Monument Testifying to Hadrian's Visit to Jerusalem Found

Discussion about the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, pseudepigrapha, Philo, Josephus, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, archaeology, etc.
ficino

Re: Monument Testifying to Hadrian's Visit to Jerusalem Foun

Post by ficino »

Very interesting, Stephan, thanks for posting.
ficino

Post by ficino »

Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

I like the way morons assume that we know the exact year of the Bar Kochba revolt. People have this bizarre notion of ancient history. Like its 'all settled.' There is no 'exact date' for the Bar Kochba revolt. There is the death of Hadrian in 138 CE and a likely correspondence of the revolt with a Sabbatical year or a Jubilee. If as I have suggested elsewhere 70 CE was a jubilee, the revolt could even have happened at the beginning of his reign - 69 + 49 + 1 = 118 - 119 CE. That's where the 132 date comes from. 118 + 7 + 7. There was a Levantine Jewish revolt of 115–118 CE. I am always suspicious that Hadrian fought as a general in that war and there was no third Jewish revolt. Though I admit I haven't done a lot of research.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Stephan Huller wrote:I like the way morons assume that we know the exact year of the Bar Kochba revolt. People have this bizarre notion of ancient history. Like its 'all settled.' There is no 'exact date' for the Bar Kochba revolt. There is the death of Hadrian in 138 CE and a likely correspondence of the revolt with a Sabbatical year or a Jubilee. If as I have suggested elsewhere 70 CE was a jubilee, the revolt could even have happened at the beginning of his reign - 69 + 49 + 1 = 118 - 119 CE. That's where the 132 date comes from. 118 + 7 + 7. There was a Levantine Jewish revolt of 115–118 CE. I am always suspicious that Hadrian fought as a general in that war and there was no third Jewish revolt. Though I admit I haven't done a lot of research.
Papyrus Yadin 27 which was discovered in excavations of caves used by the rebels dates from 132 CE.

Andrew Criddle
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Based on what evidence? Conventional wisdom?
ficino

Post by ficino »

That papyrus and others found with it are dated; cf. link

http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/zp ... 116204.pdf
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

Very useful and informative. Thank you.