A Note By My Friend and Teacher Rory Boid on Scholarly Misrepresentation of the SP

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
Secret Alias

A Note By My Friend and Teacher Rory Boid on Scholarly Misrepresentation of the SP

Post by Secret Alias »

A WARNING ON THE NEW BOOK THE TRANSMISSION OF THE PENTATEUCH BY HILA DAYFANI.

A necessary comment on the new publication The Transmission of the Pentateuch by Hila Dayfani: Analysis of Variants Due to Graphic Similarity between MT and ST. published by de Gruyter. There is a massive blunder in this book. The authoress believes that the edition of the SP published by Tal is based on a single ms. In fact it is an edition of two mss. mixed up. What the second ms. was is unknown. What he calls ms. Shechem 6 is unreadable in very many places, and blank in a lot of places, with whole pages being blank. Even where the writing has not vanished, it is often not clear enough for the difference between similar letters such as resh and dalet to be seen. Tal never tells the reader that the edition is not taken from a single ms. The facts are well known. Read my review-article Editing and Using the Samaritan Pentateuch. The facts were known long before my article was written, and were set out in an article by Stefan Schorch, which I mention. On top of this, the ms. Shechem 6 was written out by someone untrained. Benyamim Tsedaka said in his review that this ms. is so bad that it was hard to believe it was written by a Samaritan. It has some unique readings going against all other mss. that can be seen to be straight nonsense due to inadequate literacy on the part of the scribe. It does not matter whether you believe me or think me to be delusional. Just read my article and then the article by Schorch referred to in my article.
billd89

Come again?

Post by billd89 »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:07 amIt does not matter whether you believe me or think me to be delusional.
Au contraire, it matters bro. Just because someone has a contrary opinion doesn't make them right.

Opinions aren't facts. And normal, sane ppl should agree to disagree on trivial matters.

What's with "authoress"? Do we still slight scholars on their gender??? HOW DARE SHE

In discourse on frankly controversial, normally opinionated, or simply undecided questions, I'm curious about the whole "Strategic Umbrage" tactic, which I consider a potential Red Flag: suspect to be a characteristically dishonest, psychopathic response.

It also looks crazy.
Secret Alias

Re: A Note By My Friend and Teacher Rory Boid on Scholarly Misrepresentation of the SP

Post by Secret Alias »

This is what's wrong with today's "discussions." Either the SP comes from one manuscript or two. If it is two then she's wrong and it illustrates only superficial familiarity with the subject matter. I get the bone of contention with "authoress." But it's trivial.