Zorastrian Burial reference in the NT (?)

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
Stuart

Re: Zorastrian Burial reference in the NT (?)

Post by Stuart »

Ben,

Alluding to a Jewish source does not mean a Jewish interpretation. It is the language they used. When the context is there for war it would be in the surrounding verses. It's just not there.

I suppose you could interpret it to mean that the story implies Herod executed John in the desert and left his corpse for the vultures. But there are no armies here. We are talking the Griffon Vulture, called an Eagle, and native of the region (though more so to the north).

The Roman legion Eagle is nowhere in sight. That pretty kills the idea of a war context.

As for Matthew, that gospel is full of anti-heretic passages and warnings, often put in Jesus' mouth. That is IMO exactly what is in view. That he drew from Jewish Scripture to allude to would not be unique for him. Still no Roman legion.
“’That was excellently observed’, say I, when I read a passage in an author, where his opinion agrees with mine. When we differ, there I pronounce him to be mistaken.” - Jonathan Swift
Ben C. Smith

Re: Zorastrian Burial reference in the NT (?)

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Suit yourself. I think you are very much on the wrong tack here. But I could be wrong; it happen. :)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ