The Dosithean Torah of Stephen

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

The Dosithean Torah of Stephen

Post by Secret Alias »

1. At one time the Pentateuch was an Tetrateuch (Deuteronomy added later)
2. Exodus 20 seems to have had an added section immediately following the Ten Commandments:
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Tell the Israelites this: ‘You have seen for yourselves that I have spoken to you from heaven: 23 Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold.

24 “‘Make an altar of earth for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, your sheep and goats and your cattle. Wherever I cause my name to be honored, I will come to you and bless you. 25 If you make an altar of stones for me, do not build it with dressed stones, for you will defile it if you use a tool on it. 26 And do not go up to my altar on steps, or your private parts may be exposed.’
All that follows in chapter 21f makes no sense. The Israelites who receive the 10 commandments never fulfilled any of these idiotic sacrificial commandments. Never had Hebrew slaves:
“If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free ... (Exodus 21.2)
It's obviously a late addition. So too everything else such as farming rules
“Celebrate the Festival of Harvest with the firstfruits of the crops you sow in your field ..." (Exodus 23)
The obvious place that the original narrative begins from is the bit about the "sending an angel to guard you along the way ..."
See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared. 21 Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my Name is in him. 22 If you listen carefully to what he says and do all that I say, I will be an enemy to your enemies and will oppose those who oppose you. 23 My angel will go ahead of you and bring you into the land of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites, and I will wipe them out. 24 Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices. You must demolish them and break their sacred stones to pieces. 25 Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you, 26 and none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.

27 “I will send my terror ahead of you and throw into confusion every nation you encounter. I will make all your enemies turn their backs and run. 28 I will send the hornet ahead of you to drive the Hivites, Canaanites and Hittites out of your way. 29 But I will not drive them out in a single year, because the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you. 30 Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land.

31 “I will establish your borders from the Red Sea[a] to the Mediterranean Sea, and from the desert to the Euphrates River. I will give into your hands the people who live in the land, and you will drive them out before you. 32 Do not make a covenant with them or with their gods. 33 Do not let them live in your land or they will cause you to sin against me, because the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you.”
The unrealistic border clearly and all the rest seems to suggest a different Torah existed in the beginning and from the end of chapter 20 to here was all late additions.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Secret Alias

Re: The Dosithean Torah of Stephen

Post by Secret Alias »

The Samaritan text here is clearly the more original here. Notice that Moses is clearly here encountering God's voice rather than seeing God as he formerly did:
Behold, I am going to send my angel before you to guard you along the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. 21 Be on your guard before him and obey his voice. Do not be rebellious toward him, for he will not pardon your transgression. For My name is in him. 22 If you all truly obey my voice and you all do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries When My angel will go before you, I will bring you to the Kaanannee, and the Ehmarree, and the Ihttee, and the Girgeshee, and the Ferizzee, and the Ibbee, and the Yeboosee. And I will completely destroy them. 24 You shall not worship their gods, nor serve them, nor do according to their deeds. But you shall utterly overthrow them and break their pillars in pieces. 25 And you shall serve Shehmaa your Eloowwem, and He will bless your bread and your water.
There are clearly two powers when you restore the entire section - their is 'God's voice' and his person or angel.
“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

My point is simply if you subtract the extended section which stretches from the end of chapter 20 (ie immediately following the theophany which is the giving of the Ten) down through to the material cited above where the unseen "voice" of the god in heaven references the other god standing with Moses as "my angel" in the original form of Exodus preserved at Qumran, the Samaritans and the tradition of Ishmael (where bits of Deuteronomy and Exodus are "blended" to show the Israelites "seeing" one God on the mountain and "hearing" another in heaven) it is without question that this Torah with no references to sacrifices being instituted by God to Moses at Sinai also acknowledged clearly and explicitly two powers.
Secret Alias

Post by Secret Alias »

Also it is worth noting the Samaritans have an extra line in chapter 20 that references 2 gods being present in the context