The Solution to the Problem of 'Paul'

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stephan Huller

Re: The Solution to the Problem of 'Paul'

Post by Stephan Huller »

FWIW Aquila DID NOT translate Daniel 9:26 by Christos
Leucius Charinus

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Blood wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:
Blood wrote: Since Philo was using the same Bible as the Christians, the one where Χριστός appears something like 40 times, shouldn't they abandon that thesis?
There is some ambiguity here. The problem as I see it is that Χριστός actually DOES NOT EXPLICITLY APPEAR in the Bible of the Christians (or "Chrestians") because it is always used in an abbreviated, codified, encrypted, "nomina sacra" scribal form of "XP" or "XC" or "XPC".
Are we sure that the copies of the LXX that the Christians used already had the Nomina Sacra in them? I thought it was agreed by the theologians that this was a Christian innovation.
AFAIK the agreement was that the nomina sacra were developed by the "early christians" and proliferated through both the LXX and the NT.

I always heard that it was a Christian innovation. If that's true, the LXX did not have "XC" for Χριστός.
Jesus (NT) and Josha (LXX) shared the same nomina sacra, but I am not aware of Χριστός (and thus "XC") in the LXX.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Stephan Huller

Post by Stephan Huller »

WTF does that mean?
DCHindley

Post by DCHindley »

Leucius Charinus wrote:AFAIK the agreement was that the nomina sacra were developed by the "early christians" and proliferated through both the LXX and the NT.
The Greek translation of Judean scriptures as preserved by Christians (where 26+ books served as their "Old Testament" and was, as far as we can tell, always in codex format, at least in the 4th century CE) did include nomina sacra.

The Greek translations of certain books as transmitted by Jews (including alternate translations by Theodotion, Aquila or Symmachus, thought to have been on rolls only until late 2nd century) had no nomina sacra of the kind used by Christians.

They did have different ways to represent the divine name for God so as to avoid inadvertently speaking it. It was sometimes written in Paleo-Hebrew or Aramaic style letters, sometimes in a contracted form, or transliterated into Greek letters. Jewish transmitted copies of Greek translations of books of their sacred scripture also occasionally used contractions of phrases like Theon Pantokrator (God Almighty). Some of them, including Philo, replaced the divine name by "kurios" (Lord), a practice also followed by Christian copies.

However, these things are not the same thing as nomina sacra as Christians used it.

DCH
Blood

Post by Blood »

"In particular, it seems to me perilous to use the Aquila fragments as evidence that the nomina sacra originated as a Jewish scribal practice."

Good to know.
“The only sensible response to fragmented, slowly but randomly accruing evidence is radical open-mindedness. A single, simple explanation for a historical event is generally a failure of imagination, not a triumph of induction.” William H.C. Propp