Two questions on Genesis

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Krupin

Two questions on Genesis

Post by Krupin »

Genesis, chapter 24, verse 65
And she said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? The servant said, It is my master. And she took her veil and covered herself.
questions:
1. Why slave named Isaac, "my lord?
2. Why Rebekah took refuge veil?
iskander

Re: Two questions on Genesis

Post by iskander »

Krupin wrote:Genesis, chapter 24, verse 65
And she said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? The servant said, It is my master. And she took her veil and covered herself.
questions:
1. Why slave named Isaac, "my lord?
2. Why Rebekah took refuge veil?

1-Isaac is the man approaching, his servant and his bride get ready to meet him.
2-The use of the veil is mentioned in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=709
Krupin

Post by Krupin »

Eliezer was a slave of Abraham. Abraham was a gentleman. Isaac was the "son of the lord, but not the lord.
Krupin

Post by Krupin »

Eliezer was a slave of Abraham. Abraham was the lord. Isaac was the "son of the lord, but not the lord.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

It's not clear that the slave was Eliezer. Sorry to contradict you, especially since you mentioned it twice.
But Abram said, "O Lord GOD, what can You give me, seeing that I shall die childless, and the one in charge of my household is Dammesek Eliezer!" (Gen 15:2 TNK)
That is the only time his name appears in Genesis.

Most people think the weiner holding episode and what follows is all Eliezer and that makes some sense if only that it keeps their heads from exploding. However, could be that 15:2 was added later, etc.

The passage you discuss is important theologically, as the Haredi say it is the basis of the Minchah (Afternoon) service - also the second temple.
semiopen

Post by semiopen »

Regarding the two specific questions in the OP.

עָ֫בֶד can mean slave, but it is also servant. In this verse, the translations heavily favor servant.

אֲדֹנִ֑י means "my Lord" but most translations say "my Master" presumably because of the context. This is a polite way of referring to someone and I don't think it means anything special. On a rare visit to Tel Aviv, I took an early morning cab to the airport; a cop stopped us and asked the driver "who is the lord" (meaning me).

צָּעִ֖יף again is not special, presumably she wrapped herself in a veil or shawl for modesty. It is interesting that the only other times this word appears in the bible is the story of Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38, 14 and 19) it is used in the sense of dressing like a slut or harlot. I like the idea that Rebecca wanted to pass this message to her fiance, but mostly because it is amusing.