An amazing colossal error by Antonio Piñero on Hegesippus

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Giuseppe

An amazing colossal error by Antonio Piñero on Hegesippus

Post by Giuseppe »

Antonio Piñero in his page facebook, is replying to Richard Carrier in two long comments.

The first comment is served only to enumerate his enormous knowledge etc. And that he has read entirely the book of Carrier. It was a good start.

But then what has impressed me is this point:
Y a propósito: otro dato, salvo error por mi parte, de la existencia real de Jesús es la noticia de que Domiciano condenó a muerte a hijos de primos del Nazareno (los denominados “Desposyni”) por miedo a que pudieran incitar (¡eran parientes de un sedicioso contra Roma = Jesús!) a una rebelión contra el Imperio. Según Carrier, Domiciano se habría dejado llevar también por el mito.
Translation:
And by the way: another information, if not my mistake, on the real existence of Jesus is the news that Domitian condamned to death the children of the cousins of the Nazarene (the so-called "Desposyni") for fear that they would incite (they were relatives of a seditious man against Rome = Jesus!) to a rebellion against the Empire. According to Carrier, even Domitian would have let himself be carried away by the myth.
It is real folly!

Who has read really Carrier on this point can't never say something of this kind!

Whatever the case may be, Hegesippus tips his hand when we learn from Eusebius that he told all these narratives in order to 'prove' that there had been no heresy before the reign of Trajan, because up until then the family of Jesus and his disciples had everywhere ensured a faithful adherence to the 'virgin' gospel, and only after they had passed away did false sects arise. Such a fantasy is not only certainly false (the Epistles of Paul already attest to numerous schisms, including his own, and there had surely been countless further splits all through the first century), it is also an obvious motive for inventing tales of family and eyewitnesses to Jesus. And from the details we find in the stories he told, we can tell they are unbelievable. Nor is any source given for them. So no reliable support for historicity can be had here. The probability of there being such tales is the same on either theory.

(OHJ, p. 331, my bold)
Nihil enim in speciem fallacius est quam prava religio. -Liv. xxxix. 16.
Giuseppe

Re: An amazing colossal error by Antonio Piñero on Hegesippus

Post by Giuseppe »

Note the real folly and dementia of Antonio Piñero:
  • In Rome, Domitian knew that Jesus was a seditious crucified by Romans.
  • In Jerusalem, Festus didn't know that Jesus was a seditious crucified by Romans.

Instead, it was something about their religion and a dead man named Jesus, who Paul insists is alive.

(Acts 25:19)
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

So someone said something you didn’t like on facebook, and decided to address them... here?

You’re an emotionally immature sociopath. I honestly do not know if your parents failed you or if you failed your parents.
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Go distant Tim O'Neill. Don't project on others your views of yourself.

As academic, Antonio Piñero is a public figure, hence he can be addressed everywhere, especially if his comment on facebook was officially an answer against Carrier's criticism of him.

And you "Joseph D.L." aka Tim O'Neill, you are not worthy of a civil discussion with me, neither public nor private. Especially private, for the reasons I can't reveal.
Paul the Uncertain

Post by Paul the Uncertain »

Joseph D. L. wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:41 am So someone said something you didn’t like on facebook, and decided to address them... here?
Whoa ... not just "someone," but Antonio Piñero.

Richard Carrier (the one with a PhD, many of whose writings have been peer-reviewed) doesn't like Antonio Piñero (also endoctored, and from the looks of it, no stranger to peer review himself: https://www.antoniopinero.com/curriculum.html)

Read all about it: https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/17021
... I have acquired a translation of some of the most relevant bits of that (and of a video interview with Piñero)...
What? Commenting on somebody's book without reading the whole thing?
... It is thus notable that though Piñero criticizes me in this book, he admitted on video he has never read my book.
Ah, turnabout is fair play.

Anyway, among Carrier's insightful remarks, we find that Piñero displays ignorance, makes things up, asks a bunch of stupid questions, doesn't have a clue about this or that, writes a book of no use whatever, ... Carrier does sometimes lapse into his signature scholarly jargon: bizarre, weird, s**t history, (apparent) fraud, lame, lying, ... and some emphatic ones: a string of lies, literally false, complete ignorance, jaw-dropping incompetence...

In other words, it's the same as it is with everybody else Carrier has quarreled with.

As another poster says, the man's a genius. Who else could get people to read the same damned review time after time after time?
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Paul the Uncertain wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:34 am What? Commenting on somebody's book without reading the whole thing?
Really? In the page facebook, one of the things I have learned by translating rapidly from the original linguage, is that "prof" Piñero assures that he ordered and read only that book (of a Mythicist), and that he "sensed", by reading it, that Carrier did not put himself "inside the skin" of a real 1st century Jew, despite so much flaunting of erudition.

So we have now a new argument pro-Historicity:

1) one has the magical sensitive power that allows you to enter in the body of a real 1st century Jew
2) that power confirms that Jesus existed.

ADDENDA:
Said in other terms:
the incarnation of Jesus can be confirmed by the incarnation of the people who study it in the same time and place of the presumed historical Jesus.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:47 am Go distant Tim O'Neill. Don't project on others your views of yourself.

As academic, Antonio Piñero is a public figure, hence he can be addressed everywhere, especially if his comment on facebook was officially an answer against Carrier's criticism of him.

And you "Joseph D.L." aka Tim O'Neill, you are not worthy of a civil discussion with me, neither public nor private. Especially private, for the reasons I can't reveal.
Oh please, do reveal them "Giuseppe Ferri", or should I say...

Bluestone the Great!
Attachments
scooby-doo-unmasking-gif-4.gif
scooby-doo-unmasking-gif-4.gif (989.74 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
Last edited by Joseph D. L. on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

That's another mystery solved, gang!
Giuseppe

Post by Giuseppe »

Go distant, Tim'O Neill aka "Joseph Di Lello".

(P.S.: I don't hide the embarrassment in realizing that you are of Italian origins, to judge from your surname).

Double P.S.: I suspect that you are gay from your love for "Hadrianic religion". That is the reason I don't like to meet you in a private discussion. :facepalm:
Joseph D. L.

Post by Joseph D. L. »

Giuseppe wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:47 pm Go distant, Tim'O Neill aka "Joseph Di Lello".

(P.S.: I don't hide the embarrassment in realizing that you are of Italian origins, to judge from your surname).
Dude majore LOL!!! I'm literally laughing like a crazy person now.

"Joseph D. L." isn't even my real name man, but my initials inverted. Secondly, I'm of Dutch and French (my last name is French, btw), descent with a few drops of Ashkenazi (gotta squeeze that in somewhere). You're fucking paranoid man. Which means I've done my job. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
Double P.S.: I suspect that you are gay from your love for "Hadrianic religion". That is the reason I don't like to meet you in a private discussion. :facepalm:
Don't flatter yourself, Giuseppe. I could easily say the same of you, how you swing from Carrier's pubic hairs. Also, I have no intention of hiding our love affair. I want the world to see just how much I love you.

No one loves you as much as I do, Giuseppe.