Paul alluded to in Apoc. 2:2?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
mlinssen

Re: Paul alluded to in Apoc. 2:2?

Post by mlinssen »

gryan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:57 am Re: Is Rev. 2:2 referring negatively to Paul?

Rev. 2:2
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.

------------

I had not noticed that verse before. This language strikes me as Pauline in character, and so it could represent a judgement against Paul's opponents:

2 Cor. 11:13
"For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ."
Just slightly tongue-in-cheek, or perhaps not even that: Revelation is presumed to be written by John, I hear (I know less than nothing of it, haven't even finished reading it).
John was a great fan of the Thomasine core material (yes that needs some explanation but I'll skip it at the moment, feel free to ask though), whether he read that there or in Marcion - and this could very well be about Marcion really. The threat to remove the lampstand from its topos...

If we look at Tertullian, in the splendid words of van Manen:

46. The Home of Paulinism

Where that circle, under the patronage of "Paul," must be looked for cannot be said with certainty. Probably it was in Syria, more particularly in Antioch; yet it may have been somewhere in Asia Minor. We may be practically certain, at all events, that it was not in Palestine; it was in an environment where no obstruction was in the first instance encountered from the Jews or, perhaps still worse, from the "disciples" too closely resembling them; where men as friends of gnosis, of speculation, and of mysticism, probably under the influence of Greek and, more especially, Alexandrian philosophy, had learned to cease to regard themselves as bound by tradition, and felt themselves free to extend their flight in every direction. To avail ourselves of a somewhat later expression: it was among the heretics. The epistles first came to be placed on the list among the gnostics. The oldest witnesses to their existence, as Meyer and other critics with a somewhat wonderful unanimity, have been declaring for more than half a century, are Basilides, Valentinus, Heracleon. Marcion is the first in whom, as we learn from Tertullian, traces are to be found of an authoritative group of epistles of Paul. Tertullian still calls him hereticorum apostolus (Adv. Mar. 3.5) and (addressing Marcion) apostolus vester (1.15).

Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

StephenGoranson wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:15 am But, Giuseppe, isn’t it possible that Hebrew and Greek gospels both existed before Revelation was written, and if so, then this would not tell which language was used first?
I am assuming that Revelation was written before the first gospel. Afterall, there is no mention of a Gospel Jesus in Revelation. Given that premise, the anti-Romanism in Revelation is a great obstacle for who assumes that a first gospel, being written in Hebrew, was addressed only to Jews from Judea. Revelation assumes already the existence of "false" apostles in action among the gentiles and speaking Greek. The gentilizing trend is in strong contradiction with an only Jewish audience (= necessary corollary of a Hebrew first gospel).
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

Reportedly, and if true:

Paul called himself an apostle, and also called some of his associates apostles.
Paul had dealings, in person and by letter, with Ephesians.
Paul was a citizen of Rome; the Revelation of John view is anti-Rome.
Paul and Revelation-view differed on matters of “faith and works.”
Revelation-view is negative on some people who called themselves apostles. Those "false apostles" were known by some Ephesians, who Rev praised for their works.
gryan

Post by gryan »

StephenGoranson wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:33 am Reportedly, and if true:

Paul called himself an apostle, and also called some of his associates apostles.
Paul had dealings, in person and by letter, with Ephesians.
Paul was a citizen of Rome; the Revelation of John view is anti-Rome.
Paul and Revelation-view differed on matters of “faith and works.”
Revelation-view is negative on some people who called themselves apostles. Those "false apostles" were known by some Ephesians, who Rev praised for their works.
Paul spoke against "works of the law" but not against good works, and so Paul was in basic agreement with the argument of the book of James: "God will repay each one according to his works.” Rom. 2:6

As for whether Paul existed, I'm reading the NT in light of standard dating by scholars who themselves don't entertain radical doubts about the existence of Paul.
StephenGoranson

Post by StephenGoranson »

gryan: [corrected] "....Paul was in basic agreement with the argument of the book of James...."
I accept that that is your view, but merely note that there is a long history of different interpretation.