Who is Luke?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
John2

Re: Who is Luke?

Post by John2 »

hakeem wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:02 am
I asked you "When was there a "circle" around Luke ?

You failed to answer.

I didn't say the circle was "around" Luke, but according to Philemon he and the other people mentioned along with him belonged to the same social circle, that of being Christians in close association with Paul.

By the way there is no claim in Philemon that Luke wrote anything or was a physician.

I am aware of that and have noted it in this thread. But I am starting to better appreciate Colossians, and if I had to guess who wrote it I would say Paul's close companion Timothy, and according to Philippians Timothy knew the same people that Luke did and the detail in Colossians that he was a physician fits with at least one and possibly two of them (including Timothy himself) suffering severe illnesses (along with the amount of illness and healing in Luke/Acts, regardless that the words used to describe it are also used in non-medical writings). So while nothing can be proven, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that Luke was a physician and wrote or contributed to Luke/Acts.
arnoldo

Medice, cura te ipsum

Post by arnoldo »

Phyisican heal thyself.png
Phyisican heal thyself.png (80.37 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
Attachments
Commentary on Luke with Medical Terms.pdf
(321.51 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
hakeem

Re: Medice, cura te ipsum

Post by hakeem »

arnoldo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 pm Phyisican heal thyself.png
If supposed medical terms in a book makes the author a physician then Josephus must have been one.

Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews 17.6. 5.
But now Herod's distemper greatly increased upon him after a severe manner, and this by God's judgment upon him for his sins; for a fire glowed in him slowly, which did not so much appear to the touch outwardly, as it augmented his pains inwardly; for it brought upon him a vehement appetite to eating, which he could not avoid to supply with one sort of food or other. His entrails were also ex-ulcerated, and the chief violence of his pain lay on his colon; an aqueous and transparent liquor also had settled itself about his feet, and a like matter afflicted him at the bottom of his belly.

Josephus' Wars of the Jews 1.33,.5
. After this, the distemper seized upon his whole body, and greatly disordered all its parts with various symptoms; for there was a gentle fever upon him, and an intolerable itching over all the surface of his body, and continual pains in his colon, and dropsical turnouts about his feet, and an inflammation of the abdomen, and a putrefaction of his privy member, that produced worms. Besides which he had a difficulty of breathing upon him, and could not breathe but when he sat upright, and had a convulsion of all his members, insomuch that the diviners said those diseases were a punishment upon him for what he had done to the Rabbins.

John2

Post by John2 »

That's what Cadbury says, as I already noted upthread.
arnoldo

Post by arnoldo »

The supposed medical terms in Luke may also indicate an Anti-Docetic interpolation or an apologetic omission.
Luke 22.43.44.png
Luke 22.43.44.png (56.93 KiB) Viewed 4748 times

https://rts.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020 ... -Hyatt.pdf