Arius and the Agraphon of the Skillful Moneychanger in the Rabbinic Literature

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

Arius and the Agraphon of the Skillful Moneychanger in the Rabbinic Literature

Post by Secret Alias »

חכמים ונבנים. מְבִינִים דָבָר מִתּוֹךְ דָּבָר; זוֹ הִיא שֶׁשָּׁאַל אֲרִיּוֹס אֶת רַבִּי יוֹסֵי מַה בֵּין חֲכָמִים לִנְבוֹנִים? חָכָם דּוֹמֶה לְשֻׁלְחָנִי עָשִׁיר, כְּשֶׁמְּבִיאִין לוֹ דִּינָרִין לִרְאוֹת רוֹאֶה, וּכְשֶׁאֵין מְבִיאִין לוֹ יוֹשֵׁב וְתוֹהֵא, נָבוֹן דּוֹמֶה לְשֻׁלְחָנִי תַּגָּר, כְּשֶׁמְּבִיאִין לוֹ מָעוֹת לִרְאוֹת רוֹאֶה, וּכְשֶׁאֵין מְבִיאִין לוֹ, הוּא מְחַזֵּר וּמֵבִיא מִשֶּׁלּוֹ (ספרי):
חכמים ונבנים WISE AND UNDERSTANDING [MEN] — i.e. men who can understand a matter out of (i.e. by comparison with) another matter. — This is what Arius asked R. Jose: what is the difference between wise men and understanding men? A wise man is like a rich money changer: when people bring him dinars to examine (to value) he examines them; and when they do not bring to him, he sits and does nothing (he does not go out to seek any). An understanding man, however, is like a merchant money changer: when they bring him coins to examine, he examines them; and when they do not bring to him, he goes about and brings of his own money (i.e. he himself buys coins) (cf. Sifrei Devarim 13:3). https://www.sefaria.org/Rashi_on_Deuter ... .3?lang=bi
billd89

Re: Skillful

Post by billd89 »

What bets are you making on FanDuel?