Satyr

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Satyr

Post by Ethan »

שעיר (Satyr) 'He goat'

Leviticus 17:7
And they shall no more offer their sacrifices unto Satyrs, after whom they have gone a whoring.

Zechariah 13:3 - אדרת שער δορὰ Σάτυρος
Neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive:

Plat. Euthyd. 285c
Then Ctesippus said: I too, Socrates, am ready to offer myself to be skinned by the strangers even more, if they choose, than they are doing now, if my hide (δορὰ ) is not to end by being made into a wine-skin (ἀσκὸν) , like that of Marsyas, but into the shape of virtue

Marsyas
Marsyas the Satyr is a central figure in two stories involving music: in one, he picked up the double oboe (aulos) that had been abandoned by Athena and played it;[1][2] in the other, he challenged Apollo to a contest of music and lost his hide and life. In antiquity, literary sources often emphasise the hubris of Marsyas and the justice of his punishment.

In the contest between Apollo and Marsyas, the terms stated that the winner could treat the defeated party any way he wanted. Since the contest was judged by the Muses,[8] Marsyas naturally lost and was flayed alive in a cave near Celaenae for his hubris to challenge a god. Apollo then nailed Marsyas' skin to a pine tree, near Lake Aulocrene (the Turkish Karakuyu Gölü),

In Rome, He was depicted as a silen,[24] carrying a wineskin on his left shoulder and raising his right arm. The statue was regarded as an indicium libertatis, a symbol of liberty, and was associated with demonstrations of the plebs, or common people.

The Crucifixion of Marsyas
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Joseph D. L.

Re: Satyr

Post by Joseph D. L. »

According to Pindar and Euripides, Ixion was nailed to a spinning wheel of fire (an allusion to the sun). The wheel is often depicted with four spokes, or two intersecting planks.

Image Image
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Leviticus 16:21
And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live Satyr, and confess over him all the iniquities, Sins and transgressions
putting them upon the head of the Satyr, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness

Leviticus 16:22
And the Satyr shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

Leviticus 16:26
And he that let go the Satyr for the scapegoat(ἄφεσιν) shall wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in water, and afterward come into the camp.

John 1:29
Behold the Goat, which take away the sin of the world.
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Which means Jesus, who takes away Sins was a Satyr ,

Mark 1:6 : τρίχας καμήλου ζώνην δερματίνην
2 Kings 1:8 : ζώνην δερματίνην
2 Kings 2:8 : μηλωτὴν

καμήλου (Camlet) from μήλου means sheepskin or any rough woolly skin including the woven-fabric
of a Goat, also worn by Elijah and Esau and τρίχας (Trichas) is a common reading of שער (Se'ar)
which means Goat, or Satyr (שעיר ).

-Elijah the Satyr-
2 Kings 2:6 - Elijah said unto him, Tarry, I pray thee, here; for the LORD hath sent me to Jordan.
Mark 1:5 - Were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan (Eridanos) ( Rintomo in Sparta)

2 Kings 2:12 - And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father,
Mark 15:34 - Jesus cried with a loud voice, My God, my God

2 Kings 2:12 - he took hold of his own clothes(ἱματίων ) and rent them in two(διέρρηξεν ) pieces.
Mark 15:24 - and they parted(διαμερίζω) his garments(ἱμάτιον)

Mat 28:2 - And, behold, there was a great Hurricane (σεισμός )
2 Kings 2:11 -Elijah went up by a whirlwind (συσσεισμῷ ) into heaven.

The 'Scapegoat' in Leviticus 16:26, the Greek word is αφεσις (Aphesis) and means 'Remission'
used in Mark 1:4 and in Hebrew, חפשה (Haphash) "Liberty", also means saddle-cloth (for horse riding)
or ἵππιος (Hippios), Satyrs are also part-horse.

1 Kings 17:1 - Elijah the Tishbite (Actor) ( Thespis )
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Ixion

The father of the race of centaurs, Ixion was punished by madness for murdering his father-in-law. After he was pardoned he attempted to supplant Jupiter in Juno’s bed and was consequently condemned to be turned on a wheel for all eternity. Ribera depicts the wheel being set in motion by a satyr who has chained Ixion to it

Ixion was reckoned the first man guilty of kin-slaying in Greek mythology. That alone would warrant him a terrible punishment
and in the Torah, the first man guilty kin-slaying was Cain/

Ixion was expelled from Olympus and blasted with a thunderbolt. Zeus ordered Hermes to bind Ixion to a winged fiery wheel that was always spinning. Therefore, Ixion is bound to a burning solar wheel for all eternity, at first spinning across the heavens.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Σατυρος επι Σταυρος

Herodotus 7.26
The skin of Marsyas the Silenus also hangs there; the Phrygian story tells that it was flayed off him and hung up by Apollo.
Σιληνοῦ Μαρσύεω ἀσκὸς ἀνακρέμαται, τὸν ὑπὸ Φρυγῶν λόγος ἔχει ὑπὸ ἐκδαρέντα ἀνακρεμασθῆναι.

ἐκδαρέντα "strip off the skin"
ἐκδέρω > אדרת "Addereth "

The violent punishment of the Scapegoat, Marsyas is followed by a ritual mourning and the community is renewed
through the creation of a new river , so the sacrifice of Marsyas provides positive fruits.
Leviticus 16:8
And Aaron shall cast lots(κλῆρον) upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat

Mark 15:15
And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots(κλῆρο ) upon them, what every man should take.

2Ki 2:12
And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

He took up also the mantle(ἐκδέρω) of Elijah that fell from him, and went back, and stood by the bank of Jordan;

2Ki 2:21
And he went forth unto the spring of the waters, and cast the salt in there, and said, Thus saith the LORD, I have healed these waters; there shall not be from thence any more death or barren land.