If Mythicism Was a Central Concern of the Earliest Christians Why Don't the Church Fathers Mention It?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
GakuseiDon

Re: If Mythicism Was a Central Concern of the Earliest Christians Why Don't the Church Fathers Mention It?

Post by GakuseiDon »

MrMacSon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:58 pm
GakuseiDon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:55 pm ... the Church Fathers seemed to have chosen mythicists' texts to form what will eventually become the bulk of the New Testament canon, according to mythicists.
Which Church Fathers are you referring to (as choosing the texts that became the bulk of the NT canon)?
Perhaps I phrased that wrong. To be clear: if the mythicists are right, then the Church Fathers seemed to have chosen to value mythicists' texts that eventually form the bulk of the New Testament canon.
MrMacSon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:58 pmAre you inferring the NT texts at some point -in some early iteration- were mythicist?
Depending on the mythicist, most of the books in the NT are from ahistoricist sources. Using Dr Carrier and Doherty:

TextComment
4 Canonical GospelsMark is mythicist, others unclear
RomansMythicist
First CorinthiansMythicist
Second CorinthiansMythicist
GalatiansMythicist
EphesiansMythicist
PhilippiansMythicist
ColossiansMythicist
First ThessaloniansMythicist
Second ThessaloniansHistoricist
First TimothyHistoricist passage, though may be interpolation into mythicist text
Second TimothyUnclear
TitusUnclear
PhilemonMythicist
HebrewsMythicist
ActsHistoricist
JamesPossibly mythicist (Doherty)
First PeterUnclear
Second PeterForged historicist letter (Carrier)
First JohnForged historicist letter (Carrier)
Second JohnUnclear
Third JohnUnclear
Book of RevelationMythicist

"Unclear" means not really enough evidence either way, or the mythicist author doesn't evaluate the book either way.

On the NT books generally, Doherty writes in his "Jesus: Neither God Nor Man", from page 17:

So let's begin. From the record of what the New Testament epistles do not say, we will look at a puzzle piece that may be called "The Missing Equation."

Those 22 documents in the latter part of the New Testament contain almost 100,000 words. They are the product of about a dozen different writers, Paul being the most prominent. In them, one encounters over 500 references to the object of all these writers' faith: "Jesus" or "Christ" or a combination of these names, or "the Son," plus a few to "the Lord" meaning Christ.

Even if these writings are "occasional"—and some of them are more than that—is it feasible that in all this discussion and defense of their faith, nowhere would anyone, by choice, accident or necessity, happen to use words which would identify the divine Son and Christ they are all talking about with his recent incarnation: whether this be the man Jesus of Nazareth known to us from the Gospels, born of Mary and died under Pilate, or some other 'genuine Jesus' unearthed by modern critical scholarship? As astonishing as such a silence may seem, an equation such as "Jesus of Nazareth was the Son of God and Messiah" is missing from all the early Christian correspondence. The Jesus of the epistles is not spoken of as a man who had recently lived.

There are two passages in the epistles which present apparent exceptions to what has just been said, plus a third which could be claimed to fall into such a category, and they will be addressed immediately so as not to compromise the argument.

Doherty then gives and analyses those three examples: 1 Thess 2:15-16, 1 Tim 6:13 and 1 Cor 11:23-26. He continues:

Thus, we are left with an entire corpus of early Christian correspondence which gives us no indication that the divine Christ these writers look to for salvation is to be identified with the man Jesus of Nazareth whom the Gospels place in the early 1 st century—or, indeed, with any man in their recent past.

To me, assuming the mythicist theory is correct, it is odd that so many ahistoricist texts were valued by historicists. There are quite a few more Second Century texts that, according to Doherty, were also the products of ahistoricist Christians. As Doherty writes:

As one can see by this survey, if one leaves aside Justin Martyr there is a silence in the 2nd Century apologists on the subject of the historical Jesus which is virtually equal of that found in the 1st century epistle writers. (Page 485)

Last edited by GakuseiDon on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Secret Alias

Re: If Mythicism Was a Central Concern of the Earliest Christians Why Don't the Church Fathers Mention It?

Post by Secret Alias »

I think it'd be helpful if you could be more specific
Irenaeus says Marcion posits the existence of two gods, that Jesus wasn't the Christ of the Creator, that he didn't have a material body, that he didn't have a mother or father. Irenaeus doesn't say that any group anywhere at any time believed that Jesus never existed. Even if you somehow twist Irenaeus's words to make it seem that we *can* read Irenaeus *as if* he says something that *might* sound like mythicism, why isn't Irenaeus as explicit as he is with other heretical beliefs? Given that Irenaeus is typically explicit his lack of explicitness about the existence of mythicists likely means he didn't know of any.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 pm

Besides, despite all the claims to the contrary, I cannot help but think that the evidence actually points to Paul (and all early Christians) believing in a Jesus figure who was crucified on earth, even if he only appeared on earth for a few hours for that purpose.
My problem with this view are his implications in terms of intellectual honesty. How can one proclaim himself 'Jesus Agnostic' or even Jesus Mythicist, when he thinks that the early Christians placed Jesus on earth?
He should conclude honestly still that historicism is the best probable explanation.

My reasons to be grateful to Earl Doherty (and precursors) is that he gives a motive great as a house to can say: yes, if really the early Christians arrived to the point of placing Jesus's crucifixion in heaven, then yes, mythicism is proved 100% in absolute intellectual honesty.

Without none "if" and none "but".

While, the Wellsian mythicism seems to me as masked historicism. When about a person the maximum you can say is that he/she was considered as "entirely shrouded in fog", the default position that has to be taken is minimal historicity, not even agnosticism.

Hence, Neil, I can't not throw also against you (as I have made against Ben C. Smith) the sincere accusation of intellectual dishonesty, from my POV, even if I are grateful to you for your blogs (I think that there is no need for say so, but I would add it for sake of completeness).
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe -- there is no question of intellectual dishonesty whatever in any proposal that an earthly Jesus could also be a mythical Jesus. Heracles was an earthly hero but he was also mythical. Adam and Eve were earthly figures but they were also mythical. What's the difference with Jesus? There is no intellectual dishonesty here.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Secret Alias wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:29 pm
I think it'd be helpful if you could be more specific
Irenaeus says Marcion posits the existence of two gods, that Jesus wasn't the Christ of the Creator, that he didn't have a material body, that he didn't have a mother or father. Irenaeus doesn't say that any group anywhere at any time believed that Jesus never existed. Even if you somehow twist Irenaeus's words to make it seem that we *can* read Irenaeus *as if* he says something that *might* sound like mythicism, why isn't Irenaeus as explicit as he is with other heretical beliefs? Given that Irenaeus is typically explicit his lack of explicitness about the existence of mythicists likely means he didn't know of any.
note as Secret Alias evades so rapidly the mention the Irenaeus's condemnation of the Valentinian belief that the Passion of Christ happened in circumstances similar to the Passion of Aeon, i.e., in Outer Space.

He ignores that 'mythicist Christians' are simply Christians who believe firmly and blindly that Jesus died in outer space, and that if you talk them about a historical Jesus, their belief could oblige them to only two options:
  • to reject your historical Jesus (especially if accompanied with the corollary who he is the Jewish Messiah)
  • or: to include your historical Jesus, but seeing him as mere allegory of the "real" Jesus died in outer space. In the words of Irenaeus (II, 20, 3): "a type of the suffering Aeon".
Last edited by Giuseppe on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:12 pm Giuseppe -- there is no question of intellectual dishonesty whatever in any proposal that an earthly Jesus could also be a mythical Jesus. Heracles was an earthly hero but he was also mythical. Adam and Eve were earthly figures but they were also mythical. What's the difference with Jesus? There is no intellectual dishonesty here.
the objection is easy: the early Christians (Paul and Pillars) would placed your earthly (but mythical) Jesus in the recent past (whereas Heracles was placed in the distant past). Who are you - who are us? - to put in discussion the historical reality of their belief?

More humility is required here.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

GakuseiDon wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:23 pm To me, assuming the mythicist theory is correct, it is odd that so many ahistoricist texts were valued by historicists.
There is no "mythicist theory". There are a variety of different explanations for the evidence we have before us -- explanations that claim to offer a better explanation than that the evidence is the end result of processes that began with a historical Jesus. There are many different "mythicist theories" just as there are many different "historical Jesus theories".

Obviously, the earliest believers did not think they were believing in a "myth" or in some "ahistorical" figure. We are imputing our modern frames of reference into the thinking of the first believers when we fault mythicists for curiously arguing that early historicists "oddly" valued ahistorical texts. That most certainly is an odd situation, but it is born of circularity and confusion of concepts, I think.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm
neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:12 pm Giuseppe -- there is no question of intellectual dishonesty whatever in any proposal that an earthly Jesus could also be a mythical Jesus. Heracles was an earthly hero but he was also mythical. Adam and Eve were earthly figures but they were also mythical. What's the difference with Jesus? There is no intellectual dishonesty here.
the objection is easy: the early Christians (Paul and Pillars) would placed your earthly (but mythical) Jesus in the recent past (whereas Heracles was placed in the distant past). Who are you - who are us? - to put in discussion the historical reality of their belief?

If you followed the links in my original post you would have known that Heracles was placed in the time of contemporary believers. He was not confined to the distant past.

Heracles was not the only one.

More humility, indeed.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

neilgodfrey wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:41 pm Heracles was placed in the time of contemporary believers
but not by the original believers. Like the difference.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pmWho are you - who are us? - to put in discussion the historical reality of their belief?

Ancient historians themselves did that. Not me, not "us". I assumed anyone interested in following up the original claim would have clicked on the links I provided with it.