Zeus is the Jewish God.

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Ethan

Re: Zeus is the Jewish God.

Post by Ethan »

Ancient Spain was mostly Phoenician , In fact the Oldest continuously inhabited city in Western Europe
is Cádiz , founded by Phoenicians , Thus explains the affinity between Spanish and Phoenician.

We think of Spanish as a 'Romance language' , but it's not a pure Latin language

A. There is no definite article in Latin
B. There is a definite article in Phoenician

Welsh as three articles, y / yr / r - ל / אל/ ה

The most popular welsh name is 'Daffyd and it's pronunciation is near-identical
with the Hebrew , דויד (ἀδελφιδός )

Phoenician in Wales.
https://crewsproject.wordpress.com/2017 ... scription/
Cypriot bilingual inscription where a man named Menahem son of Benhodesh in the Phoenician half is called Mnases son of Nomenios in the Greek half. Trustees of the British Museum
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Ethan wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:25 am Why does Spanish resemble Hebrew grammar?

1 Kings 1:4 - And the Damsel
U E NORE ( ו ה נערה)
Y la joven ( Spanish) *RVR60
καὶ ἡ νεᾶνις
I noticed from a reply in another thread that you have an admirer.

I wanted to discuss ‎נַעֲרָ֣ה - naarah - girl; as you discussed the male form of this ‎נַ֗עַר - naar - boy someplace. You pointed out that these words can also mean servant, which seems sort of correct.

‎נַעֲרָ֣ה - naarah is similar to ‎עַלְמָ֔ה - almah - young woman which you famously misanalyzed in another thread. I think the major difference between the two words (used normally) is that almah is a girl who has reached puberty while naarah not so much.

The bible seems pretty loose with these words.

For example in the passage you give -
So they looked for a beautiful girl throughout the territory of Israel. They found Abishag the Shunammite and brought her to the king.
The girl was exceedingly beautiful. She became the king's attendant and waited upon him; but the king was not intimate with her. (1 Ki. 1:3-4 TNK)
Maybe it's just me, but it seems the King probably wanted more of an almah than a naarrah.
Last edited by semiopen on Sat May 12, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lpetrich

Post by lpetrich »

Ethan wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:14 pm We think of Spanish as a 'Romance language' , but it's not a pure Latin language

A. There is no definite article in Latin
B. There is a definite article in Phoenician
Look at the inflection of the Spanish definite article:

sm: el, sf: la, pm: los, pf: las

It's rather clearly derived from Latin ille, "that":
Accusative: sm: illum, sf: illam, pm: illôs, pf: illâs

Lots of Romance forms are derived from accusative rather than nominative forms, so this is typical. For instance, Spanish padre and madre are from accusative patrem and matrem rather than nominative pater and mater.
Welsh as three articles, y / yr / r - ל / אל/ ה
These are phonetic variants. y if the next word begins with a consonant, yr if the next word begins with a vowel, and 'r if the previous word ends with a vowel (overrides the previous two). English does something similar with its indefinite article, a/an.
The most popular welsh name is 'Daffyd and it's pronunciation is near-identical
with the Hebrew , דויד (ἀδελφιδός )
Have you looked at pronunciations of that name in other languages?
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

Servant reading must be unique too the KJV, the Septuagint render
the Hebrew as παιδάριον "little children" , παιδ "child" or νεᾶν "young, youthful"

1 Samuel 16:18
Servants ( KJV)
Little boys ( Masoratic & Septuagint) παιδάριον / נערים

1 Kings 11:17
- father's servants/children ( παίδων /עבדי )
- Hadad being yet a little child. ( נער / παιδάριον )

The Septuagint reads 'Father's children' here, thus they are reading Ebed as 'Paid- (παιδ) Child
although it's reading should be ὀπηδός ( Opados) 'attendant' .

המ ( Em) "they, these, the same, who"
המנ ( Emn) " they, them"
ὅν ( En) "his, her
νέο (Neo) "Young
ὄνος (Onos) 'Ass
μῇ (Em) our, ours (feminine)

עלמה - extension of בעל
על * the 3-letter root is בעל (πῶλ)

This matches with πῶλος / πῶλον / πωλίον
1. a young animal, especially domestic
2. Foal , Pony
3. (poetic) a young girl, maiden
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/πῶλος

This equates with the name 'Paul which means Small or Youth.

*עללה "Small Grapes" (Judges 8:2)
https://vivliothikiagiasmatos.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/joseph-yahuda-hebrew-is-greek.pdf
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

In Isaiah 3:12, עולל reads 'Children ' , the Greek reading is a κάλαμος but also means "small plant / reed"
and the same word is used in Jeremiah 6:9 .

Jeremiah 6:9 - עולל יעולל = καλαμᾶσθε καλαμᾶσθε
"They shall throughly glean the remnant of Israel as a vine: turn back thine hand as a grapegatherer into the baskets."

Gleaning
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleaning

Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers' fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest.
According to the Book of Deuteronomy and Leviticus, farmers should leave corners of their fields unharvested (pe'ah), should not pick up that which was dropped (gleanings), and should not harvest any over-looked produce that had been forgotten when they harvested the majority of a field.

These verses additionally command that olive trees should not be beaten on multiple occasions, and whatever remains from the first set of beatings should be left.[8] According to Leviticus, these things should be left for the poor and for strangers,[4][6] and Deuteronomy commands that it should be left for widows, strangers, and paternal orphans.[5][7][8] The Book of Ruth tells of gleaning by the widow Ruth to provide for herself and her mother-in-law, Naomi, who was also a widow.
Lev 19:9 - Glean
לֶקֶט (Leqet) / συλλέγω (Sullego) ( Lev 19:9)

Ruth 2:17 - So she gleaned
תלקט - συνέλεξεν
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Ethan wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:42 pm Servant reading must be unique too the KJV, the Septuagint render
the Hebrew as παιδάριον "little children" , παιδ "child" or νεᾶν "young, youthful"
I think the most famous naar - servant example is -
Then Abraham said to his servants, "You stay here with the ass. The boy and I will go up there; we will worship and we will return to you." (Gen. 22:5 TNK)
this is the older take -
And Abraham said unto his young men: 'Abide ye here with the ass, and I and the lad will go yonder; and we will worship, and come back to you.' (Gen. 22:5 JPS)
A problem here is that Jewish exegesis has Ismael and Eliezer as the men and they both were quite a bit older than boys. So "servant" sort of saves the day.

However when Abraham sends his servant (again the Jewish guess is Eliezer) to look for a wife for Isaac -
And Abraham said to the senior servant of his household, who had charge of all that he owned, "Put your hand under my thigh
(Gen. 24:2 TNK)
the word for servant is the more normal ‎עֶ֥בֶד

אֶל־עַבְדּוֹ֙ זְקַ֣ן בֵּית֔וֹ (Gen. 24:2 WTT)

I mentioned this line when we discussed Almah -
As I stand by the spring of water, let the young woman who comes out to draw and to whom I say, 'Please, let me drink a little water from your jar,' (Gen. 24:43 TNK)
That word is unusual, but doesn't apply to a three year old. Probably took many years for nit wits to actually start counting the years in the various chronologies.

Actually this line is the servant recounting his adventure to Rebecca's family.

His original prayer goes -
let the maiden to whom I say, 'Please, lower your jar that I may drink,' and who replies, 'Drink, and I will also water your camels' -- let her be the one whom You have decreed for Your servant Isaac. Thereby shall I know that You have dealt graciously with my master."
(Gen. 24:14 TNK)
where the maiden is ‎הַֽנַּעֲרָ֗

When his prayer comes true -
The maiden was very beautiful, a virgin whom no man had known. She went down to the spring, filled her jar, and came up. (Gen. 24:16 TNK)
The maiden is still ‎הַֽנַּעֲרָ֗ and virgin is ‎בְּתוּלָ֕ה betulah

My guess is that when talking to the family, he used the more polite almah.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

The Hebrew Bible frequently uses Grapes as metaphors , see the biased capitalization of BRANCH in Zechariah 6:12
and this word is צמח and a variant of this word is used in Isaiah 47:2 "locks" (hair) read as a κάλυμμα (head-covering)
but the true reading should be κόμη "Hair of the Head" or metaphorically , growth of a plant or sprout.

צָמַק (Tsmuk) - dry breasts
צמוקים ( Tsmukim) - Raisins

This reminds of the '72 Virgins in Islam which is believed too originally meant '72 Raisins' .

דלה (Daliyah) " Branch"
- κλῆμα ( Klhma) " Twig" ( Eze 19:11) *κλημάτων
- κλάδοι (Kladoi ) "branch, shoot" ( Eze 31:21)

* κλῆμα & עלמה are a phonetic match.

Delilah ( Mother of Samson)
- דלילה
-Δαλιδα (Dalida) - Judges 16:6

- דלל ( Dalal) "dried up"
- δοῦλος (Doulos) "born bondman, slave"

2 Samuel 3:3
- Δαλουια ( Dalouia) - Son of David + Abigail of Carmel (hanging garden, Vineyard)
but written כלאב and became Daniel in 1 Chronicles 3:1

The reading of this particular son of David as being corrupted perhaps the Messiah
was literally, the son of David because Solomon isn't mentioned in Isaiah , Ezekiel or Zechariah.
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

semiopen wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:54 pm
And Abraham said to the senior servant of his household, who had charge of all that he owned, "Put your hand under my thigh
(Gen. 24:2 TNK)
When i read the Septuagint version, there is no servant because אברהם is παιδὶ "Child"
and instead reads ' Abraham said too the eldest child of his house"

Gen 24:5 - ה עבד = ὁ παῖς "The child"
Gen 24:9 - ה עבד = ὁ παῖς "The child"

Eliezer is introduced in Gen 15:2 and this verse is corrupted
because it reads "υἱὸς Μασεκ" ( Son of Masek ) בן־משק
and no translation stresses this.

Note the similarity between משק & דמשק .
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

There is no DDS version of Genesis 15:2, this verse is strange and this is the very first verse
in Genesis that introduces אדני (Adonay) rendered δέσποτα ( Despota) "master of the house".

The word משק is undefined in this verse but it means Irrigation , cup-bearer or butler but
in Ezekiel 45:15 translates πατριῶν ( Patrion) which is used in Numbers 1
as a reading of בית אבתם ( BIT ABTM) "οἴκους πατριῶν " and in 1 Chronicles 24:4
describing the family of Eleazar ( Son of Aaron).

1 Chronicles 24:2 (BIT ABUT)
Ελεαζαρ ἄρχοντας εἰς οἴκους πατριῶν
אלעזר ראשים לבית־אבות

1 Chronicles 24:6 ( BIT AB)
בית־אב
οἴκου πατριᾶς

1 Chronicles 24:30 ( BIT ABTIEM)
בית אבתיהם
οἴκους πατριῶν ( Oikous Patrion)

1 Chronicles 24:1 ( PQDTM B OBDTM)
לפקדתם בעבדתם׃
᾽ οἴκους πατριῶν ( Oikos Patrion)

pĕquddah (פְּקֻדָּה) is first used in Numbers 3:32 for the family of Eleazar, again
in 3:36, 4:16 and Psalms 109:8 rendering ἐπισκοπὴν and this is it because words
that begin with M or N in Hebrew words are mostly prefixes that equate with ἐπι > M

ἐπισκοπὴν > Epi (M) Scop ( SQ) > משק /משכ and the
Hebraic root is שקד (H8245 ) 'Watcher, Cup or Irrigate'.

ψυχάζω (Psuchazo) "refresh oneself in the shade
ψυχίζομαι ( Psuchizomai) "grow cold, freeze"
διαψύχω ( Diapsucho) "cool" = דמשק (Damascus) "well watered place"
σκοπιάζω ( Scopiazo) "spy from a high place"

מַשָּׁק (MSQ) "running, rushing
שָׁקַק ( SQQ) " to run about"
שֹׁקֶת ( SQT) "watering trough"
שָׁקָה ( SQE) "to give to drink, irrigate, drink, water, to cool"

שָׁ > ψ

SQ > PSQ = ψύχω (Psuch) "Cool, refresh oneself, cool water, drink"
Ethan

Post by Ethan »

The raw form ψύχ (Psych) is שיח (Sych) , the 3 letter root form of משיח.

*PSI-sound does exist in Ancient Hebrew
פת (Pth) = ψιχ (Psich) ' Morsel ψιχίον
פש (Pesh) = ψυχ (Psuch) ' breath
שוא (Sua) = ψευδό (Pseudo) ' False

נפש (naphash) = ἀναψύχω ( Anapsuch) "Refresh/Cool"

2 Samuel 16:14 ( Evidence)
נפש = ἀνέψυξαν