Is the Categorization of Heresies 'Aristotelian'?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Secret Alias

Is the Categorization of Heresies 'Aristotelian'?

Post by Secret Alias »

I know this is a stupid question but I am not an expert in very much to do with antiquity. As far as I remember all Aristotle did was just categorize things. One of philosophy professors said 'Aristotle is your grandmother.' Is it a stretch to say that Irenaeus's obsession with categorizing heresies as inherently Aristotelian?
Irish1975

Re: Is the Categorization of Heresies 'Aristotelian'?

Post by Irish1975 »

I think there's something to this.

One thing that Aristotle does in his Physics and Metaphysics is look back at his predecessors in the Greek philosophical tradition (roughly 2 centuries), beginning with Thales, and evaluate them according to the standard of how well or how poorly their views accord with his own. In many cases scholars of pre-Socratic philosophy have concluded that Aristotle (like his teacher Plato) was fundamentally unreliable and inaccurate in his assessment of these figures. But his works survived and their works largely didn't. Seems like a comparable situation with the heresiologists.