WHVH rendered in Koine

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Jax

WHVH rendered in Koine

Post by Jax »

Hope this isn't a braindead question.

Could the noma sacra IS, IU, IN be used for the Tetragrammaton WVHV in early Christian texts?

Just a thought.

Lane
Secret Alias

Re: WHVH rendered in Koine

Post by Secret Alias »

Why does Yahweh begin with W?
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Jax wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:10 pm Hope this isn't a braindead question.

Could the noma sacra IS, IU, IN be used for the Tetragrammaton WVHV in early Christian texts?

Just a thought.

Lane
There have been plenty of hypotheses attempting to connect the Tetragrammaton (YHWH) to the nomina sacra. There is no direct connection, by which I mean that the letters of the Tetragrammaton do not correspond to the letters of any nomen sacrum, so the connections are always indirect, meaning that the nomina sacra may have been inspired by the way some Jewish scribes treated the holy name.

If you are interested, I have posted my current approach (though undoubtedly not my final one) to the phenomenon recently, one which does allow for the Tetragrammaton to have inspired Christian scribes to abbreviate certain words using Greek methods of abbreviation found in different combinations in manuscripts, on coins, and in inscriptions.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Sorry, meant YVHV.

My bad.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Thank you Ben.

You are the man!

👍