‘Lord’ is not the name above every name

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

Re: ‘Lord’ is not the name above every name

Post by Jax »

GakuseiDon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 pm
Jax wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:10 amAccording to this then a early 2nd century Christian text CBBP VI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Beatty_Papyri uses the abbreviated form IC for Joshua. So now we can at least say that by this point IC is being associated with at least Joshua.
Would that imply that XC is also being used for 'Christ' at that point as well? Or is there evidence for a 'Joshua XC' that isn't 'Christ'? (I genuinely don't know).
Maybe, but there is no way to know for sure. All we can say for sure is that a scribe decided to render Joshua as IHC. That's about it I'm afraid.

We still don't know how Paul is using the terms that became IC and XC all we can say is that by the early 2nd century IHC was associated with Joshua. XC could be Christos or Chrestos, or even something else entirely, no way to know. We know that eventually it became Christos and Iesous but that doesn't mean that's how they started out only that the people that wanted that interpretation for IC XC were the ones that finally won out. All other versions destroyed, or simply not copied contrary to the orthodox version.

Edit: I would point out that there is no NS abbreviation XC in CBBP VI.
mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Jax wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:40 pm
Jax wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:10 amAccording to this then a early 2nd century Christian text CBBP VI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Beatty_Papyri uses the abbreviated form IC for Joshua. So now we can at least say that by this point IC is being associated with at least Joshua.
Would that imply that XC is also being used for 'Christ' at that point as well? Or is there evidence for a 'Joshua XC' that isn't 'Christ'? (I genuinely don't know).
Maybe, but there is no way to know for sure. All we can say for sure is that a scribe decided to render Joshua as IHC. That's about it I'm afraid.

We still don't know how Paul is using the terms that became IC and XC all we can say is that by the early 2nd century IHC was associated with Joshua. XC could be Christos or Chrestos, or even something else entirely, no way to know. We know that eventually it became Christos and Iesous but that doesn't mean that's how they started out only that the people that wanted that interpretation for IC XC were the ones that finally won out. All other versions destroyed, or simply not copied contrary to the orthodox version.

It seems that the date is 300-350 - dunno whether this is the same MS

https://viewer.cbl.ie/viewer/image/Cpt_ ... /LOG_0000/

But if there's no XS in there then it's early, likely earliest. It's funny to see how the sloppy Thomas Greek copies have patera with superlinear, theos likewise. I'm getting a feeling that the Coptic was more reserved with all the craziness there - but that's just a gut feeling
Jax

Post by Jax »

mlinssen wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Jax wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:40 pm

It seems that the date is 300-350 - dunno whether this is the same MS

https://viewer.cbl.ie/viewer/image/Cpt_ ... /LOG_0000/

But if there's no XS in there then it's early, likely earliest. It's funny to see how the sloppy Thomas Greek copies have patera with superlinear, theos likewise. I'm getting a feeling that the Coptic was more reserved with all the craziness there - but that's just a gut feeling
We shouldn't expect to find XC in the text as it is about Jason from the OT.

Anyway, here is the rendering in your link...

mlinssen

Post by mlinssen »

Jax wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:50 pm
LOL! I definitely should take a break on weekends, especially on Sunday evenings. Silly me!

No, I'm looking for the alleged cover allegedly saying IHSOUS. I have the binding but that isn't it
Jax

Post by Jax »

mlinssen wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 am
Jax wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:50 pm
LOL! I definitely should take a break on weekends, especially on Sunday evenings. Silly me!

No, I'm looking for the alleged cover allegedly saying IHSOUS. I have the binding but that isn't it
:D I hear ya!

Let me know what you find. :cheers: