DrKippDavis on what is actually going on in the Jewish literature that Carrier muddles in his book

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
dbz

DrKippDavis on what is actually going on in the Jewish literature that Carrier muddles in his book

Post by dbz »

• Kipp Davis claims that he will show how Carrier is misusing his sources on the Jewish literature per a video he has previously produced circa 28July2023, but which has not currently been made public.
@contentstarved991 2 weeks ago, "Carrier cites the scholarship in his footnotes of those elements. It would be a good idea to look into those sources and control for the factor of 'Carrier gets his information about this subject from other experts' before determining that the influence is more from Christian belief than scholarship. If you don't want to acquire the book, he reproduces those citations in his blog response to this video.

@DrKippDavis 2 weeks ago, "I have come to discover that with alarming frequency Carrier's citations of secondary literature—just like his misleading 'summaries' of the primary literature—are flagrantly inaccurate."

@contentstarved991 2 weeks ago, "@DrKippDavis Shouldn't this video have been the appropriate place to examine his sources to see if that's what he's doing here? Now your audience has been mislead into thinking he hasn't cited other experts and is engaging in primary research outside his wheelhouse."

@DrKippDavis 2 weeks ago, "@contentstarved991 but, Carrier is 'engaging in primary research outside his wheelhouse.'"

@contentstarved991 2 weeks ago, "@DrKippDavis Not if he's citing someone else. If he's misusing his sources for the things you're challenging him on in this video, you need to demonstrate that rather than use that as an excuse to hide from your audience the fact that he cited other experts."

@DrKippDavis 2 weeks ago, "@contentstarved991 there are numerous instances. I include one clear example of this phenomenon in the final video."
--COMMENTS [Retrieved 19 August 2023] per "How (not) to read the Talmud: Reviewing Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus", Part 1". YouTube. Kipp Davis. Jul 25, 2023.
@DrKippDavis 4 days ago, "No. My complaints are absolutely NOT with scholars who have published their readings of these ancient texts, since virtually all of them actually engage with and discuss the texts they are reading, and they show how their readings are plausible. I certainly do not always agree with them, but that's scholarship. This is demonstrably different from what Carrier does. Not only does he opt for his own summaries of texts as opposed to quotations, he also consistently ignores ongoing scholarly discussions about these texts, and inherent problems in their interpretations.

I, and everyone else here, can see clearly why you are so determined to detract from the issue: it is abundantly obvious that Carrier has no interest at all in these texts for their own sake, which is why he is so determined to distract readers from what they actually say. But, of course, you and everyone else is free to go and look for yourself at my CV to see the pages of referenced peer reviewed articles and books that I have published on early Jewish texts over the years."
--COMMENTS [Retrieved 19 August 2023] per "(Mis)reading the Dead Sea Scrolls: Reviewing Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus", Part 2". YouTube. Kipp Davis. 7 AUG 2023.
Last edited by dbz on Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgprice

Re: DrKippDavis on what is actually going on in the Jewish literature that Carrier muddles in his book

Post by rgprice »

Is there anything to see here...???
dbz

Re: DrKippDavis on what is actually going on in the Jewish literature that Carrier muddles in his book

Post by dbz »

rgprice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:48 am Is there anything to see here...???
Only if the promised third video that was produced circa 28July2023 is published without any additional editorial redactions and new updates!

@DrKippDavis 3 weeks ago, "Once I am finished with these videos I am done with Carrier."

@DrKippDavis
Carrier is frequently not honest about the opinions of other scholars that he attempts to solicit in support of his ideas. For example, he has criticised me heavily on the basis of a selection from a book by Daniel Boyarin that he references, which appears to support Carrier's understanding of b.Sanh 98b and 93b as reflective of pre-Christian Jewish tradition. However when one consults this (non-peer reviewed) book by Boyarin, you discover the claims he makes with regards to the text are quite vague—in terms of their dating, he says they are undoubtedly earlier than the codification of the Talmud (c.600 CE) but DOES NOT even implicitly situate them in the pre-Christian period.

Likewise, Carrier very frequently likes to cite a passage from a book by Jason Staples in support of the idea that the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53 was connected to Daniel's messiah in ch. 9. Staples here is arguing that Daniel is reinterpreting the first return event recorded in Ezra/Nehemiah as a disappointing failure, and a reconstitution of the earlier prophecies to a future time when all Israel would be saved by god. However—importantly—Staples's statement is a throwaway remark buried in a footnote, which then depends on two other articles from 1953, a commentary from 1987, and another selection from a good book on apocalypticism written by Portier-Young that was published more recently. One significant thing missing also from Staples footnote (which is beside the point he is making, in the first place) is any actual textual evidence in support of the claim. Since it is a throwaway remark that has NO EFFECT AT ALL on the point Staples is making, it's not altogether very meaningful. But, for Carrier to build a case on what are essentially cherry-picked claims from the secondary literature, often outside of context, is the worst kind of pseudo-scholarship.

Unfortunately, most people are unaware of this, because it takes work, time and experience to effectively navigate much of this literature.

@DrKippDavis
Carrier cites SO MUCH secondary literature, and there is NO WAY anyone can check it all. And, even though he will sometimes quote accurately selections from these texts, often they are divorced from their larger contexts.

I do find it telling, though, that in response to a video series about how he reads and interprets primary texts, his complaints have yet to actually discuss the texts themselves. He sticks to complaints of methodology and statements from secondary sources, and I think this is deliberate. He doesn't want to get into a discussion about the texts, because he doesn't know them.

@user-om2os5yr6i
You seem firmly committed to obliterating all your credibility, both personal and scholarly. Is the irony of pretending to report Carrier's incomprehension of obscure ancient Hebrew (actually, his peer-reviewed sources'), while yourself wholly failing to understand his straightforward English, lost on you?

None of these supposed corrections (which generally just confirm what Carrier says in so many words) affect historicity arguments, as none depend on them: each is equally consistent with both historical and purely mythical existence. That is why they are noted in the book purely as background. You have not even touched on any actual arguments.

I don't know of any way you could preserve your academic reputation after these embarrassments. Not publishing your "surly" finale might help.

If you were serious about any of this, you would try to get it past peer review. Carrier's references, whom you here excoriate, would not be kind.

Failure to engage is disgraceful.

@DrKippDavis
So, fun fact: since you appear firmly entrenched inside Carrier's blogosphere you are probably completely unaware of this, but actual scholars in the actual fields of research on which his tripe-book has touched are of virtually the same mind about most of the things I have covered in these videos. The reason you are probably unaware of this is because Carrier is such an exceptionally poor reader—he continues to mount complaints that are completely beside the point of my critique, which is simply (exclusively) that Carrier's handling and representation of the early Jewish literature is abysmal.

I don't care about how this does or does not affect his larger argument. I care about the texts and what they have to say, and I am keen to steer people in the right direction when they are misled by charlatans like Carrier about their contents and implications for understanding First Century Roman Palestine.

My professional reputation remains intact, thanks.

@user-om2os5yr6i, "@DrKippDavis "My professional reputation remains intact, thanks." Maybe ask around. You are doing yourself no favors. Disagreement about inference from obscure Hebrew is the stuff of academic debate, but your utter failure to comprehend straightforward English is obvious to all who care to look."
Last edited by dbz on Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbz

Post by dbz »

rgprice wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:48 am Is there anything to see here...???
  • Davis holds the viewpoint that some Jews did atomize some scriptures.
My claim is that the rabbis in b.Sanh 98b have no interest in the "Suffering Servant” beyond this ONE verse [in Isaiah 53]. Moreover, they do not cite Isaiah 53 at all in b.Sanh 93b.
--Kipp Davis replying to @DrKippDavis @KristynHood12 and 2 others on Twitter [currently rebranding to X] per "Kipp Davis Responds To The Suffering And Dying Messiah" @time:00:01:40. YouTube. Godless Engineer. Aug 7, 2023.
For examples, see Godless Engineer’s latest take . . . (to whose account the only correction I’d make is that b.Sanhedrin 93b only establishes a messiah would suffer; it’s the other passages I cited, e.g. b.Sanhedrin 98b and b.Sukkah 52a, that establish a belief that that messiah would also die; the first indirectly, the second directly).
[...]
Davis tries to maintain his position by appealing to the notion that the authors of 11Q13 somehow were so thoroughly atomizing the text of Daniel 9 that it never occurred to them that the messiah in verse 25 had to be the same messiah in verse 26. This is not logical. No one is that stupid...
--Carrier (10 August 2023). "And Then Kipp Davis Fails to Heed My Advice and Digs a Hole for Himself". Richard Carrier Blogs.
dbz

Post by dbz »

Philo is NOT talking about Joshua when he is talking about "the man whose name is East." He is talking about Zerubabbel. This is clear if you carefully read his passage, and if you know enough about the original text to see what he is doing with it: the name Zerubabbel means "seed of Babylon." Babylon is East if [sic] Jerusalem, and the "seed" is a call-back to the branch prophecies in which the "Branch" is the "seed of David." We can see this where Philo also says of him that God "caused him to sprout forth."

I think Carrier's interpretation of Philo is strained, uninformed and—as I said in the video, and I maintain—stems from his utterly botched reading of Zechariah.
Comment [Retrieved 27 August 2023] by @DrKippDavis 1 day ago per "Abject Failure in Reading Judaica: Reviewing Richard Carrier's "On the Historicity of Jesus", Part 3". YouTube. Kipp Davis. 22 Aug 2023.
[In] our discussion grasping the distinction between
(1) our determining what the author of Zechariah originally meant
and
(2) our determining what Philo (and any other Jewish exegetes sharing his view) believe Zechariah meant.

The original meaning we know is not that this Jesus is an incorporeal archangel, but rather the first high priest of the second temple—an actual, and entirely ordinary, historical person; and possibly the passage originally said Zerubabbel, the first king of that era, is whom Zechariah was declaring this of, although if so (and that’s still only conjecture) that reading had been lost centuries before Philo and thus cannot inform our reading of Philo. To the contrary, the evidence conclusively proves Philo does not believe that Zechariah meant what we think Zechariah meant. He believes Zechariah was claiming this weird mystical thing that in no way was even on Zechariah’s mind. And in Philo’s time, that was typical; Jews rarely read their Bible as saying things they originally said, but as containing cryptic mystical messages wholly bizarre by our modern standards. Indeed, read all of Philo’s works (as Neal claims he has done) and you’ll see this in spades: Philo almost never reads verses in their original sense. He almost always extracts some bizarre interpretation instead.

So it is a complete waste of time arguing what Zechariah “originally” meant here. That’s irrelevant. Philo has no such interest as we have in determining that, nor any analogous skills for doing it. All we can determine is what Philo thought this passage in Zechariah meant. And all the evidence we have as to that points to it not being what Zechariah originally meant, but something altogether else—especially if the passage has become corrupted, a fact Philo would then have no knowledge of; that’s purely a modern conjecture, based on modern methods of paleography and literary analysis. Otherwise the passage as we have it is plain in its meaning: there is only one person said to be present that Zechariah could be telling all to behold, and that’s Jesus. Philo thought Jesus was the Anatolê.

Philo obviously uses entirely different methods for interpreting the Bible, ones that allow him to imagine, and with total confidence, that Zechariah 6 was talking about an eternal incorporeal archangel; an angel who was the “son of god” and celestial “high priest”; and who created and governed everything, including God’s celestial temple, at God’s behest (thus entailing how Philo might even be reading verse 6:13). Once you admit this, Neal’s attempt to replace what Philo thought with the conjectures of modern scholars as to what Zechariah thought makes no logical sense. It’s entirely a non sequitur. And it ignores entirely my whole argument. His theory requires an improbable coincidence. Mine does not. The more probable theory prevails. There is no other.

In the end, Neal, like most lazy critics who don’t spend any time actually trying to understand the arguments of scholars they want to disagree with, didn’t even grasp that it is a fact (not some theory we have to argue for, but an established fact) that this archangel Philo mentions here is the same being the first Christians believed Jesus to have been an incarnation of. To deny this is to rest your case on a coincidence, of the conjunction of peculiar assigned attributes, so improbable that the fact as otherwise stated is hundreds of times more likely. This is true no matter what Philo thought the angel was named. The bulk of my Element 40 in OHJ is establishing this, not its name. I then add an argument (not a “sneaky assertion” or any of the false nonsense Neal claimed) that Philo also must have thought this angel was named “Jesus” (among its many other names). I am explicit that this is an argument and not a plain fact, and something we can infer about what Philo believed, not something Philo explicitly said. So it is slander to claim I didn’t make all this clear in the peer-reviewed work I summarize in my podium talks. And it is morally irresponsible not to consult the work being summarized in a brief.
--Carrier (22 November 2022). "The Curious Case of Gnostic Informant: Reaction vs. Research". Richard Carrier Blogs.
dbz

Post by dbz »

YouTuber "Godless Engineer" (John Gleason) highlights at time 36:30, Davis' example of Carrier's incompetence in mishandling a citation of Martin Abegg.
what have i done.jpeg
what have i done.jpeg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 24892 times
dbz

Origin of the pre-christian Jesus archangel

Post by dbz »

LOL, after being confined to the fire at WP years ago, the following article is still available. :)
  • Origin [of the pre-christian Jesus (archangel)]
The archangel is modeled on the Jesus figure mentioned in the Septuagint version of Zechariah 6 and 3.[7] The Septuagint describes Jesus as confronting Satan, being crowned king, ‘rising’ from his place below, and building up God’s house, given supreme authority over God’s domain and ending all sins in a single day.[8]
"Jesus (archangel)". EverybodyWiki Bios & Wiki. Retrieved 31 August 2023.
EverybodyWiki is a Wiki created by a French amazon associate. The Wiki aims to save any deleted, merged or moved articles from Wikipedia.
"EverybodyWiki". The Wiki Wiki. Retrieved 31 August 2023.
“The Servant of the Lord in the Qumran Scrolls,” Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 132 (December 1953), pp. 8–15, argues that Daniel 9:24–27 was in fact a reinterpretation of Isaiah 52:13–53:12, linking its dying messiah with the Suffering Servant and the murdered hero of Zechariah 12:10, particularly in light of variant readings in Isaiah found among the Dead Sea Scrolls, thus (he argues) setting the entire stage for later Christian readings of these texts.
--Carrier (30 August 2023). "Some Controversial Ideas That Now Have Wide Scholarly Support". Richard Carrier Blogs.
dbz

Post by dbz »

Dr Sarah has questions per the origin of Jewish worship of a pre-christian Jesus archangel.

Dr Sarah says @#37 August 26, 2023 at 6:33 pm
@Apollonian, #36:
Are you saying the various sects pre-dated Christianity? If so, why did they all believe in a ‘Christ’ who had been on earth and why did they all consider themselves to be followers of this ‘Christ’?
  • Understanding the first ten elements of OHJ is the first step to answer the questions.
Background Elements to Christianity
  • Element 1 The earliest form of Christianity definitely known to us originated as a Jewish sect in the region of Syria-Palestine in the early first century CE. (pp. 65-6)
  • Element 2 When Christianity began Judaism was highly sectarian and diverse. (p. 66)
  • Element 3 (a) When Christianity began, many Jews had long been expecting a messiah: a divinely chosen leader or saviour anointed … to help usher in God’s supernatural kingdom, usually (but not always) by subjugating or destroying the enemies of the Jews and establishing an eternal paradise.
    (b) If these enemies were spiritual powers, the messianic victory would have been spiritual; or both, as in the Enochic literature.
    (c) Jewish messianic expectations were widespread, influential and very diverse. (pp. 66-7)
  • Element 4 (a) Palestine in the early first century CE was experiencing a rash of messianism. There was an evident clamoring of sects and individuals to announce they had found the messiah.
    (b) Christianity’s emergence at this time was therefore no accident. It was part of the zeitgeist.
    (c) Christianity’s long-term success may have been simply a product of natural selection. (pp. 67-73)
  • Element 5 Even before Christianity arose some Jews expected one of their messiahs heralding the end-times would be killed before the final victory. (pp. 73-81)
  • Element 6 The suffering-and-dying servant of Isaiah 52-53 and the messiah of Daniel 9 have numerous logical connections with the “Jesus/Joshua Rising” figure in Zechariah 3 and 6. (pp. 81-83)
  • Element 7 (a) The pre-Christian book of Daniel was a key messianic text, laying out what would happen and when, partly inspiring much of the messianic fervour of the age.
    (b) The text was widely known and widely influential, widely regarded as scripture by early Christians. (pp. 83-87)
  • Element 8 (a) Many messianic Jewish sects were searching the (Hebrew and Greek) scriptures for secret messages.
    (b) It follows that the Jews who became the first Christians had been searching the scriptures this way this long before they became Christians. (pp. 87-88)
  • Element 9 The early first century concept of scriptures embraced not only writings that became canonized but many more works, many of which no longer exist; further, of those that do still exist, including canonical texts, the early first century versions were sometimes quite different in details. Texts in places were been modified, changed, before their canonical versions were finally settled. (p. 88-92)
  • Element 10 Christianity began as a Jewish messianic cult preaching a spiritually victorious messiah. (pp. 92-96)

"On the Historicity of Jesus". RationalWiki. Retrieved 31 August 2023.
Additional conclusions may be drawn from the possibility that some Jews held that said Jesus accompanied Moses or was in fact Moses on Earth.
DrSarah

Post by DrSarah »

I know this is an old thread now, but in the interests of clarification:
dbz wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:37 am Dr Sarah has questions per the origin of Jewish worship of a pre-christian Jesus archangel.
No, Dr Sarah does not. Dr Sarah disagrees that there was Jewish worship of a pre-Christian Jesus.

OK, ditching the ‘Miss Manners’ and going back to first person: @dbz, I think a problem here is that one of my habits in debate is to ask people questions aimed at exposing flaws in their beliefs (‘So, since you’re claiming X, how do you account for Y?’) and that you then take those questions at face value.

For example, in this case, my questions were aimed at a commentor who seemed to be trying to put forward a particularly bizarre variety of Jesus-mythicism in which both Jesus and Paul were actually Apollonius of Tyana and that Christianity was formed in some unspecified way from multiple pre-existing sects. :scratch: I asked him some questions aimed at getting him to explain some of the weak points in this theory, with the aim of highlighting said weaknesses. (I think this counts as Socratic questioning, but perhaps that’s too high-minded a term.)

He told me I ought to do more research and hasn’t been seen on my blog since, so I suppose that’s a result as results go. But the questions of mine that you quoted were asked in that context, and not because I actually take seriously the idea that Jews were worshipping an archangel whom they just happened to call ‘Jesus’. Hope that clarifies.
dbz

Post by dbz »

DrSarah wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:19 am Dr Sarah disagrees that there was Jewish worship of a pre-Christian Jesus.
Given so much we don't know about the Jews and their different sects...
[7:06] G.E >>> I've heard this from plenty of other people,
  • "Do you have evidence that there was a sect of Jews that believed in this Celestial dying Christ type of person?"
and it always kind of gets me because it's like we don't necessarily need to have direct evidence of it.

Carrier >>> It's all indirect, it's all circumstantial, because all the evidence that we would want is gone. It wasn't preserved so this relates to this element [number] two, when Kip says,
  • "There's so much we don't know about the Jews and their different sects!"
That's because no one preserved this information right so we've lost like 90 to 95 percent of the knowledge we would need to know to make normative statements about what all Jews thought or what some Jews could have thought or whatever so we can only work indirectly we have to build evidence like circumstantial evidence to establish whether a sect would believe something or not uh and so that's a complex process Etc that's what scholarship is for.

But all of that is back in play now because now that we know that there was huge diversity and we don't know about all of it. There's so much we don't know and that's relevant—what we don't know. [8:14]
--"Carrier vs Davis: Unveiling the Diversity of Jewish Beliefs" @time:00:07:06. YouTube. Godless Engineer. Sep 12, 2023.
Background Elements to Christianity
  • Element 2 When Christianity began Judaism was highly sectarian and diverse. (p. 66)

"On the Historicity of Jesus". RationalWiki. Retrieved 31 August 2023.