The “Myth of Persecution” and the Portrayal of “Totalitarian Rome” in Popular Christian Media

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

The “Myth of Persecution” and the Portrayal of “Totalitarian Rome” in Popular Christian Media

Post by MrMacSon »

SBL 2020

S1-202 Bible and Popular Culture
12/01/2020
1:00 PM to 3:00 PM

The Myth of "Persecution” and the Portrayal of “Totalitarian Rome” in Popular Christian Media, Laura Robinson, Duke University

This paper explores what Candida Moss calls “the myth of persecution” in 20th and 21rst c. Christian popular media. As Moss describes in her 2013 book The Myth of Persecution, Christians have traditionally exaggerated the experience of pre-Constantinian persecution in the first three centuries. While persecution in this era was actually quite localized, Christians have found an exaggerated picture of Christianity as an embattled minority fighting a totalitarian state more apologetically and rhetorically useful.

My goal in this paper is to explore how totalitarian imagery and ideology has contributed to the myth of Christian persecution by looking at pieces of modern Christian popular media -- the 1995 Zondervan children’s television series The Story Keepers, the 2012 romance novel A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers, and the 2018 movie by Affirm Films, Paul: Apostle of Christ. My goal is to show that all these moves frame Rome not only as single-mindedly focused on eradicating Christianity, but as a state with a police force and surveillance system that is far more modern and developed than such systems would have been in the first century.

The modernity of the fictionalized “totalitarian Rome” serves not just as a fantasy of history, but as a fantasy of future America. By combining the myth of persecution with the dystopian capabilities of a modern fascist state, Christian popular media encourages its consumers to project what is “ostensibly” the past onto the present, or, more frequently, the not-too-distant future. Such media encourages Christians to think of themselves as persecuted along with the Christian characters in the story and to imagine that a similar state of affairs could occur now if the viewer is not properly vigilant.

https://www.sbl-site.org/meetings/abstr ... x?id=54544

mlinssen

Re: The “Myth of Persecution” and the Portrayal of “Totalitarian Rome” in Popular Christian Media

Post by mlinssen »

Looks like the marketing machine is slowly coming to an end
Secret Alias

Re: The “Myth of Persecution” and the Portrayal of “Totalitarian Rome” in Popular Christian Media

Post by Secret Alias »

I disagree. Sounds sort of like Holocaust denial only with the safety of saying 'there is no evidence.' It has always seemed hard for me to believe that within a cult of masochism that there weren't willing participants in a cruel society like the Roman Empire. Roman society was built around cruelty. Christians wanted to be abused. Moreover given the hatred and violence which is reported in related communities (Samaritan for instance) and what is reported about Roman slaughter of the Jews hard to believe that a Jewish-subgroup wasn't similarly abused. It's just trendy to doubt things Christians nowadays.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

I agree with the conclusion of this academic article.

Note that the original persecution the Christians received was represented by the obstacles found during their ascension to heaven: the archontic gatekeepers asking magical passwords by their souls, if they wanted to pass undisturbed.

I quote myself here:
Giuseppe wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 am Try to remove 'Synagogues' from Luke 12:11-12 and you gain a mythicist Logion:

“When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.”

...insofar it fits perfectly the situation of the soul who has to ascend beyond the archontic Gate-keepers in lower heavens: the only original 'rulers and authorities' who are meant in the original Logion.

Apocalypse of James 1:8.30_
I taught you what to say before the archons

See also Epiphanius Panarion, 26:13.

The equivalent passages have euhemerized even more the original entirely mythical context of the Logion:

Mark 13:9-11
“You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. 10 And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. 11 Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 10:17-19
Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say,

Luke 21:12-14
“But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13 And so you will bear testimony to me. 14 But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.