Robert M. Price against Richard Carrier about clues of adoptionism in Paul

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

Robert M. Price against Richard Carrier about clues of adoptionism in Paul

Post by Giuseppe »

Robert M. Price attacks Richard Carrier about a specific point I have found often intriguing:

Price’s second criticism, which he builds on the first, is to ask, “how,” without embracing his position of a veritable swarm of interpolations in Paul, “can one harmonize the Mythicist notion of Jesus as a heavenly archangel descending to earth” (he must mean, sublunar realm) with the “adoptionist Christology of Romans 1:3-4,” which says “Jesus, though ‘declared Son of God in power…by his resurrection from the dead’, was already qualified as Messiah by virtue of his Davidic lineage.”

(my bold)
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/17174

I think that a good reply, without even read the particular Carrier's reply (frankly I have not read it while I write here), is the following:
  • The epistle to Hebrews shows clearly the same traces of adoptionism (Jesus invokes with desperation his father YHWH to save him from the sufferings).
  • But none, not even prof Robert M. Price, can raise doubts about Hebrews being the proof text par excellence of Doherty's mythicism.
  • hence: adoptionism can fit very well with the Mythicist notion of Jesus as a heavenly archangel descending to sublunar realm.
This is the little 'drama' of the early Christian texts: even when they need sincerely a human, adoptionistic Jesus — one inferior to YHWH to make the point that YHWH is the supreme god and not some rival, unknown alien Father of which Jesus is the Son ("Bar-Abbas") on an equal level —, well, even then, the human earthly Jesus is absent. :confusedsmiley:

It has to be invented.
MrMacSon

Re: Robert M. Price against Richard Carrier about clues of adoptionism in Paul

Post by MrMacSon »

I know Giuseppe's point is more narrow that what I propose here, but, in order to put it in context, the way I'd put Carrier's points (and Carrier's presentation of Price's points) on this, from that web article are, firstly, -

Price says, “Carrier gives the reader [of Jesus from Outer Space] both the comprehensive ‘big picture’ and a detailed account of the relevant data in both early Christian and contemporary pagan sources” and “His arguments are impressive and impressively presented.” And despite the few quibbles he does have with it (which I’ll get to next) he still concludes “The book is very powerful!”

Should I Make Mythicism More Fringe?

Price offers other supportive remarks, but of more importance I think are his critiques. His first criticism is that my presentation “suffers” from my “retention of elements of traditional ‘mainstream’ scholarship.” In other words, he ironically criticizes me for being too mainstream—and not “fringe” enough. That’s actually high praise ... I should not litter my thesis with unnecessary propositions already deemed unlikely by the academy that needs to be persuaded. If my conclusion follows from even their own assumptions (about basic facts like the mainstream dating of the Gospels and the authenticity of “the seven” trusted Epistles of Paul), they can have even less justification for rejecting my conclusion.

< . . snip . . >

The one example Price spends the most time on is of course one of his own passion projects: his insistence that the letters of Paul are “heavily” interpolated (rather than, as I grant, only occasionally so) and that many deemed authentic, like Galatians, are really second century forgeries.

But I would remove Carrier's reference to Price's focus on "the letters of Paul [being] ''heavily'' interpolated" in Carrier's reference to Price's second criticism, thus -

Price’s second criticism [of, which he builds on the first, is to ask, “how...can one harmonize the Mythicist notion of Jesus as a heavenly archangel descending to earth [or to just the sublunar realm] with theadoptionist Christology of Romans 1:3-4” ...

The passage in question [Romans 1:3-4] reads (translating literally):

…concerning His Son, [the one] having come-to-be from the semen of David, according to the flesh ... having been singled-out as God’s Son in power according to the Spirit of Holiness from [His] resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord.

[which Carrier otherwise says or means, “Jesus, though ‘declared Son of God in power…by his resurrection from the dead’, was already qualified as Messiah by virtue of his Davidic lineage.”]

Giuseppe appeals to the Epistle to the Hebrews - which is, of course, not even considered Pauline - as being adoptionist.

We can go back to Carrier who then notes notes

Paul is consistently an adoptionist. He repeatedly implies God adopted Jesus as his son, throughout his letters, setting this up as a model for how we can be adopted by God and thus become God’s sons, too (and so Jesus is “the firstborn of many brethren”) ... [I'll come back to what Carrier said here1 after Carrier's next paragraph, thus > ] ...

So it’s important to notice that Paul does not say in Romans 1 that Jesus was “adopted” as God’s son at his resurrection; he says “singled out as God’s Son in power” from his resurrection onward. Jesus is thus being reconfirmed in a station he had abandoned to effect his atoning sacrifice, being restored to power, the very power he had given up in the incarnation to be “a slave” to the natural world order (just as Paul says in Philippians 2:5-11). Paul makes clear Jesus was always God’s son, even from the dawn of creation (Romans 8:3-4, Galatians 4:4; cf. Ps.-Paul, Colossians 1:15; and Hebrews 5:5-10). So his being “singled out as” the Son from his resurrection onward (when he resumed his supernatural state, after having voluntarily submitted to a mortal one) was only a reconfirmation of a status he already once had.

1 The bit I omitted (from that excerpt) is -

And we know from Philo that Paul (and thus his fellow Christians) regarded Jesus as the already-established “archangel of many names” in Jewish angelology, who Philo tells us was always called the Son of God, in fact even “Firstborn Son of God,” the exact same phrase Paul repeatedly uses of Jesus (see OHJ, Ch. 5, Element 40)2.

I'm not sure why Carrier asserts "we know from Philo that Paul regarded Jesus as the already-established “archangel of many names” in Jewish angelology" - we might be able to infer such tropes / memes (or whatever) were common in or after Philo's times, but we can't 'know' Paul got them from Philo (or that Paul's fellow Christians did, or even that Paul had engaged with 'fellow Christians').

2 In Element 40 (in OHJ) Carrier says

the Christian idea of a preexistent spiritual son of God called the Logos, who was God’s true high priest in heaven, was also not a novel idea but already held by some pre-Christian Jews; and this preexistent spiritual son of God had already been explicitly connected with a celestial Jesus figure in the OT (discussed in Element 6), and therefore some Jews already believed there was a supernatural son of God named Jesus—because Paul’s contemporary Philo interprets the messianic prophecy of Zech. 6.12 in just such a way [Philo, On the Confusion of Tongues/Language 62-3.] ...
< . . .snip . . >
In the same book, Philo says that even if no one is ‘worthy to be called a Son of God’, we should still ‘labor earnestly to be adorned according to his firstborn Logos, the eldest of his angels, the ruling archangel of many names’. Elsewhere Philo adds that ‘there are two Temples of God, and one is this cosmos, wherein the High Priest is his Firstborn Son, the divine Logos’ (whom Philo elsewhere identifies as the primordial ‘image of God’).119 And Philo also says this ‘divine Logos’ is the being whom God appointed the Lord over all creation.120
  • 119 On Dreams 1.215; see also Philo, On the Giants 52. That the ‘divine Logos’ is the ‘image of God’ is also explicitly declared in Philo, On the Creation 31 as well as in Philo, On the Confusion of Tongues 62, 97 and 147; On Dreams 1.239; 2.45; The Special Laws 1.81; On Flight and Finding 101. That this is an intermediary being (per Element 36), see Philo, Who Is the Heir of Things Divine? 205-206. For more sources on this Jewish doctrine of the ‘Logos’ as a divine being, which Christianity simply co-opted, see Daniel Boyarin’s commentary in Amy-Jill Levine and Marc Zvi Brettler (eds.), The Jewish Annotated New Testament (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011), pp.546-49.

120 Allegorical Interpretation 3.96 and The Special Laws 1.81. That over all the universe ‘God put in charge his own true Logos, his firstborn Son, who is to take charge of his sacred flock, like the prefect of a great king’, see Philo, On Agriculture 50-52 ...
We know Jesus was also called the firstborn of God, the Logos, and God’s high priest in the heavens, and the one through whom all things were made, and who was appointed Lord of the universe, and was the true image of God; and Christians were also called upon to try and emulate him and adorn themselves like him, just as Philo is calling us to do [121: That we ought to imitate Christ: 1 Cor. 11.1; Rom. 8.29; 1 Cor. 15.49; 2 Cor. 3.18.]. This is far too improbable to be a coincidence. Philo and Christianity must have this notion from a common tradition preceding both [122 see Hultgren, ‘Origin of Paul’s Doctrine’, pp. 350-54.].

Carrier, Richard. On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt . Sheffield Phoenix Press.

Carrier also goes on to say in his web-article that

Price further conflates “messiah” with “Son of God.” The archangel Philo describes, who is clearly the archangel the earliest Christians believed Jesus was (and they believed this of him even if he existed), was always the Son of God. That was a position of supernatural status, not a biological reality. A messiah could also be called God’s son (as any king or priest could), but the messiah was a specific mortal-world agent, someone chosen (anointed) for a specific mortal-world task. All high priests and kings were so-described as messiahs (and “sons of god”).

But “the” messiah often meant the final chosen one, who would inaugurate the awaited end of the world. Sometimes it meant the final messiahs—as in the Talmud, there are two eschatological messiahs, the penultimate messiah “Son of Joseph” who would die and then be resurrected by the ultimate messiah “Son of David,” signaling the last days (see OHJ, Ch. 4, Element 5).

In [his] credal statement in Romans [Paul] is clearly using it in the final messianic sense: Jesus became not just any messiah but the Messiah Son of David in the flesh, meaning biologically (whether miraculously, procreatively, or allegorically; Paul does not say). This was a temporary status he [is said to have] assumed, to initiate the end of days. It is a status he only held, and only could hold, in 'a body of' flesh —indeed, [as] Davidic flesh— as prophecy required ...

So, who / what they might have 'adopted' was essentially either a supernatural being or a notion of a human being.

Last edited by MrMacSon on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

and if you really want to step back you might ask how come the Didache, a supposed early writing is so simplistic in it's theology compared to Paul
if Paul truly wrote in the 50's/60's Christianity was already sophisticated and would have known all things Philo
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

davidmartin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:24 pm and if you really want to step back you might ask how come the Didache, a supposed early writing, is so simplistic in it's theology compared to Paul
if Paul truly wrote in the 50's/60's [and if] Christianity was already sophisticated and would have known all things Philo
Good points.

Moreover, if Paul and other early Christian writers were to have known Philo's extensive writings, they might well have been more likely to have known and more fully contemplated them at least a decade or so after they were produced and collated, not as contemporaries.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

MrMacSon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:28 pm
Giuseppe appeals to the Epistle to the Hebrews - which is, of course, not even considered Pauline - as being adoptionist.
the point raised by Bob Price moves logically the discussion focus on Hebrews. Bob Price's thesis is that the outer-space mythicism cannot be harmonized at all with adoptionism, but my point, against Bob Price, is that Hebrews is absolute evidence of this harmonization in action.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Giuseppe wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:52 pm ... but my point, against Bob Price, is that Hebrews is absolute evidence of this harmonization in action.
Cheers.

I think Carrier provides good arguments too; saying, "it's already in harmony", and explaining why -

So it’s important to notice that Paul does not say in Romans 1 that Jesus was “adopted” as God’s son at his resurrection; he says “singled out as God’s Son in power” from his resurrection onward. Jesus is thus being reconfirmed in a station he had abandoned to effect his atoning sacrifice, being restored to power, the very power he had given up in the incarnation to be “a slave” to the natural world order (just as Paul says in Philippians 2:5-11). Paul makes clear Jesus was always God’s son, even from the dawn of creation (Romans 8:3-4, Galatians 4:4; cf. Ps.-Paul, Colossians 1:15; and Hebrews 5:5-10). So his being “singled out as” the Son from his resurrection onward (when he resumed his supernatural state, after having voluntarily submitted to a mortal one) was only a reconfirmation of a status he already once had.

< . . snip . . >

In Paul’s credal statement in Romans he is clearly using it in the final messianic sense: Jesus became not just any messiah but the Messiah Son of David in the flesh, meaning biologically (whether miraculously, procreatively, or allegorically; Paul does not say). This was a temporary, voluntary status he assumed, to initiate the end of days. It is a status he only held, and only could hold, in a body of flesh—indeed, Davidic flesh, as prophecy required. Because this is an explicit reference to the prophecy of Nathan [2 Samuel 7:12-14] (more tellingly in the Septuagint translation Paul is riffing on), that God would take “semen from” David’s belly and “produce” from it a Son who would sit an eternal throne; the figure thus described clearly being Jesus in Christian conception.

There is no sense in which Paul would imagine someone’s becoming the Messiah Son of David by birth (by entering a body of flesh) as identical to being declared the Son of God in Power (a supernatural position of cosmic rule). That could only happen to a spiritual being (hence, “according to the spirit,” not according to the flesh). Paul is saying that the archangel who was the Son of God, already the appointed viceroy of the universe assigned many of God’s powers, indeed even tasked with effecting God’s creation for him (per Philo; and Paul, e.g. 1 Corinthians 8:6), gave up all of that (Phil. 2:6-7) so he could assume a body of flesh so that he could become the final Davidic messiah (Phil 2:8-10), for which sacrifice God then rewards him by reappointment to his former supernatural status as God’s immortal son and viceroy, once again assigned God’s powers over creation.

Price complains this is “harmonization,” but it’s already in harmony. I don’t have to add anything to get this result—all of what I just said is well-established in evidence, not something I am making up to force a harmony. Philo and Paul do equate Jesus with the same archangel who was always the Firstborn Son of God in power. Paul is referencing Nathan’s prophecy. Paul did write and endorse the cosmological account in Philippians of how Jesus gave up that supernatural status to assume a body of flesh and die. Paul doesn’t say Jesus was “adopted” or only “first” so appointed to his cosmic viceroy status after that. And so on. What I am doing is not harmonization. It’s reading what Paul wrote; and doing so, as we ought, in the context of the actual evidence of what Paul and other Jews then believed.

davidmartin

Post by davidmartin »

i think Carrier is framing it rather freely here and he slips it in at the end "what Paul and other Jews then believed" - about the messiah
He makes it sound that Paul's ideas are mainstream within Judaism. Surely that is hardly the case. Paul's ideas are massively and profoundly different from traditional Jewish concepts of the messiah - as Jews today point out and affirm resolutely
So this attempt to paint Paul as somehow operating within Judaism is wildly off target
He is trying to frame Pauline theology as within normative Judaism when it could only have been an outlier on the fringes
Yes it uses Jewish conceptions but in radically different ways
The Odes of Solomon portray a Jesus who simply walked around like God did in the garden of Eden and it was pretty down to earth and within Jewish thought