Surely this 1910 study of ΙΧΘΥΣ is online somewhere!

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
neilgodfrey

Surely this 1910 study of ΙΧΘΥΣ is online somewhere!

Post by neilgodfrey »

A multivolume (5 vols?) publication by Franz Joseph Dölger (also written as Dolger and Doelger), ΙΧΘΥΣ Das Fischsymbol in Frühchristlicher Zeit ... also written as Ichthys : das Fischsymbol in fruhchristlicher Zeit (translates as Ichthys: The fish symbol in early christian times) with the first volume appearing in 1910, is a major work cited in
  • Kant, Laurence Harold. “The Interpretation of Religious Symbols in the Graeco-Roman World: A Case Study of Early Christian Fish Symbolism (Volumes I-III).” Ph.D., Yale University, 1993.
(Thank you, Stephen, for the reference)

One would expect that by the time we are one-fifth of the way through the twenty-first millennium that such an item would be accessible on the web. I have tried archive.org, hathi trust and bookzz with no luck. (But that does not mean a slightly different search term or method won't produce a positive result.)

What I am hoping to find in Dogler's volumes (Hathi trust says there is something in volume 1 and 4 but does not index volume 5) is some analysis of

simboli_paleocristiani.jpg
simboli_paleocristiani.jpg (158.46 KiB) Viewed 652 times

. . . or at least some description that identifies its actual place in the Catacomb of Domitilla -- is it in a pagan or a Christian area of the catacomb? Is there anything about the image and partial inscription that clearly identifies it as Christian?

The referencing source of Laurance Kant acknowledges that it is sometimes impossible to tell whether a particular image is Christian or pagan because of the overlap of imagery: Christians did use the same images as pagans sometimes, and these could include the fish and anchor. So I would like to be able to establish whether the above image is reasonably interpreted as Christian or not. If it is in a pagan section of the catacomb then we can reasonably discount it as evidence for early Christian iconography. (That would pull a plank from the hypothesis that Christians were pointedly embracing a Flavian image -- if the same image could be dated as early as some seem to imply. But more generally and usefully, it would help anyone interested in the archaeological evidence for early Christianity to get a better grasp of the data.)

So: Is there any sleuth out there who can locate Dolger's volumes (esp volume 1) online, somewhere?

If not, I may be forced back on to checking my bank balance and seeing if I can afford another international library loan and testing my patience to see if I can wait 3 or more months for a delivery.
StephenGoranson

Re: Surely this 1910 study of ΙΧΘΥΣ is online somewhere!

Post by StephenGoranson »

L. V. Rutgers in Subterranean Rome (Peeters, 2000) 16 notes that Antonio Bosio visited the Domitilla catacomb-- “one of the largest early Christian catacombs of Rome. “ Fig. 3 reprints a “Plan” of that catacomb. P 161-162 has a good bibliography.
Bosio’s book is, I think, available online:
Roma subterranea novissima,
in qua post Antonium Bosium antesignanum, Jo: Severanum Congreg. Oratorii presbyterum, et celebres alios scriptores antiqua Christianorum et praecipue martyrum coemeteria, tituli, monimenta, epitaphia, inscriptiones, ac nobiliora sanctorum sepulchra sex libris distincta illustrantur et quamplurimae res ecclesiasticae iconibus graphice describuntur, ac multiplici tum sacra, tum profana eruditione declarantur.
Antonio Bosio; Giovanni Severano; Paolo Aringhi
1972, 1659
2 volumes : illustrations ; 41 cm.
Also:
La Roma sotterranea cristiana /
descritta ed illustrata dal cav. G.B. de Rossi.
3 vol. 1864-1877

Probably relevant:
The Christian catacombs of Rome :
history, decoration, inscriptions /
Vincenzo Fiocchi Nicolai; Fabrizio Bisconti; Danilo Mazzoleni
1999 1st ed.
English [translation] Book 208 pages : illustrations (some color), maps, plans ; 29 cm
Regensburg : Schnell & Steiner, ; ISBN: 3795411947 9783795411947
Jax

Re: Surely this 1910 study of ΙΧΘΥΣ is online somewhere!

Post by Jax »

I personally don't see anything Christian about it. The symbol with the fish very much looks like an anchor and the symbol to the right looks like a compass.