hindu beliefs

All other informal historical discussion, ancient or modern, falls here. This includes the topics of Islam, Buddhism, and other religious traditions.
theterminator

hindu beliefs

Post by theterminator »

is it true that the hindus believe in one god who can take on different forms at the same time?
so unlike christianity the one god in hinduism is not limited to one body but can take on many forms?
DCHindley

Re: hindu beliefs

Post by DCHindley »

theterminator wrote:is it true that the hindus believe in one god who can take on different forms at the same time?
so unlike christianity the one god in hinduism is not limited to one body but can take on many forms?
Something like that. If I could ever locate it, I should quote something profound penned by the late Indian Guru A C Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada. A C is quite sure that the supreme personality of the godhead is best represented by Krishna. But so is Rama, etc.

DCH

Added for clarification, since the man has been dead (excuse me, "achieved moksha") since 1977. However, I do have a couple of his books around.
Last edited by DCHindley on Sat May 07, 2016 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrewcriddle

Post by andrewcriddle »

Hindus believe many different things.

It is generally better to say 'many Hindus' or 'most Hindus' believe something, rather than imply that all Hindus would agree.

Andrew Criddle
Derek Cunningham

Post by Derek Cunningham »

The Hindu beliefs are very ancient.

They employed astronomical values as the basis of their understanding of the universe around them

They measured time using the "five limbs" of which the most important was the sidereal month, which is the exact same lunar term that astronomers use today to work out where Earth is in its orbit around the sun.

So, in many ways their astronomical knowledge 5,000 years ago was just as advanced as 19th century Europe.

Some of their ancient stories are also very similar to those mentioned in Norse legends.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The one God is not a personality in Advaita Vedanta tradition. The Parabrahman is the self of all forms. It's like consciousness but is the unconsciousness. The material forms are illusion (maya). Actually only ParaBrahman exist.