Aviv University who had a long respected career."

Sorry but it his name was spelled: "Yizahan Hirshfeld". Now if you still don't believe me, then simply go to the video at 27.38 minutes and you will see that I copied down his name correctly. Keep watching for a few moments and he goes a step further on your "willy-nilly" theory by adding his own "perfume theory".

http://youtu.be/wneSV0FOsMA

Spin, I know how much you enjoy spinning but I enjoy exposing your spin even more.

Got anymore spin for me, Spin?
Spin might have given up, but thanks for the no book recommendation.

Maybe if Dr. Hirschfeld held up a sign in the video saying my name is Yizahan, your claim would have some credence.

The video is apparently sponsored by a Yoshke group and it looks like they just misspelled his name.

I haven't been following this discussion closely but hopefully your other arguments are stronger than this one.
John T

Post by John T »

@semiopen,

You got to give it to Spin for the audacity of his non sequitur, that if: The name Yizahan Hirshfeld was misspelled that goes to prove Spins' "willy-nilly" theory is correct.

Please remember, I asked if Spin knew (verify) who it was in the video. Did he do that or did Spin just spin once again?

As far as Vermes not having all of the scrolls in his book, in his preface he writes this: "While this translation does not claim to cover every fragment retrieved from the caves, it is complete in one sense: it offers in a readable form all the texts sufficiently well preserved to be understandable in English. In plain words, meaningless scraps of badly damaged manuscript sections are not inflicted on the reader."...Geza Vermes

Now if only we can get Spin to get pass the ad hominem attacks and concentrate on the hard evidence, then we just might learn something productive. However, if you already know the truth but don't want others to know the truth, then out of an inflated ego/arrogance it is only logical to default to ad hominem attacks and spin.

Cheap and dirty tricks of rhetoric only work on gullible minds.
Now can we get back to facts as to who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
nili

Post by nili »

Your view of Lawrence Schiffman?
nili

Post by nili »

John T wrote:@Spin,

Thank you for your comments.
The more you trash the hard evidence and the scholars who have debunked your "willy-nilly" theory, the more people see you for who you are.
You appear to be projecting.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

semiopen wrote:Does anyone know of an analysis of the Biblical books?
All translations have to be limited to those fragments that can be made sense of in some reasonable way, otherwise what are you really "translating"?

To get original language AND English translation of all the fragments, biblical and non-biblical, one would need to refer to the multi-volume The Dead Sea Scrolls: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts with English translations, edited by James H. Charlesworth (Tübingen: Mohr [Siebeck], 1994– ), but I cannot tell yet if the biblical fragments have yet been published.

However, if English translation alone is OK, then the most recent translation of the biblical DSS I am aware of (and I have not looked hard very recently) is The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible by Martin Abegg Jr., Peter Flint, Eugene Ulrich (2002)

If you want the DSS sectarian fragments, try The Dead Sea Scrolls: Study Edition, by Florentino Garcia Martinez & Eibert J. C. Tigchelaar (1999) which has the advantage of the Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek on one page and an English translation on the facing page.

DCH
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

There is also the stuff held by Kando:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lions.html
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

DCHindley wrote:
semiopen wrote:Does anyone know of an analysis of the Biblical books?
All translations have to be limited to those fragments that can be made sense of in some reasonable way, otherwise what are you really "translating"?

DCH
Thanks for the advice.

I read there is not all that much there in many cases after I posted.

I thought of getting The Dead Sea Scrolls: A Very Short Introduction by Timothy Lin, it's only $6 or so on kindle. The problem is, even if I read it, I still probably won't be ready for any nasty arguments.

Remember Fessenheim.
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Stephan Huller wrote:There is also the stuff held by Kando:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lions.html
If he's "holding" them they must be in his coffin. DCH
John T

Post by John T »

semiopen posted: "I thought of getting The Dead Sea Scrolls: A Very Short Introduction by Timothy Lin, it's only $6 or so on kindle. The problem is, even if I read it, I still probably won't be ready for any nasty arguments."

I have several different books on the Dead Sea Scrolls. Most of them are in storage because they do not have the clear and succinct commentary as Geza Vermes; The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English.

What I took away from the DSS when I read them for the first time is that the style and message is very, very different from the Old Testament as well as they have a lot in common with the apocalyptic writings of the New Testament.

Because of that, leaders on both sides, Christian and Jewish see the DSS as a direct threat to their doctrines and take it upon themselves to discourage laymen from reading them.

I can imagine that just a few hundred years ago, if you were found with a copy of the DSS you would be burned at the stake. That is how radical from the current dogma they are. Yet, the Essenes and their doctrines were known and respected by the common Jew during the time of Jesus.
"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."...Jonathan Swift
Sheshbazzar

Post by Sheshbazzar »

John T posted: Now can we get back to facts as to who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls?

With there being some 981 Qumran texts discovered, written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Nabataean, and with individual texts being dated to from -400 BCE to 300+ CE constituting the content of the 'Dead Sea Scrolls', Why would one assume that all of these texts originated at Qumran or were exclusively composed by the writers of any single sect?
Last edited by Sheshbazzar on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.