Lepers: Pharisees by Type

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Charles Wilson

Lepers: Pharisees by Type

Post by Charles Wilson »

Irish1975 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:11 amMatthew 26:6-13
Mark 14:3-9
Luke 7:36-50
John 12:1-8

In Luke’s version, the event occurs in the house of a Pharisee, not a leper, named Simon.
Hello Everyone --

Again, I would like to thank Irish1975. The "Lepers" in the Gospels represent, I believe, a Type. This Type however, does not point beyond itself and therefore resists identification. The Story of the Anointing, however is found across all four Gospels. A comparison, then, may allow an identification.

As I have unpacked the Gospel Stories through the years, I have found Clues and small Code Words and phrases that point towards something beyond the "Mere" Stories. I must add "YMMV" here as the explanations I have offered have not gained much Traction on this Site. Be that as it may, it appears consistent across the Gospels and I find myself in agreement with those here who consider the Stories closely tied together in Authorship, both in Time and Place.

For example, "The Woman with the Twelve Year Issue of Blood", coupled with "Jairus' Daughter" point beyond the Bare Stories. They have "12 years" in common and both point towards a Healing from the Blood of some violent event, some Movement that is nearly dead but may yet be resurrected. "I will be healed if only I can touch his garments", says the Woman. "Garments" = > "Priestly Garments". Only the Priesthood may Save the Nation.

"The Man with the Withered Hand" points beyond itself. What would a man with a Withered Hand have trouble doing? Writing, for one. It might seem reasonable to assign the title "Scribe" to one such as this. "Jesus" is freeing the Scribe from his Affliction, as he frees the Woman Bent over for 18 years from hers. On this interpretation, the Scribe is now free to write about what he knows about Events 12 years earlier. Previously, he was forbidden from writing about this event.

Matthew 5: 20 (Moffatt):

[20] For I tell you, unless your goodness excels that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never get into the Realm of heaven.

Speaking of the Pharisees, we are here given an interesting Clue - The "Realm of Heaven" may be a real Place for the Priests:

Matthew 23: 13 (Moffatt):

[13] Woe to you, you impious scribes and Pharisees ! you shut the Realm of heaven in men's faces; you neither enter yourselves, nor will you let those enter who are on the point of entering.

Here is where the "Lepers" come in. On this view, many, many of the Short Stories and Passages have small Clues - Pointers - to the Events they Symbolically represent. Lepers?:

Matthew 8: 2 - 4 (RSV):

[2] and behold, a leper came to him and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, if you will, you can make me clean."
[3] And he stretched out his hand and touched him, saying, "I will; be clean." And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.
[4] And Jesus said to him, "See that you say nothing to any one; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to the people."

This appears to be merely Descriptive. No pointers beyond itself. Except for the command to "...show yourself to the priest, and offer the gift that Moses commanded, for a proof to the people." This has been a bit awkward for some through the ages, but It's really OK, correct? Isn't it?

Mark and Matthew are virtual duplicates of each other, the Markan "Jesus" explicitly taking pity on the Leper ("[41] Moved with pity, he stretched out his hand and touched him"). Then:

Matthew 10: 5 - 8 (RSV):

[5] These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans,
[6] but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
[7] And preach as you go, saying, `The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
[8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying, give without pay.

"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons..." Merely descriptive, what every other garden variety savior-god would do...Correct? That is, do these tasks point beyond themselves to reasonable Symbolic Assignments?

Matthew 11: 4 - 5(RSV):

[4] And Jesus answered them, "Go and tell John what you hear and see:
[5] the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them.

Mark 14: 3 (RSV):
[3] And while he was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at table, a woman came with an alabaster flask of ointment of pure nard, very costly, and she broke the flask and poured it over his head.

Matthew 26: 6 (RSV):

[6] Now when Jesus was at Bethany in the house of Simon the leper

Merely descriptive...Well, perhaps we should add, "...within the Book of Matthew..." for reasons that will become apparent. It's a match for Mark 14: 3 at this point, so, What's the Problem?
John 12: 1 (RSV):

[1] Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Laz'arus was, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.

It's Bethany, at the house of Simon the Leper. Only...John doesn't mention the house or Simon. It's where he "...raised Lazarus from the dead".

It's here where Luke provides a Key Clue:

Luke 7: 36 - 40 (RSV):

[36] One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house, and took his place at table.
[37] And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment,
[38] and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
[39] Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw it, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner."
[40] And Jesus answering said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you." And he answered, "What is it, Teacher?"

The owner of the house is a "Simon" but he is not a Leper here but a Pharisee. Now, you can get into all kinds of trouble with this type of reasoning but for the "X had Y in front of him when he wrote Z" Crowd, this may point beyond itself in identifying the Type "Leper".

"Jesus" is in a fight for his life and the life of his fellow Priests. As he convinces a number of Pharisees to "Come over to our side", the Political Conversion must be made in front of other Priests in advance of the coming Coup.

The Lepers are Pharisees. When they defect to the Priests, they become "Cleansed".

Therefore, "Simon" was both Leper and Pharisee. "Untouchable" until Politically "Cleansed".

CW
Last edited by Charles Wilson on Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lsayre

Re: Lepers: Pharisees by Type

Post by lsayre »

Very descriptive of a human Jesus who has a very down to Earth insurrection leading mission ahead of him. It brings a fresh perspective to conversion and the concept of being born again. Every convert who is born over to the side of the insurrectionists is from a certain yet variously coded secret 'type' (wherein the code words for the various of these 'types' include words such as 'dead', 'blind', 'sick', 'leprous', 'sinner', 'cleansed', 'Pharisees', etc...) is finding a new purpose and effectively being born again. Both "sides" have their respective Priests. The insurrectionists Priests domain is "the realm of heaven". Those of the opposition side are a stumbling block to the reaching of this glorious realm, or new Kingdom, via a coming Messiah led insurrection. Great insight there Charles!
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

The 4th Philosophy is strong with this one. Meaning here whomever we came to know as Jesus, which was quite potentially not his real name, in addition to the much larger overall 4th Philosophy insurrection picture being painted by Charles Wilson as a movement within the divided Priesthood. Wherein Charles Wilson himself may not know that exploring this avenue (and not some Flavian connection fantasy) should be his underlying motivation. Whomever a real Jesus was, he was certainly not a Flavian, and he was not on their side.
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

I believe that Robert Eisenman expounded upon the point that the 4th Philosophy "type" had their own non-establishment Priesthood, of which Jesus brother James was a prime example. Being seen as Born Again might have been a secret code (of sorts) for clandestinely transitioning from the establishment side to the non-establishment (I.E., 4th Philosophy) side.
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Thank you VERY much for your kind words, lsayre!

On the subject of "Being Born Again", remember that the term goes back over a thousand years from Biblical times to Sumer. If Samuel Noah Kramer is to be believed, the first appearance of the word "Freedom" came from Sumerian "Amargi" which, translated, was "Return-to-Mother".

Nicodemus, a "Ruler of the Jews", understands the words but not the intent, a classic definition of an idiom.
"Nic-O-Demus" (Nicholas of Damascus?) is NOT A JEW. He would probably have understood this term if he had been a Jew.

John 3: 1 - 4 (RSV):

[1] Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicode'mus, a ruler of the Jews.
[2] This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him."
[3] Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
[4] Nicode'mus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"

The "Jesus" character is telling this "Ruler-of-the-Jews" that he needs to FREE HIMSELF. It's not glorious Metaphysics:
"Come over to our side...FREE YOURSELF!!!"

Transvaluation only goes so far.

Progress!

BEST to you,

CW
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Another Kwik Note:

http://www.michaelturton.com/Mark/GMark09.html#9X

The question of whether Mark was meant to be performed leads to an "Interpretive Question".
The recognition would be that, "Everyone knows that the characters are fictional".

On the Interpretation that there are (Ironic) "Real Types" in the Jerusalem Story, the Author of Mark would provide a method by which the Insurrectionists would allow for a "Conversion" of Pharisees, as lsayre states.

Mark 1: 44 (RSV):

[44] and said to him, "See that you say nothing to any one; but go, show yourself to the priest, and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, for a proof to the people."

"How do we know that you are not going to murder us all...?"
"Show yourself to the Priests and the people as a proof. We'll take care of you..."

There IS something that points beyond the "Mere Story".

CW