who invented the name Jesus?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: who invented the name Jesus?

Post by MrMacSon »

cora wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:40 pm ... It was the gospel of Marcion that was circulating in Chrestian/Christian communities.
Any other gospels were never...mentioned etc. They arrive in 185 and were produced for the church of Rome.
Yes, that is what a few scholars are now saying: that the Synoptic Gospels followed and indeed used the gospel of Marcion.

cora wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:40 pm we all know that Moses' assistant is called Josua
Yes

cora wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:40 pm Any Iesous in the OT is a forgery.
When Hellenized Jews began writing the Hebrew Bible in Greek, as the LXX/Septuagint, Yoshua became Ἰησοῦς / Iēsous in the Greek.

cora wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:40 pm Yeshua would become Iesua.
If so, we have very little if any evidence of that, as far as I know.

cora wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:40 pm Crazy Justin invented Iesous and a lot more. I read an article about it. I know why he did it, and how he did it I figured out myself. Is this all to difficult to understand? Why don't you all read a bit about it? Extensively.
I've been looking into Justin more deeply recently and I tend to agree, I think he did have a big role to play in coalescing a lot of concepts. Do you have a name of or a link to the article you read?
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Cora,
Isu Chrestos has now been found in Paul.
And where would that be?
Isu comes from a Marcionite writing. So Isu Chrestos was the son of god in Marcion's churches. Marcion followed strictly Paul. These are chrestians.
Rome undertook action against Marcion and Paul around 155/160. Crazy Justin invented Iesous and a lot more. I read an article about it. I know why he did it, and how he did it I figured out myself. Is this all to difficult to understand? Why don't you all read a bit about it? Extensively. It was the gospel of Marcion that was circulating in chrestian/Christian communities.
Any other gospels were never found, mentioned etc. They arrive in 185 and were produced for the church of rome.
Unevidence assertions, again
It is really sad to have to explain this again.
You are not explaining anything. You just say what you believe, again and again.
You are not answering my questions to you.
You are ignoring what I wrote to hakeem and yourself on these matters (where I do provide explanations).

Cordially, Bernard
cora

Post by cora »

One small remark: the Septuagint was made by the jews in Judea themselves, soon after they had written the Hebrew original, and was also spread by them. They wanted other people to read about their almighty god. This was done in the 3rd century BC. I read a large article by a jewish author about all the reactions they got. I am sure Yoshua was in it.

After Justin invented Iesous the name Josua was replaced by Iesous. So they could say in the future that Jesus came from Yoshua, and that therefore his name meant "saviour". It is invented and it is forgery of the scripture, for the sake of the so-called "saviour". Sounds logical to me.

How did Justin do this? Very easy, he took ISU and inserted an E. ISU became IESU, and the I was going to be pronounced as J. It would sound like JESU. To get the right pronunciation he inserted an O. IESU became IESOU. OU is pronounced as OO in book. And because in greek every male name ends with an S, the S was added. IESOU became IESOUS. Done.
As you can see IT IS BASED ON ISU, ISU is still there. Actually he only inserted an E, the rest is pronunciation and greek custom.
That is what Justin did. And it has nothing to do with Josua. And it was not "Hellenistic jews" who just did this. When did they do this? Why would they? Who is Iesous (jesus) anyway? To jews nobody, they do not even know that name. It is not jewish. It was done first in rome, after 170.
I think you are mistaken.

I guess from the article (I don't know where it is, somewhere on the Wikipedia, I would have to look for it myself again) I understand why he did it. I think you would not. I do because I know the whole story from the beginning. It is something jewish/Samaritan. It is the first and probably the last time I have to agree with Justin. It proves at the same time that Paul and Marcion were not jewish at all. So it points to the forgeries in Paul's letters. The writer of the article thought it all "irrelevant".

greetings, mr MacSon, from Cora.