Why a Samaritan Tradition never existed

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Why a Samaritan Tradition never existed

Post by Giuseppe »

I had believed for long time that the presence of favorable references to Samaritans in Luke and John, and expressions as :

The Jews answered him, ‘Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?’

(John 8:48)

...was evidence of a Samaritan tradition ended sooner or later in the Gospels.

But I was wrong.

Reading this article,
https://brill.com/view/book/9789004390706/BP000009.xml

it becomes clear that 'Samaritan' was a mere label meant to de-ethnicize Jesus, or Simon Peter for that matter (hence the invention of Simon Magus).

In the words of the author:

This book will argue that the function of ethnic labeling in the Gospel of John is to enable the author of the Gospel of John to assert a trans-ethnic identity for the followers of Jesus. The Gospel of John’s trans-ethnic identity is established by Jesus’s broadening of traditional Judean ethnic identity into the “children of God, who were born, not of blood or of the will of the flesh or of the will of man, but of God” ( John 1:12b–13). The primary examples of ethnic labeling for this book are John 4:9 and 8:48. In John 4:

(my bold)

In short: on behalf of Gentilizers and against Judaizers.

There was never a Samaritan tradition, or Samaritan apostles of the first hour, even less so a Samaritan Jesus.
MrMacSon

Re: Why a Samaritan Tradition never existed

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:03 am
it becomes clear that 'Samaritan' was a mere label meant to de-ethnicize Jesus, or Simon Peter for that matter (hence the invention of Simon Magus)

There was never a Samaritan tradition, or Samaritan apostles of the first hour, even less so a Samaritan Jesus.
It's not clear whether you're referring to references to Samaritans in the [original] Gospels [or early Jesus narratives] or more widely, but, to be clear, Samaritans were and still are a people: there are Samaritans in Israel today, albeit very few, and there are Samaritans living around the world. I hope you're not seeking to cleanse history of them.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

MrMacSon wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:38 am
It's not clear whether you're referring to references to Samaritans in the [original] Gospels [or early Jesus narratives] or more widely, but, to be clear, Samaritans were and still are a people
should I really answer an idiotic question as your? :x

What I am saying is that there were no Samaritans at all among early Christians, that the idea that the Fourth Gospel or the Parable of Samaritan in Luke had Samaritan sources is totally stupid, idiotic and crank. :banghead: :tomato: :confusedsmiley:
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

In all of past history, was there ever a time when Galilee was actually within the bounds of Samaria?
lsayre

Post by lsayre »

When proclaimed to be a Samaritan possessed with a demon, Jesus denied having a demon, but said nothing to refute that he was indeed a Samaritan.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

lsayre wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:46 am When proclaimed to be a Samaritan possessed with a demon, Jesus denied having a demon, but said nothing to refute that he was indeed a Samaritan.
you don't realize the irony with:

The Samaritan woman said to him, ‘How is it that you, a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?’

John 4:9