Daniel 9:26 - Cyrus

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Daniel 9:26 - Cyrus

Post by Ethan »

All the translations exaggerate this verse, NIV "Anointed One will be put to death" to emphases the unrelated New Testament and Messiah is the special title given to King Cyrus in Isaiah 45:1.

1 Samuel 20:16
Jonathan [יהונתן] made a covenant [ויכרת] with [עם] house of David [בית דוד].

Daniel 9:26
Messiah [משיח] made a covenant [יכרת]

ויכרת translates into ἐξαρθῆναι 'to lift up, exalt', the adjective, ἐξαιρετός that is הבכרות means 'taken out, picked out, choice' (Jeremiah 24:2) and in Daniel 4:42, the word 'Decree' is גזרת from a root meaning 'to cut out', the Septuagint translates σύγκριμα from κρίνω 'to pick out' also roots the very word, 'Decree'. So words meaning 'to cut or pick out' in both Hebrew and Greek are words that root words for 'decree, covenant and treaty'. Daniel 9:27 reads והגביר ברית that is κέρεϊ ῥητήν.

Daniel 9:25 reads 'to restore and to build Jerusalem' which was done through a decree made by Cyrus in Ezra 1:2.
so the Messiah in Daniel 9:25 can only have being Cyrus. so named Messiah in Isaiah 45:1.

μωσικός/משיח
of persons, skilled in music, musical, generally, votary of the Muses, man of letters and accomplishments, scholar, of things, elegant, delicate.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Re: Daniel 9:26 - Cyrus

Post by Ethan »

King Cyrus fulfilled all the Messianic prophecies in the Old Testament and the character of Jesus in the New Testament was based on him, Christ puns כורש [Kowresh].

Xenophon, Cyropaedia 1.3 (Child prodigy aged 12)
Cyrus received until he was twelve years old or a little more; and he showed himself superior to all the other boys of his age both in mastering his tasks quickly and in doing everything in a thorough and manly fashion.

The grandmother of King Cyrus was Aryenis, a Lydian of the 'House of Gyges', the name Γύγ resembles דוד
for Γ/ד interchange between Hebrew and Greek.

The Last Supper of King Cyrus (Eucharist)
Seeing the banquet spread they sat down and feasted, and after they had had their fill of food and wine
(Herodotus 1.211)

In Biblical Hebrew, "Bread and Wine" that is לחם ויין can also be "Food and Wine", since לחם also means meat, probably any food that is baked.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Book of Ezra presents a list of the Persian Kings.
- Ezra 4:6-7 ; כורש (Cyrus), דריוש (Darius), אחשורוש (Xerxes), ארתחששתא (Artaxerxes).

The name for Xerxes is very different compared too Artaxerxes in Hebrew written אחשורוש (ahsurus), this transliterates into Ασουηρος that appears in Daniel 9.1 that reads in KJV as 'Darius the son of Ahasuerus' in comparison to Ezra, should read 'Darius (son of Xerxes I)'

Darius was crown prince of the Persian Empire. He was the eldest son of the Persian king Xerxes I and his wife Amestris, but was put to death though conspiracy and his younger brother, Artaxerxes, succeeded, however Daniel 10:1 reads ' third year of Cyrus king of Persia' which aligns with Josephus.

Antiquities of the Jews - 11.1841
after the death of Xerxes, the kingdom came to be transferred to his son Cyrus, whom the Greeks called Artaxerxes.

This confirms that the Jews knew Artaxerxes as Cyrus.

Daniel 5:31 - Darius I ; 522–486 BCE
Daniel 9.1 - Darius (son of Xerxes I) ; d. 465 BC
Daniel 10.1 - Artaxerxes ; 465–424 BCE

(post-Babylon)
Nabû-kudurri-uṣur III - (c. 522 BC)
Nabû-kudurri-uṣur IV - (c 520 BC)

I believe the so-named Nebuchadnezzar (נבוכדנאצר) was probably Nb-k3-n-R (Nebkaenre) [Psammetichus IV] c. 480 BCE, it is known through Herodotus that a revolt occurred in Egypt in conjunction with the last years of Darius I and the rise of Xerxes I, who, once crowned, promptly suppressed the rebel and aligns with the Book of Genesis and its a parallel.
Pharaoh called upon 'Magicians'(chartom חַרְטֹם) who could not interpret.(Gen 41:8)
Nebuchadnezzar II called upon ' Magicians' (chartom חַרְטֹם)) who could not interpret(Dan 2:2)

Joseph summoned to interpret the Dream (Gen 41:15)
Daniel summoned to interpret the Dream (Dan 2:26)

Joseph is made ruler of Egypt (Gen 41:43)
Daniel made ruler of Babylon (Dan 2:48)
Psammetichus [Ψαμμήτιχος] = Joseph [יוסף]

Genesis 41:49
Joseph gathered corn as the sand (ψάμμον) of the sea, very much, until he left numbering; for it was without number. " ψῆφος ἄμμου" (ψῆφος, ψᾶφος "counting") -ψῆφ = סף-, -σηφ. (Genesis 30:24 - יסף "counting" = ψᾶφος ).

In Genesis 41:45, Zaphnathpaaneah in the Septuagint is Ψονθομφανηχ that resembles Ψαμμήτιχος.

We have correspondence between Darius I and Elephantine (Greek Colony) but not between his successors , such as Artaxerxes, so something happened to Elephantine, perhaps a revolt, probably to do with the construction of Darius' Canal, alluded in the Book of Exodus, so perhaps the people of Elephantine where resettled in newly founded temple state of Judea (Exodus) and the decree in Ezra 1:2 was that of Artaxerxes (Isaiah 45:1).
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Daniel 2:48
Then the king made Daniel (דניאל) a great man, and gave him many great gifts, and made him ruler(שלט) over the whole province of Babylon. (מדינת בבל) and chief of the governors over all the wise men of Babylon.

This is a peculiar verse, here, Babylon is a province, which became so during the Persian Empire and DANIEL is made ruler
of the province, this position also known as 'Satrap.

I have concluded that 'Daniel' (Ruler of Babylon) is the Merodach Baladan mentioned in Isaiah 39:1, the name Baladan, which
is בלאדן is a form of דניאל and also Mordechai Bilshan in Nehemiah 7:7 and also the Mordecai
of the Book of Esther.

Mordecai in the Book of Esther foils an assassination plot against the King and he was rewarded.

Esther 8:2
The king took off his ring, which he had taken from Haman, and gave it unto Mordecai And Esther set Mordecai over the house of Haman.

Now the first component of the name Daniel is דן from דין in Greek, this is δίκη, δίκᾶ, δίκᾶς that are also variant of צדיק, is perhaps the suffix of מרדכי with -מר being the Aramaic word for Lord or King, hence "Lord of Righteousness" similar too מלכי־צדק (Melchizedek).

The King in Esther 8:1 is called Ahasuerus which the very name in Daniel 9:1.