Books you'd like to see translated

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.
Blood

Books you'd like to see translated

Post by Blood »

Anybody ever read this? Lukian von Samosata und das Neue Testament by Hans Dieter Betz (1961). I think the subtitle is, "The History of Religions and Parenetic Parallels." This is the only book/paper I know of drawing any comparison at all between the NT and the works of Lucian. I guess a translation at this late date is remote.

“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Blood

Re: Books you'd like to see translated

Post by Blood »

This four-volume work is considered the most important work on the Hemetica of the 20th Century, but, shockingly, no English version even though Nock wrote it in English.

“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

The obvious question is where Nock's manuscript is... It's probably extant. Are his papers at Harvard?
Blood

Post by Blood »

I would imagine Harvard saved them. I'm guessing that an English edition was planned but was halted at Nock's death in 1963. It's pretty disappointing that none of his peers or students really pushed for an English edition at that time. Too much time has now passed.
ficino

Post by ficino »

It's not listed in the online catalog of Widener lib. at Harvard
Blood

Post by Blood »

You wonder what happens to the papers of some of these guys. If an institution didn't save them, then I don't have a whole lot of faith family did. A lifetime's accumulation of files takes up a lot of space, more than most people are willing to privately store.
Roger Pearse

Post by Roger Pearse »

Usually they are deposited somewhere. Nock's papers will be extant.
gugel

Post by gugel »

Hi Blood,
where I can read the book you have mentioned above?
Is there any English version?
it would be interested if I can be translating into Bahasa, thanks
Be wise
Blood

Post by Blood »

Here's yet another important work, only in German, about Lucian and his observations about religion: a book-length, scholarly examination of the classic Alexander the Oracle Monger.

http://www.brill.com/lukian-von-samosat ... genprophet

Lukian von Samosata - Alexandros oder der Lügenprophet
Eingeleitet, herausgegeben, übersetzt und erklärt von Ulrich Victor

Lucian's Alexander the False Prophet is the only literary testimony to a highly influential cult of the 'New Asclepios Glycon' which, as archaeological evidence continues to document, spread all over the eastern Mediterranean basin throughout the second and third centuries AD.

This book offers an analysis of the complete manuscript tradition, a newly constituted text and a German translation. The extensive introduction deals with (1) the archaeological evidence, (2) the question of Lucian's historical reliability, (3) the reasons for Lucian's opposition to the oracle of Abonuteichos, (4) the institutions and the teaching of the cult at Abonuteichos. Furthermore, there is a commentary on all philological and historical questions and on those issues relevant to the history of religions.
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Blood wrote:
(2) the question of Lucian's historical reliability ....
There seems to have been enough books forged in the name of Lucian in the 4th century to stock a library shelf. I would be interested in learning what the author of this book concludes on his own subject heading, and what reservations he makes in arriving there.

Back to the OP.

From another thread .....

Bruno Bauer's pioneering works from 1841 to be translated from German into English

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]