Josiah Messiah

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Josiah Messiah

Post by Ethan »

1 kings 13:2
Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name.

Zechariah 12:10
And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

2 Chronciles 35:23
And the archers shot at king Josiah; and the king said to his servants, Have me away; for I am sore wounded.

2 Chronicles 35:25
Jeremiah lamented for Josiah: and all the singing men and the singing women spake of Josiah in their lamentations to this day, and made them an ordinance in Israel: and, behold, they are written in the lamentations

1. Josiah was an only Son
2. Josiah was the son of God (אמן )
3. Micah, Joel, Lamentations & Zachariah are obituaries too Josiah
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Re: Josiah Messiah

Post by Ethan »

There is so much lamentation towards Josiah and yet the history of him is very brief, they are two versions, the Chronicle and Kings version and they are contradictions between the two versions.

In terms of Historical record, no evidence.

However reading through various historical figures in Ancient Judea, one particular figure stood out, ONIAS III
and the similarities are almost identical.

Onias III

1. Pious man who opposed the Hellenization of Judea * Hephaestus (2Ki 23:10)
2. A murdered priest deeply mourned by both Jews and Greeks
3. Onias/Josiah murdered in North Syria by Ἀνδρό-Νιχαω / Νεχαω
4. Son of Amon/Simon
5. ανιασιε (יאשיה)
6. Father of Eliakim also called Jehoiakim
7. Father of Johanan (another name for Onias) * Onias IV
8. possible Father of Mattathias (2Ki 24:17) the founder of the Maccabees

This would identify Nebuchadnezzar with Antiochus IV Epiphanes
1.Persecution of Jews
2.held a mild suzerainty over Judea:
3. War against Egypt , seizing the important strategic town of Pelusium. (Jer 43:10)
4. the Biblical Nebuchadnezzar had a brief reign compared to the 43 year reign of kudurri
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

One of the odd attributes of Josiah is burning-bones.

1 Kings 13:2
And he cried against the altar in the word of the LORD, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

2 Kings 23:16
And as Josiah turned himself, he spied the sepulchres that were there in the mount, and sent, and took the bones out of the sepulchres, and burned them upon the altar, and polluted it, according to the word of the LORD which the man of God proclaimed, who proclaimed these words

Jeremiah 8:1
At that time, saith the LORD, they shall bring out the bones of the kings of Judah, and the bones of his princes, and the bones of the priests, and the bones of the prophets, and the bones of the inhabitants of Jerusalem, out of their graves: And they shall spread them before the sun, and the moon, and all the host of heaven, whom they have loved, and whom they have served, and after whom they have walked, and whom they have sought, and whom they have worshipped: they shall not be gathered, nor be buried; they shall be for dung upon the face of the earth.

Matthew 27:52
The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Identifying Onias III with Josiah then the 'Ezra-Nehemiah' would cover the Maccabees " 167 BCE to 37 BCE"
thus narrowing the Gap between the Old & New Testament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobiads

* Tobiads were a Jewish faction in Ammon at the beginning of the Maccabean period. They were phil-Hellene, in other words supporters of the Hellenistic tendencies in Judaism in the early years of the 2nd century BCE.

Nehemiah 4:3
Tobiah the Ammonite

Neh 13:1
On that day they read in the book of Moses in the audience of the people; and therein was found written, that the Ammonite and the Moabite should not come into the congregation of God for ever

Neh 13:8
And it grieved me sore: therefore I cast forth all the household stuff of Tobiah out of the chamber.

Neh 29
Remember them, O my God, because they have defiled the priesthood, and the covenant of the priesthood, and of the Levites.