The introduction of Luke

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Ben C. Smith

Re: The introduction of Luke

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:04 am
Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:44 am I don't think "fulfilled" is a good translation: the Thayer Greek Lexicon has for "ἀνατάξασθαι": put together in order, arrange, compose, as in the RSV: "Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile a narrative of the things which have been accomplished among us," (of course, this statement, with "many", is BS)
That (ἀνατάξασθαι) is not the word normally translated as "fulfilled" in Luke 1.1. The word πεπληροφορημένων is what is being referred to. Your translation above has "accomplished" for πεπληροφορημένων.
Bernard Muller wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 am to Ben,
I was addressing "fulfilled" in the NIV translation, which was a subject of comments by rgprice in his OP.

Cordially, Bernard
The word "fulfilled" in the NIV is translating πεπληροφορημένων, not ἀνατάξασθαι. Or maybe I am completely missing your point.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
You are right. I was confused.

Cordially, Bernard
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

It happens. No problem.
Bernard Muller

Post by Bernard Muller »

to Ben,
to rgprice,
I'll have another go at it:
'πεπληροφορημένων' can mean (for 'πληροθορηθεις') persuaded, fully convinced or assured according to the Thayer Greek Lexicon.
It is translated with expressions of similar meaning in the KJV "which are most surely believed", the NKJV alternative translation " are most surely believed", in the NIV alternative translation "been surely believed", in the CSB alternative translation "events that have been accomplished, or events most surely believed", in the NASB alternative translation "on which there is full conviction", in the YLT "of the matters that have been fully assured", in Darby "concerning the matters fully believed", in the WEB "those things which are most surely believed"

So with the tense being the perfect passive participle, we would have as in:
Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compose a narrative of the things fully convincing/assured/persuading among us,

The perfect is used for an action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated.

Cordially, Bernard