Psalms 22:18

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
moses

Psalms 22:18

Post by moses »

They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

They took my clothes and gambled for them.

They divide my clothes among themselves. They throw dice for my clothing.

they divide my garments among them; for my clothing they cast lots.

Does this verse say that ther e are two different actions being done or that the dividing and casting is one and the same action? :confusedsmiley:
AdamKvanta

Re: Psalms 22:18

Post by AdamKvanta »

It could be two different actions like in the case of Jesus. John 19:23-24 (NASB20):
Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His outer garments and made four parts: a part to each soldier, and the tunic also; but the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece. So they said to one another, “Let’s not tear it, but cast lots for it, to decide whose it shall be.” This happened so that the Scripture would be fulfilled: “THEY DIVIDED MY GARMENTS AMONG THEMSELVES, AND THEY CAST LOTS FOR MY CLOTHING.” Therefore the soldiers did these things.
andrewcriddle

Re: Psalms 22:18

Post by andrewcriddle »

moses wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:07 am They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

They took my clothes and gambled for them.

They divide my clothes among themselves. They throw dice for my clothing.

they divide my garments among them; for my clothing they cast lots.

Does this verse say that ther e are two different actions being done or that the dividing and casting is one and the same action? :confusedsmiley:
It is probably poetic parallelism. Saying a similar thing twice.

Andrew Criddle