On dating the Gnostic literature after 325 CE

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Leucius Charinus

Re: On dating the Gnostic literature after 325 CE

Post by Leucius Charinus »

Sorry I missed this in the flow of the thread PK and Mac.
Peter Kirby wrote:The number of people that give any credence to your phony history can be counted on one hand. The number of people who know your personal history is a little wider and encompasses this entire forum. Hence the underwhelming amount of interest in your thesis.
The amount of people who temper their theories with a healthy respect for the corruption, dishonesty and outright fraud of the church and the literary sources which it has preserved are few. I just ask that ideas can be discussed and examined in an objective manner and within the bounds of the historical method.
Your exclusion of the references to these texts on other sources is completely arbitrary.
No it is most certainly not arbitrary. One of the key criteria of the historical method is that any given source may be forged or corrupt. I am totally within the limits of the historical method to treat as corrupt the literary sources preserved by one specific organisation. This organisation became political at Nicaea and in conjuction with the emperor (or vise verse) published the Bible. The Nicaean Church preserved the sources known as "Eusebius", :Origen", "Irenaeus", "Hippolytus", "Tertullian", etc. One self-serving political entity had a throttle hold on the publication and preservation of literature with effect from the year c.325CE.

Therefore my excluding the references from the church fathers is the exclusion of one source, and is thus NOT arbitrary. Moreover in a very real political sense, the orthodoxy were the political enemies of the gnostic heretics, and the gnostic heretics were the political enemies of the orthodoxy. It is quite justifiable to simply exclude any secondary source (in this case the Nicaean church organisation) as a reliable source of information about people who were their political enemies.

Oh, and yes, all the references to the Gnostics in the ante-Nicene literature were planted there by their enemies. Because that totally makes sense.
EXAMPLE: Clementine literature already discussed.

The Clementine literature was authored in the 4th century, but Gregory of Nazianzus and Basil interpolated "Origen" to lay a false trail....
  • It was long believed that the early date of the Clementines was proved by the fact that they were twice quoted by Origen. One of these quotations occurs in the Philokalia of Sts. Gregory of Nazianzus and Basil (c. 360). Dr. Armitage Robinson showed in his edition of that work (1893) that the citation is an addition to the passage of Origen made by the compilers, or possibly by a later editor. The other citation occurs in the old Latin translation of Origen on Matthew. This translation is full of interpolations and alterations, and the passage of Pseudo-Clement is apparently an interpolation by the translator from the Arian Opus imperfectum in Matt.[4]
Your dismissal of paleographic methods of dating manuscripts from Oxyrhynchus (several from the second and third centuries) is entirely self-serving.
There have been a series of recent publications that seriously question the upper bounds associated with the palaeographical dating of these manuscripts and on the basis of these I reject your assertion. The most recent of these articles suggests that a 4th century upper bound date is not beyond the realms of possibility for these manuscripts from Oxyrhynchus. So again, I reject this suggestion. If you want to further discuss these articles you have my attention.

For example:

Early New Testament Manuscripts and Their Dates: A Critique of Theological Palaeography: Pasquale Orsini & Willy Clarysse [2012]
  • Early New Testament Manuscripts and Their Dates: A Critique of Theological Palaeography
    Pasquale Orsini & Willy Clarysse
    Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses 88 (2012): 443-474.

Abstract

The date of the earliest New Testament papyri is nearly always
    based on palaeographical criteria. A consensus among papyrologists,
    palaeographers and New Testament scholars is presented in the edition
    of Nestle-Aland, 1994. In the last twenty years several New Testament
    scholars (Thiede, Comfort-Barrett, 1999, 2001 and Jaroš, 2006) have
    argued for an earlier date of most of these texts. The present article
    analyzes the date of the earliest New Testament papyri on the basis of
    comparative palaeography and a clear distinction between different
    types of literary scripts. There are no first-century New Testament
    papyri and only very few papyri can be attributed to the (second half
    of the) second century. It is only in the third and fourth centuries
    that New Testament manuscripts become more common, but here too the
    dates proposed by Comfort-Barrett, 1999, 2001, and Jaroš, 2006 are
    often too early.

13. The Limits of Palaeographic Dating of Literary Papyri: Date/Provenance P.Bodmer II (P66): Brent Nongbri [2014]

• The Limits of Palaeographic Dating of Literary Papyri: Some Observations on the Date and Provenance of P.Bodmer II (P66)
    By Brent Nongbri, Macquarie University [2014]

Abstract
    Palaeographic estimates of the date of P.Bodmer II, the well-preserved Greek papyrus codex of the Gospel of John, have ranged from the early second century to the first half of the third century. There are, however, equally con- vincing palaeographic parallels among papyri securely dated to as late as the fourth century. This article surveys the palaeographic evidence and argues that the range of possible dates assigned to P.Bodmer II on the basis of palaeography needs to be broadened to include the fourth century. Furthermore, a serious con- sideration of a date at the later end of that broadened spectrum of palaeographic possibilities helps to explain both the place of P.Bodmer lI in relation to other Bodmer papyri and several aspects of the codicology of P.Bodmer II.
Even your vaunted C-14 dating, with Codex Tchacos (ca. 280 +/- 60 years as you know), is massaged and manipulated to achieve preconceived ideas.

I did not perform the C14 dating or publish the final report for the tests. The data is the data. Therefore what precisely do you mean by " massaged and manipulated to achieve preconceived ideas" ?

LC
Last edited by Leucius Charinus on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

A Second-Century Valentinian Inscription from the Via Latina in Rome:

https://www.academia.edu/2702572/A_Seco ... Via_Latina

Funerary Inscription of Flavia Sophe, a 3rd century Gnostic at Rome:

http://books.google.com/books?id=3XxxkESCWz4C&pg=PA212

Papyri:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyrhynchus_Papyri
http://www.areopage.net/PDF/PapyriFromT ... nEgypt.pdf
188 P.Oxy. 3.405 II/III Oxyrhynchus Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 3.9, 2-3
213 P.Oxy. 41.2949 II/III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Peter
214 P.Oxy. 4.654 III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, Prologue and logoi 1-7
215 P.Oxy. 50.3525 III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Mary
217 P.Oxy. 4.655 beg. III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, logoi 24, 36-39
224 P.Ryl. 3.463 beg. III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Mary
225 P.Oxy. 1.1 early III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, logoi 26-33, 77a
226 P.Schøyen 1.21 III unknown Acts of Paul and Thecla

Let me guess. All the dates on the latter are wrong, and the identifications of the content of the inscriptions are insecure.

Oh, and yes, all the references to the Gnostics in the ante-Nicene literature were planted there by their enemies. Because that totally makes sense.

Isn't that swell. I think you'll need a theme song for your heroic exercise.

Nothing stops the mountain man,
Spins and spins as long as he can.
The fourth century is where it began.
If the dates do not quite fit,
He'll huff and puff and even spit,
And if the texts show him wrong,
He'll smoke them in a great big bong.
Nothing stops the mountain man!
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
Leucius Charinus

HA HA HA PK. OK have some fun at my expense.

I have made a response to all of the above except the inscriptions in the preceding post.
Thanks for the inscription references. I will take a look at them.

LC
A "cobbler of fables" [Augustine]; "Leucius is the disciple of the devil" [Decretum Gelasianum]; and his books "should be utterly swept away and burned" [Pope Leo I]; they are the "source and mother of all heresy" [Photius]
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Well thanks for taking it in good fun.
"... almost every critical biblical position was earlier advanced by skeptics." - Raymond Brown
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Leucius Charinus wrote:
The Christian orthodoxy is defined by a specific series of literary texts known as the canonical texts. OTOH the Christian heretical literature is defined by a very large series of texts, with the core series of these texts consistent of the Gnostic Gospels and Acts.

The church fathers provide secondary evidence for the heretical Christian gnostics. Manuscript discoveries such as the NHC provide primary evidence for the heretical Christian gnostics. My entire approach is to examine the literary evidence, not the "philosophies". I have tabulated well over 100 of these non canonical and gnostic texts and linked to these in the OP.

Does this make anything any clearer? Thanks very much for seeking clarification.
Not really that clear, b/c you use long-winded waffly explanations in trying to whole-heartedly pigeon-hole lots of texts.

eg. The Christian orthodoxy is defined by a specific series of literary texts known as the canonical texts.

You don't think I know that??!

and 'heretical Christian gnostics' is tautology, but somewhat contradiction too. Of course the Gnostics are considered heretical, and they're not really 'Christian'.

I won't engage further, unless you want to talk about particular documents in relation to their role in time, place, or in context of other document.

Trying to follow the way you seem to want to do it is doing my head in.
Leucius Charinus

Peter Kirby wrote:A Second-Century Valentinian Inscription from the Via Latina in Rome:

https://www.academia.edu/2702572/A_Seco ... Via_Latina
From that article ....
    • Others have raised dissenting voices with regard to important aspects of NCE 156. In a recent article, Paul McKechnie has questioned the Antoninedate, prefferring to situate it in the fourth century. Clemens Scholten wonders whether the inscription is even Christian and sharply criticizes Peter Lampe for using the Flavia Sophe inscription and NCE 156 to construct a social-historical account of Valentinian Christianity in Rome. Scholten believes that NCE 156 is more likely to be a wedding inscription with no particular religious significance. He does not, however, provide any examples of such an inscription, and in later work, Lampe significantly expands his argument, showing that a Valentinian Christian interpretation remains the most likely of possible readings. Scholten’s scepticism is salutary, however, as it invites a reconsideration of NCE 156 within the context of Greek sepulchral poetry.
The author states that there are other scholars who are wondering whether this inscription is even Christian.

Funerary Inscription of Flavia Sophe, a 3rd century Gnostic at Rome:

http://books.google.com/books?id=3XxxkESCWz4C&pg=PA212
Ficino and others discussed this inscription in the thread on archaeological evidence for pre-Constantinian Christianity
The most recent publication on this is also written by Snyder ....
https://www.academia.edu/2702854/The_Di ... ew_Results

A 4th century date for this inscription does not seem to be ruled out.

Papyri:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyrhynchus_Papyri
http://www.areopage.net/PDF/PapyriFromT ... nEgypt.pdf
188 P.Oxy. 3.405 II/III Oxyrhynchus Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 3.9, 2-3
213 P.Oxy. 41.2949 II/III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Peter
214 P.Oxy. 4.654 III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, Prologue and logoi 1-7
215 P.Oxy. 50.3525 III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Mary
217 P.Oxy. 4.655 beg. III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, logoi 24, 36-39
224 P.Ryl. 3.463 beg. III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Mary
225 P.Oxy. 1.1 early III Oxyrhynchus Gospel of Thomas, logoi 26-33, 77a
226 P.Schøyen 1.21 III unknown Acts of Paul and Thecla

Let me guess. All the dates on the latter are wrong....
According to "The Limits of Palaeographic Dating of Literary Papyri: Date/Provenance P.Bodmer II (P66): Brent Nongbri [2014]" an upper bound to all these dates should include the 4th century.
.... and the identifications of the content of the inscriptions are insecure.

See above. Are they secure?

Why did Gregory of Nazianzus and Basil interpolated "Origen" to lay a false "Early trail" about the 4th century appearance of the Clementine literature?

Can you answer that question at all? It makes little sense for these two 4th century orthodox writers to interpolate Origen, but they did interpolate Origen and for the purpose, it would seem, that the reader of Origen would consequently assume that Origen knew about the Clementine literature in the 3rd century.

LC
Leucius Charinus

MrMacSon wrote:Of course the Gnostics are considered heretical, and they're not really 'Christian'.
OK. Are you able to view them as extremely well educated pagan authors who were in the generation that witnessed Constantine's army and Bible rolling into Alexandria c.324/325 CE?
I won't engage further, unless you want to talk about particular documents in relation to their role in time, place, or in context of other document.

I am happy to talk about any so-called "early" non canonical document and the evidence by which it is currently believed to have been authored "early" (i.e. before Nicaea).

That is the entire purpose of the OP.

IMO the orthodoxy who preserved the early manuscripts has fabricated by interpolation and forgery an extremely complex web of lies about the chronology of the heretical literature. The purpose of this fabricated chronology IMO was to divert historical attention away from the massive controversy that ensued in the generation which witnessed the first reception of the Bible into political history. This controversy included the authorship of the non canonical texts and their prohibition.

Trying to follow the way you seem to want to do it is doing my head in.

Well please accept my apologies.

LC
andrewbos

Post by andrewbos »

Leucius Charinus wrote:IMO the orthodoxy who preserved the early manuscripts has fabricated by interpolation and forgery an extremely complex web of lies about the chronology of the heretical literature. The purpose of this fabricated chronology IMO was to divert historical attention away from the massive controversy that ensued in the generation which witnessed the first reception of the Bible into political history. This controversy included the authorship of the non canonical texts and their prohibition.
The way you explain all this fabrication seems to me rather contrived and unconvincing.
It seems you are implying (correct me where I go wrong) that prior to the introduction of the Constantine bible there was hardly any christian literature with much scriptural authority used in the christian communities and hence little need for the more gnostic groups to write anything at all for their own communities?
So all of a sudden these gnostic groups felt they should also have authoritative scriptures where they used none before because the orthodox scriptures became more firmly connected to the political power?
How likely is it that such a large body of diverse gnostic scriptures would have been fabricated in such a short time span?

And how would the orthodox religious authorities consider all of these new gnostic scriptures to be a threat if just a few years earlier no religious community had ever heard of them?
Peter Kirby
Site Admin

Post by Peter Kirby »

Leucius Charinus wrote:Why did Gregory of Nazianzus and Basil interpolated "Origen" to lay a false "Early trail" about the 4th century appearance of the Clementine literature?

Can you answer that question at all? It makes little sense for these two 4th century orthodox writers to interpolate Origen, but they did interpolate Origen and
Leucius Charinus wrote:for the purpose, it would seem, that the reader of Origen would consequently assume that Origen knew about the Clementine literature in the 3rd century.
That is not a very intelligent assumption.

I should have taken my own hint and stayed out of this thread. You are indeed helpless and a waste of time.
outhouse

Post by outhouse »

Peter Kirby wrote: You are indeed helpless and a waste of time.

LOL a years ahead of you.

The ignore feature is a beautiful thing in this case.

I would rather argue evolution with a YEC, at least then you have comedy.