Non-biblical historians and the letters of Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Non-biblical historians and the letters of Paul

Post by GakuseiDon »

This is a continuation of ideas from here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9194&p=134623#p134623

I guess most of us on this board agree that the biblical scholars' evaluation of Biblical materials -- Old Testament, New Testament, the Church Fathers' -- has been coloured by religious beliefs and traditions. So that demands the question: what would a non-biblical historian make of the letters of Paul?

The modern consensus is that (1) there was a Paul, (2) there are seven genuine letters of Paul with the others put in his name, either as forgeries or as tradition, (3) the letters were written in the 50s-60s CE, (4) there are a certain number of interpolations and fiddling around in the contents of his letters.

My question is: Would non-biblical scholars come away with different conclusions on the above four points? If so, how/why/what?

One thing that struck me is that Dr Carrier and Doherty use the conclusions of modern consensus quite a lot in their theories, so it occurred to me that modern biblical scholars must have done a lot right. But would non-biblical scholars have concluded something different?

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm not asking you about YOUR theory about Paul. (Yes, perhaps Paul lived in First Century BCE, Second Century CE, didn't exist at all). This is about professional non-biblical historians and their methods. Unless you are a non-biblical historian yourself, I'm asking for your knowledge of their opinions on the subject.
MrMacSon

Re: Non-biblical historians and the letters of Paul

Post by MrMacSon »

GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

Thanks, MrMacSon. Is there something in that video that is pertinent to the question? They seem to assume that Paul is consistent with the mainstream with regards to my four points in the OP.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

GakuseiDon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:34 pm This is a continuation of ideas from here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9194&p=134623#p134623

I guess most of us on this board agree that the biblical scholars' evaluation of Biblical materials -- Old Testament, New Testament, the Church Fathers' -- has been coloured by religious beliefs and traditions. So that demands the question: what would a non-biblical historian make of the letters of Paul?

The modern consensus biblical scholars' {claim} is that (1) there was a Paul, (2) there are seven genuine letters of Paul with the others put in his name, either as forgeries or as tradition, (3) the letters were written in the 50s-60s CE, (4) there are a certain number of interpolations and fiddling around in the contents of his letters.

My question is: Would non-biblical scholars come away with different conclusions on the above four points? If so, how/why/what?

One thing that struck me is that Dr Carrier and Doherty use the conclusions of modern consensus biblical scholars quite a lot in their theories, so it occurred to me that modern biblical scholars must have done a lot right. But would non-biblical scholars have concluded something different?

IMPORTANT NOTE: I'm not asking you about YOUR theory about Paul. (Yes, perhaps Paul lived in First Century BCE, Second Century CE, didn't exist at all). This is about professional non-biblical historians and their methods. Unless you are a non-biblical historian yourself, I'm asking for your knowledge of their opinions on the subject.
Fixed that for you

Can you see how you try to steer even the start of an argument into your desired outcome? By using "modern concensus" as a label denoting objective finding, and then conflating that with the label "biblical scholars"?

Unconsciously, likely, I think you're everything but "a bad guy"

How many historians do you think there are out here? Neil and Ken would appear to be your only response group.
I like the "opinions" by the way!
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

mlinssen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:51 amCan you see how you try to steer even the start of an argument into your desired outcome? By using "modern concensus" as a label denoting objective finding, and then conflating that with the label "biblical scholars"?
No, I'm not using "modern consensus" to mean "objective finding", I'm using "modern consensus" to mean the modern consensus of biblical scholars. And that's the point. My view is that non-biblical objective historians would come to the same conclusions as the modern consensus of biblical scholars about Paul, and that's the purpose of my question below.

So, to update that in line of your correction:

The modern consensus of biblical scholars is that (1) there was a Paul, (2) there are seven genuine letters of Paul with the others put in his name, either as forgeries or as tradition, (3) the letters were written in the 50s-60s CE, (4) there are a certain number of interpolations and fiddling around in the contents of his letters.

My question is: Would non-biblical scholars come away with different conclusions to the modern consensus of biblical scholars on the above four points? If so, how/why/what?

mlinssen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:51 amHow many historians do you think there are out here? Neil and Ken would appear to be your only response group.
Not many non-biblical historians. Lots of opinions! :cheers:
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 am
mlinssen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:51 amCan you see how you try to steer even the start of an argument into your desired outcome? By using "modern concensus" as a label denoting objective finding, and then conflating that with the label "biblical scholars"?
No, I'm not using "modern consensus" to mean "objective finding", I'm using "modern consensus" to mean the modern consensus of biblical scholars. And that's the point. My view is that non-biblical objective historians would come to the same conclusions as the modern consensus of biblical scholars about Paul, and that's the purpose of my question below.

So, to update that in line of your correction:

The modern consensus of biblical scholars is that (1) there was a Paul, (2) there are seven genuine letters of Paul with the others put in his name, either as forgeries or as tradition, (3) the letters were written in the 50s-60s CE, (4) there are a certain number of interpolations and fiddling around in the contents of his letters.

My question is: Would non-biblical scholars come away with different conclusions to the modern consensus of biblical scholars on the above four points? If so, how/why/what?

mlinssen wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:51 amHow many historians do you think there are out here? Neil and Ken would appear to be your only response group.
Not many non-biblical historians. Lots of opinions! :cheers:
:thumbup:
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

xxx
Last edited by MrMacSon on Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lclapshaw

Post by lclapshaw »

I would hazard that non-biblical scholars don't care enough about Paul to even look into the subject.
GakuseiDon

Post by GakuseiDon »

lclapshaw wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:21 am I would hazard that non-biblical scholars don't care enough about Paul to even look into the subject.
Do you think that that's because there simply isn't enough solid data there to make any kind of evaluation about Paul's letters?
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:03 pm
lclapshaw wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:21 am I would hazard that non-biblical scholars don't care enough about Paul to even look into the subject.
Do you think that that's because there simply isn't enough solid data there to make any kind of evaluation about Paul's letters?
Are you after the historicity of Paul, his letters, or both?