Is Secret Mark evidence that John Baptist was interpolated in Mark?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Is Secret Mark evidence that John Baptist was interpolated in Mark?

Post by Giuseppe »

I remember somewhere that someone interpreted the episode in Secret Mark as Jesus becoming officially the last high priest of Jerusalem.

Hence, an "anointed", a Christ.

If Secret Mark talked about the original anointment of Jesus, then the other anointment of Jesus, in the form of his baptism by John, was not necessary and even excluded by the original story.

Said in other terms, Secret Mark was removed to make place to a different anointment of Jesus, one happened before his ministry in Galilee and not, as in the original story, after the ministry in Galilee and just before his entry to Jerusalem.
Giuseppe

Re: Is Secret Mark evidence that John Baptist was interpolated in Mark?

Post by Giuseppe »

By Secret Mark I mean only this episode:

And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, "Son of David, have mercy on me." But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.

Giuseppe

Re: Is Secret Mark evidence that John Baptist was interpolated in Mark?

Post by Giuseppe »

I have derived the idea from here:

If one is to find a match in the ancient literature for the ritual the rich young man in the Secret Gospel of Mark underwent, a possible match is the ritual for installing a new high priest as set forth in the Tanakh.

Note that for the author of the article, during the ritual Jesus doesn't become himself the new high priest but the young naked in his place.

One may imagine easily Jesus ben Sapphat in fugue from Galilee, who becomes high priest in the service of the new ruler of the Temple of Jerusalem: John of Gischala.