Jewish angels.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Jewish angels.

Post by Ethan »

The word for an Angel in the Hebrew Language is מַלְאָךְ (mal'ak) , in Greek ἄγγελος (Aggelos), but the definition of these words is 'Envoy' and can refer too a Merchant'. Are Angels glorified Merchants?.

The term 'Angel' is found throughout the Hebrew Bible but none of them are named.

Gabriel is called a Man in Daniel 9:21

Angel & Messenger are translated from the same word, מלאך so why not use the same English word for every instance.

2Sa 5:11
Hiram king of Tyre sent angels to David and cedar trees, and carpenters, and masons: and they built David an house.

Pro 13:17
A wicked Angel falleth into mischief: but a faithful ambassador is health.

2 Kings 1:3
But the angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, Arise, go up to meet the angels of the king of Samaria, and say unto them, Is it not because there is not a God in Israel, that ye go to enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron?
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
MrMacSon

Re: Jewish angels.

Post by MrMacSon »

Ethan wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:14 am
The word for an Angel in the Hebrew Language is מַלְאָךְ (mal'ak) , in Greek ἄγγελος (Aggelos), but the definition of these words is 'Envoy' and can refer too a Merchant'. Are Angels glorified Merchants?.

The term 'Angel' is found throughout the Hebrew Bible but none of them are named.

Gabriel is called a Man in Daniel 9:211

Angel & Messenger are translated from the same word, מלאך so why not use the same English word for every instance.
1 There seems to be interchangeability in Zechariah too -

Zech 1 (NIV)
. . .
8 During the night I had a vision, and there before me was a man mounted on a red horse. He was standing among the myrtle trees in a ravine. Behind him were red, brown and white horses.

9 I asked, “What are these, my lord?”

The angel who was talking with me answered, “I will show you what they are.”

10 Then the man standing among the myrtle trees explained, “They are the ones the Lord has sent to go throughout the earth.”

11 And they reported to the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees, “We have gone throughout the earth and found the whole world at rest and in peace.”

12 Then the angel of the Lord said, “Lord Almighty, how long will you withhold mercy from Jerusalem and from the towns of Judah, which you have been angry with these seventy years?” 13 So the Lord spoke kind and comforting words to the angel who talked with me.

14 Then the angel who was speaking to me said, “Proclaim this word: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘I am very jealous for Jerusalem and Zion, 15 and I am very angry with the nations that feel secure. I was only a little angry, but they went too far with the punishment.’

16 “Therefore this is what the Lord says: ‘I will return to Jerusalem with mercy, and there my house will be rebuilt. And the measuring line will be stretched out over Jerusalem,’ declares the Lord Almighty.

17 “Proclaim further: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘My towns will again overflow with prosperity, and the Lord will again comfort Zion and choose Jerusalem.’”

18 Then I looked up, and there before me were four horns. 19 I asked the angel who was speaking to me, “What are these?”

He answered me, “These are the horns that scattered Judah, Israel and Jerusalem.”

20 Then the Lord showed me four craftsmen. 21 I asked, “What are these coming to do?”

He answered, “These are the horns that scattered Judah so that no one could raise their head, but the craftsmen have come to terrify them and throw down these horns of the nations who lifted up their horns against the land of Judah to scatter its people.”

Zech 2 -
1 Then I looked up, and there before me was a man with a measuring line in his hand. 2 I asked, “Where are you going?”

He answered me, “To measure Jerusalem, to find out how wide and how long it is.”

3 While the angel who was speaking to me was leaving, another angel came to meet him 4 and said to him: “Run, tell that young man, ‘Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of people and animals in it. 5 And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,’ declares the Lord, ‘and I will be its glory within.’

6 “Come! Come! Flee from the land of the north,” declares the Lord, “for I have scattered you to the four winds of heaven,” declares the Lord.

Zech 3 -
1 Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan[a] standing at his right side to accuse him. 2 The Lord said to Satan, “The Lord rebuke you, Satan! The Lord, who has chosen Jerusalem, rebuke you! Is not this man a burning stick snatched from the fire?”

3 Now Joshua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. 4 The angel said to those who were standing before him, “Take off his filthy clothes.”

Then he said to Joshua, “See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put fine garments on you.”

5 Then I said, “Put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him, while the angel of the Lord stood by.

6 The angel of the Lord gave this charge to Joshua: 7 “This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘If you will walk in obedience to me and keep my requirements, then you will govern my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you a place among these standing here.

Zech 4 -
1 Then the angel who talked with me returned and woke me up, like someone awakened from sleep. 2 He asked me, “What do you see?”

I answered, “I see a solid gold lampstand with a bowl at the top and seven lamps on it, with seven channels to the lamps. 3 Also there are two olive trees by it, one on the right of the bowl and the other on its left.”

4 I asked the angel who talked with me, “What are these, my lord?”

5 He answered, “Do you not know what these are?”

“No, my lord,” I replied.

6 So he said to me, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.

7 “What are you, mighty mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become level ground. Then he will bring out the capstone to shouts of ‘God bless it! God bless it!’”

8 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this temple; his hands will also complete it. Then you will know that the Lord Almighty has sent me to you.

10 “Who dares despise the day of small things, since the seven eyes of the Lord that range throughout the earth will rejoice when they see the chosen capstone[a] in the hand of Zerubbabel?”

11 Then I asked the angel, “What are these two olive trees on the right and the left of the lampstand?”

semiopen

Post by semiopen »

There is no word for angel in Hebrew that I'm aware of.

As pointed out, the most common Hebrew word that is used for angel is - ‎מַלְאַ֣ךְ messenger.

Sometimes there is a little confusion when a messenger from God is talking about messengers as in the example Ethan gives -
But an angel of the LORD said to Elijah the Tishbite, "Go and confront the messengers of the king of Samaria and say to them, 'Is there no God in Israel that you go to inquire of Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron? (2 Ki. 1:3 TNK)
Needless to say, the translation Ethan gives is silly, I didn't bother looking up whether a reasonable bible translation actually says "angels of the king of Samaria". Personally, I would have translated the first part as "messenger of the Lord" but I'm sure a colleague could talk me out of that if he bought me a few drinks.

Another word used is ‎אִישׁ - Man. That's common in the Patriarchal Narratives.

For example, Jacob's gay dalliance at the River before he meets Esau -
Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the break of dawn. (Gen. 32:25 TNK)
Abraham meeting the three men -
Looking up, he saw three men standing near him. As soon as he saw them, he ran from the entrance of the tent to greet them and, bowing to the ground, (Gen. 18:2 TNK)
Joseph looking for his brothers -
a man came upon him wandering in the fields. The man asked him, "What are you looking for?" (Gen. 37:15 TNK)
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

The common attribute of Angels is the terminal L, I believe designates לוי , not אל because
in Deuteronomy 28:44, לו in the Septuagint is δανιεῖ (Daniei) compare with Daniel (דניאל ), a Levy (Ezr 8:2).

Deuteronomy 15:1-2
At the end of every seven years thou shalt make a release (שְׁמִטָּה)

Every creditor that lendeth ought unto his neighbour shall release it
- משה (Moses) = Creditor/Loan/Extortioner
- נשה ( Nashah)
|> translated δανειστὴς ( Daneisths ) , from δανείζω (Daneizo) 'put out money at usury, lend'

Then the name LEVI literally means LEVY ( Tax collector).

Deu 31:10
Moses commanded them, saying, At the end of every seven years, in the solemnity of the year of release(שְׁמִטָּה), in the feast of tabernacles.
Exo 23:11
But the seventh year thou shalt let it rest (שָׁמַט)
Lev 25:4
But in the seventh year shall be a sabbath of rest unto the land

Dan 9:21
Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly,

Also note that אבר (abar ) means 'Fly' and from this root we get Hebrew.

Job 39:26
Doth the hawk fly(Abar) by thy wisdom, and stretch(Paras) her wings toward the south

Then the Hebrew ( Flyers ) are synonymous with Phoenicians ( The Phoenix), the Merchants, who's patron deity is a winged-demigod
or Hermes, Hercules, Melqart, Mercurius or Perseus (פרש).

2Sa 22:11
And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly (uwph) : and he was seen upon the wings of the wind.

Gabriel (גבריאל)
-גבר = κυρ- / -κυλ ( Hercules)
- Cherub , Chariot, Poreion, אַפִּרְיוֹן (Aprion)
- μπορος (Emporos) 'one who goes on ship-board as a passenger'
- ἔφορος ( Ephoros) 'overseer, guardian, ruler
-ἔμφορος (Emforos) 'profitable
- ἔφορος (פַּרְעֹה)
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

The Angels are depicted with Wings, of what bird?

Exodus 19:4 - How I bare you on eagles' wings

1.נשרים Nesher ( Eagles)
2.כנפ Kanaph( Wings )

In Greek, κνέφας ( Knephas) means 'darkness' and in Isaiah 30:20, the word כנפ (Kanaph) means 'hidden from view'
and thus the noun, כנפ meant a 'shadow' (from the wings of a large bird ).

נשרים as a unknown-etymology according too the Lexicon, perhaps from נצרים (Natser) ' watcher

Jeremiah 4:16 - The watchers come from a far country [מארץ]

Far-country is merchaq [מֶרְחָק], the translation is Makrothen (μάκροθεν) and the root word
of merchaq [מֶרְחָק] is Recheq [רָחֵק], similar too Rechem [רָחָם], another word for an Eagle
and it's translation is καταράκτην ( Kata rakthn) 'down-rushing' and also ἱέρακα ( Ieraka)
and this name reassembles Jericho, this place is often described as 'the city of Palm-trees'
and the Greek word for 'Palm Tree' is Phoenix.

There is a connection however between Palm trees and Cherubs.

Eze 41:18
It was made with Cherubims and palm trees, so that a palm tree was between a cherub and a cherub; and every cherub had two faces

χάρων ( Charon) - Eagle
γρύψ ( Grups) - Griffin
κῆρυξ (Kerux) - Herald

* κῆρυξ is the name of the Bird and also ' Public-messenger '
- Herald : (1) messenger, envoy (2) species of seabird

Daniel 3:4
Then an herald (כָּרוֹז) cried aloud, To you it is commanded, O people, nations, and languages
* כָּרוֹז (karowz ) , κῆρυξ (Kerux) in the Septuagint
* כְּרַז (kĕraz ) - to herald, proclaim, make proclamation

כרוב
כרוז
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Aggelos ( Envoy / Angel )

In Ancient Persian, ' Aggaros ' is a mounted-courier , in Aramaic, אגרתא (iggĕra) means Letter, and the
root meaning of the word means 'swift, fleet or light' , thus קָלַל (qalal) and קַל (Qal) 'swift, light, fleet' .

Elaphros (ἐλαφρός) 'light in weight' .
Abaris (Ἄβαρις) 'weightless'
Abrah ( אֵבְרָה) 'feather' .

Agalah (עֲגָלָה) means 'Wagon, Cart or Chariot' and thus this can also designate a Courier and since this
word begins with (G)ayin, explains the double-g in Aggelos, GGLE (עֲגָלָה).
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

מלאך ( Malak)
- Merx / Merchant
- Melqart, Hercules or Herakles
- Mercurius
- Market

שאל ( SAL) " Lend, Request, Ask"
- ἐξαποστέλλω ( Exapostellw) " dispatch"
- καλέω (Kalew) ' call , summon'

שלח (SLH) 'Send'
-στέλλω (Stellw) 'dispatch'
-ἀποστέλλω (Apostellw) 'send off'

These words are in the names, Methusael & Methuselah
- Methuselah = μεταστέλλω ( Metastellah) 'to send for, summon'
- Methusael = μετακαλέω ( Metakalah) ' recall'

The other names also have Greek cognates in the Cain-Seth list of names.
- Enoch = ἐνεκαίνισεν ( Enekainisen) "Restore"
- Irad = χωράζω ( Xorazo) ' set-up, town'
- Lamech = λάβετε/λάζομαι ' take hold or carry off
- Mehujael = Καλοὶ λιμένες (Kaloi limene) ' fair-havens (מָחוֹז)
- Cain/Kaanan = καινίζω 'make new' ( or φοίνικος )