Jesus in the Mishnah, the Tosefta, & the Talmud.

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
davidmartin

Re: Jesus in the Mishnah, the Tosefta, & the Talmud.

Post by davidmartin »

Yes thanks Ben at times i can be a purveyor of wild theories (but if Guiseppe gets to post his the world's your oyster!), to be honest speculation about Paul's wife, etc, probably isn't too useful
Even though i'm working on a theory that there was a prominent female apostle floating around the same scene, i don't think it helps that idea much
But there's so many odd coincidences over disparate sources. I shall be seeking other avenues as well to advance this theory but in the back of my mind Paul has some conflicting relationship with her
Ben C. Smith

Re: Jesus in the Mishnah, the Tosefta, & the Talmud.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

davidmartin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:45 am Yes thanks Ben at times i can be a purveyor of wild theories (but if Guiseppe gets to post his the world's your oyster!), to be honest speculation about Paul's wife, etc, probably isn't too useful
Even though i'm working on a theory that there was a prominent female apostle floating around the same scene, i don't think it helps that idea much
But there's so many odd coincidences over disparate sources. I shall be seeking other avenues as well to advance this theory but in the back of my mind Paul has some conflicting relationship with her
The back of the mind is one of the most important resources for these kinds of studies. It is good to keep the full range of interpretive options open for each datum, because, even if one has a slight favorite at the moment, there is always a chance that some seemingly unrelated inquiry will shed light on the question unexpectedly, and suddenly that slight favorite finds itself coming in second to the option which best explains all of the evidence, including the newly appreciated.