Gospel trajectories.

Covering all topics of history and the interpretation of texts, posts here should conform to the norms of academic discussion: respectful and with a tight focus on the subject matter.

Moderator: andrewcriddle

Ben C. Smith

Re: Gospel trajectories.

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 am
Ben C. Smith wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:23 amThe issue, of course, is that the gospel of Mark appears to evince no such reluctance about the baptism of Jesus:

Mark 1.4, 9-11: 4 John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. .... 9 In those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Immediately coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opening, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him; 11 and a voice came out of the heavens: “You are My beloved Son, in You I am well pleased.”

John is baptizing for the forgiveness of sins, and Jesus comes to be baptized by John. A straightforward reading of this passage is that Jesus was being baptized for the forgiveness of sin, and Mark does not even blink at saying this. Other evangelists certainly do!
I read Mark as not only OK with the baptism, but perhaps requiring it. Mark 1:10 can plausibly be read such that the Spirit descends into Jesus (modern critical and early texts read εἰς, into as opposed to the ἐπ᾽, upon of the other gospels and later, apparently harmonized texts of Mark).
I agree. In fact, the spirit which has just descended into (καταβαῖνον εἰς) him, kind of like an invasion, now casts him out into (ἐκβάλλει εἰς) the desert, kind of like an exorcism. The terminology is raw and almost violent. I think there is something to be said for Stevan Davies' reading of these events as some kind of spirit possession.

Ehrman argues that the addition of υἱοῦ θεοῦ in many manuscripts of Mark 1.1 was effected in order to make sure the reader would understand that Jesus was already the Son of God; the baptism did not make him so.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Difflugia

Post by Difflugia »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 amI agree. In fact, the spirit which has just descended into (καταβαῖνον εἰς) him, kind of like an invasion, now casts him out into (ἐκβάλλει εἰς) the desert, kind of like an exorcism. The terminology is raw and almost violent.
I'd never really noticed that particular angle. I'd seen it as involuntary, but didn't think about the inherent violence in being "cast" or "thrown" out. I looked through the entry for ἐκβάλλω in Liddell-Scott and the classical uses are varied, but nearly always have a negative connotation akin to being ejected or rejected, like deposing a king, miscarrying a pregnancy, or exposing an unwanted child to die.
I think there is something to be said for Stevan Davies' reading of these events as some kind of spirit possession.
Thanks. I hadn't heard of Stevan Davies and a quick Google found some books I need to read. :D
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:07 pm
Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 amI agree. In fact, the spirit which has just descended into (καταβαῖνον εἰς) him, kind of like an invasion, now casts him out into (ἐκβάλλει εἰς) the desert, kind of like an exorcism. The terminology is raw and almost violent.
I'd never really noticed that particular angle. I'd seen it as involuntary, but didn't think about the inherent violence in being "cast" or "thrown" out. I looked through the entry for ἐκβάλλω in Liddell-Scott and the classical uses are varied, but nearly always have a negative connotation akin to being ejected or rejected, like deposing a king, miscarrying a pregnancy, or exposing an unwanted child to die.
The word ἐκβάλλω is also the most common term used for exorcising demons in the synoptic gospels.
Last edited by Ben C. Smith on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Difflugia

Post by Difflugia »

I can't PM yet, so I'll thank you here. Thanks for everything!
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:46 pm I can't PM yet, so I'll thank you here. Thanks for everything!
No problem. :)
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Yet another trajectory proposed by E. Bruce Brooks:

E. Bruce Brooks, "Gospel Trajectories," page 1: Mary is rejected by Jesus in Mark (Mk 3:33f, “Who are my mother and brothers?”). In Matthew, Mary is favored by God to be Jesus’ mother (Mt 1:20f, the angel to Joseph: “Do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit”). In Luke Mary reacts fully and eloquently to the news that she is to be so favored (Lk 1:46f, the Magnificat). Luke adds a childhood narrative of Jesus in the Temple, where Mary speaks to Jesus (Lk 2:41-51). In John, for reasons above noted, there is no birth scene, but Mary is part of Jesus’ ministry. She persuades him to perform his first miracle at Cana (Jn 2:3f, Mary to the servants: “Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it”), and at the end is touchingly commended by him, from the very cross, to the care of a disciple (Jn 19:26f, “Jesus... saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son. Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother”).

Several of our gospel texts are simply too limited in scope even to be expected to speak much, if at all, about Mary the mother of Jesus; these would include the Sophia of Jesus Christ, the Dialogue of the Savior, the Gospel of Judas, the Gospel of Mary, the Apocryphon of John, the Apocryphon of James, the Gospel of the Savior, and the Book of Thomas the Contender. The Gospel of Marcion, as usual, is a special case, and I will not treat it here and now. The Gospel of the Ebionites, the Gospel of Peter, and the Traditions of Matthias are too fragmentary for a lack of mention of Mary to mean anything for us.

The gospel texts which remain fit my table reasonably well, with one or two exceptions.

First, of course, the canonical sequence broken down by Brooks (Mark, Matthew, Luke, John) lines up nicely with it.

Second, the Epistle of the Apostles has this to say about Mary:

Epistle of the Apostles 3-5a:

3 This know we, that our Lord and Redeemer Jesus Christ is God the Son of God, who was sent of God the Lord of the whole world, the maker and creator of it, who is named by all names, and high above all powers, Lord of lords, King of kings, Ruler of rulers, the heavenly one who sits above the cherubim and seraphim at the right hand of the throne of the Father, who by his word made the heavens, and formed the earth and that which is in it, and set bounds to the sea that it should not pass, the deeps also and fountains, that they should spring forth and flow over the earth: the day and the night, the sun and the moon, did he establish, and the stars in the heaven, who did separate the light from the darkness, who called forth hell, and in the twinkling of an eye ordained the rain of the winter, the snow, the hail, and the ice, and the days in their several seasons, who makes the earth to quake and establishes it again, who created man in his own image, after his likeness, and by the fathers of old and the prophets is it declared, of whom the apostles preached, and whom the disciples did touch. In God, the Lord, the Son of God, do we believe, that he is the word become flesh, that of Mary the holy virgin he took a body, begotten of the Holy Ghost, not of the lust of the flesh, but by the will of God: that he was wrapped in swaddling clothes in Bethlehem and made manifest, and grew up and came to ripe age, when also we beheld it.

4 This did our Lord Jesus Christ, who was sent by Joseph and Mary his mother to be taught. When he who taught him said unto him: Say Alpha, then answered he and said: Tell me first what is Beta. This thing which then came to pass is to true and of verity.

5a Thereafter was there a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and they bade him with his mother and his brothers, and he changed water into wine.

In what is mostly a dialogue gospel format with very briefly narrated summaries of stories, this contribution is not insignificant.

Third, the Gospel of Philip I have already discussed as an explicable exception to the sequence; even so, however, it harps a bit on Mary the mother of Jesus:

Philip 18, 36:

18 Some said, "Mary conceived by the Holy Spirit." They are in error. They do not know what they are saying. When did a woman ever conceive by a woman? Mary is the virgin whom no power defiled. She is a great anathema to the Hebrews, who are the apostles and the apostolic men. This virgin whom no power defiled [...] the powers defile themselves. And the Lord would not have said "My Father who is in Heaven" (= Matthew 16.17), unless he had had another father, but he would have said simply "My father."

36 There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary.

Fourth, let us consider the two infancy gospels on the list; their scope does not allow us to expect mentions of Mary during Jesus' adult ministry, but already the Infancy Gospel of Thomas takes a story found in Luke and injects Marian material found elsewhere in the canonical infancy narratives, presumably to make certain that the pericope of Jesus visiting the Temple at age twelve does not reflect poorly on her:

Infancy gospel of Thomas 19.3-5: 3 And his mother Mary came near and said unto him: Child, why have you so done unto us? Behold, we have sought you sorrowing. And Jesus said unto them: Why do you seek me? Do you not know that I must be in my Father's house? 4 But the scribes and Pharisees said: Are you the mother of this child? And she said: I am. And they said unto her: Blessed are you among women because God has blessed the fruit of your womb. For such glory and such excellence and wisdom we have neither seen nor heard at any time. 5 And Jesus arose and followed his mother and was subject unto his parents; but his mother kept in mind all that came to pass. And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and grace. Unto him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

The infancy gospel of James goes further still, narrating not only Jesus' birth but also Mary's, sowing the bare seeds of the later doctrine of the immaculate conception.

Fifth, we come to what is possibly a big exception, the Gospel of Thomas, which, despite its late position on my list, narrates nothing very splendid about Jesus' mother:

Thomas 99, 101, 105:

99 The disciples said to him, "Your brothers and your mother are standing outside." He said to them, "Those here who do what my Father wants are my brothers and my mother. They are the ones who will enter my Father's kingdom."

101 "Whoever does not hate [father] and mother as I do cannot be my [disciple], and whoever does [not] love [father and] mother as I do cannot be my [disciple]. For my mother [...], but my true [mother] gave me life."

105 Jesus said, "Whoever knows the father and the mother will be called the child of a whore."

As I said, I think that my table dates this gospel too late in some ways; I have some ideas about why, and ought to get to them at some point soonish.

Overall, however, if one bears in mind both the limitations of the infancy gospels and the fact that this Marian criterion ought to apply almost strictly to narrative gospels overall, it stands up pretty well so far as my table is concerned. The narrative gospels line up nicely, with the possible exception of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, since, while it seems more conscious of saving Mary's reputation than Luke in this one climactic childhood story, I cannot necessarily say that it is more eager in that area than the Gospel of John is; however, as mentioned, the infancy gospel format is probably limiting in this respect.

The trajectory is of quite limited use, and it probably cannot sufficiently account for any trend which, like modern evangelicals, would seek to demote Mary from her highest previously attained position, but at least it does not contradict the relative chronology suggested by my table in any substantial way.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Ben C. Smith wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 amThe terminology is raw and almost violent.
Yes, it is, and I think you are correct:

1 Corinthians 1: 14 - 17 (RSV):

[14] I am thankful that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Ga'ius;
[15] lest any one should say that you were baptized in my name.
[16] (I did baptize also the household of Steph'anas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized any one else.)
[17] For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Verses 14 and 16 may be statements of violence with 15 and 17 being "Moderators" (Interpolations). Verse 17 is laughable, outrageously so. I'll not push the entire analysis on you. Nonetheless, echoes of a more sinister meaning come through. 14 and 16 may be matched with statements in Tacitus, Histories, Book 4:

"The murder of Calpurnius Galerianus caused the utmost consternation. He was a son of Caius Piso, and had done nothing, but a noble name and his own youthful beauty made him the theme of common talk...Julius Priscus, who had been prefect of the Praetorian Guard under Vitellius, killed himself rather out of shame than by compulsion..."

"Caius" becomes "Gaius". "Priscus" changes to "Crispus". The "House of Stephanas" is interesting. Do we have anything in the surrounding Histories that may be applicable (even if not Proof)?

Suetonius, 12 Caesars, "Domitian":

"Concerning the nature of the plot and the manner of his death, this is about all that became known. As the conspirators were deliberating when and how to attack him, whether at the bath or at dinner, Stephanus, Domitilla's steward, at the time under accusation for embezzlement, offered his aid and counsel. To avoid suspicion, he wrapped up his left arm in woollen bandages for some days, pretending that he had injured it, and concealed in them a dagger. Then pretending to betray a conspiracy and for that reason being given an audience, he stabbed the emperor [Domitian] in the groin as he was reading a paper which the assassin handed him, and stood in a state of amazement..."

"Baptism" may not represent what you might think it does. Domitian, if killed after his bath, faced "Baptism". It may, indeed, be of violent origin.
Ben C. Smith

Post by Ben C. Smith »

Here is a potential trajectory that I have sort of devised myself, though it is based on observations made by many others. Some gospels start their story of Jesus with his baptism; others with his birth; and still others with his preexistence. It is interesting to see how the arrangement comes out when we sort according to which point of origin each individual gospel text chooses for Jesus.

Obviously, unless some rare circumstance were to assert itself, only narrative gospels would be susceptible to this observation; excluded, then, are the Sophia of Jesus Christ, the Dialogue of the Savior, the Gospel of Philip, that of Mary, that of Judas, that of Thomas, the Book of Thomas the Contender, the Apocryphon of James, that of John, and the Gospel of the Savior. The gospel texts too fragmentary to work with would be the Gospel of Peter and the Traditions of Matthias. And the infancy gospels, that of Thomas and that of James, limit themselves by their very nature to discussing the birth or childhood of Jesus.

What we are left with are the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and even the Ebionites and Marcion (which is easier than usual to analyze in this particular case), as well as, luckily, the Epistle of the Apostles.

It happens that Epiphanius assures us concerning the Gospel of the Ebionites, despite its highly fragmentary nature, that it began as follows:

Gospel of the Ebionites 1: It happened in the days of Herod, king of Judea, in the high priesthood of Caiaphas, that a certain man, John by name, came baptizing with a baptism of repentance in the Jordan River, he who was said to be from the lineage of Aaron the priest, a child of Zacharias and Elizabeth, and all went out toward him. ....

Thus this gospel begins much as Mark does (and also, incidentally, much as what I think an early version of Luke began, but siphoning proto-texts out of extant gospels is not the topic of this thread), creating a definite exception to the overall trend as pertains to the order of my table!

One might excuse the Epistle of the Apostles from consideration on account of it being framed as a dialogue, but it happens to bear the following indications of preexistence:

Epistle of the Apostles 3, 13:

3 This know we, that our Lord and Redeemer Jesus Christ is God the Son of God, who was sent of God the Lord of the whole world, the maker and creator of it, who is named by all names, and high above all powers, Lord of lords, King of kings, Ruler of rulers, the heavenly one who sits above the cherubim and seraphim at the right hand of the throne of the Father, who by his word made the heavens, and formed the earth and that which is in it, and set bounds to the sea that it should not pass, the deeps also and fountains, that they should spring forth and flow over the earth: the day and the night, the sun and the moon, did he establish, and the stars in the heaven, who did separate the light from the darkness, who called forth hell, and in the twinkling of an eye ordained the rain of the winter, the snow, the hail, and the ice, and the days in their several seasons, who makes the earth to quake and establishes it again, who created man in his own image, after his likeness, and by the fathers of old and the prophets is it declared, of whom the apostles preached, and whom the disciples did touch. In God, the Lord, the Son of God, do we believe, that he is the word become flesh, that of Mary the holy virgin he took a body, begotten of the Holy Ghost, not of the lust of the flesh, but by the will of God: that he was wrapped in swaddling clothes in Bethlehem and made manifest, and grew up and came to ripe age, when also we beheld it.

13 Now that which he revealed unto us is this, which he spoke: It came to pass when I was about to come hither from the Father of all things, and passed through the heavens, then did I put on the wisdom of the Father, and I put on the power of his might. I was in heaven, and I passed by the archangels and the angels in their likeness, like as if I were one of them, among the princedoms and powers. I passed through them because I possessed the wisdom of him that had sent me. Now the chief captain of the angels, Michael, and Gabriel and Uriel and Raphael, followed me unto the fifth firmament, for they thought in their heart that I was one of them; such power was given me of my Father. And on that day did I adorn the archangels with a wonderful voice so that they should go unto the altar of the Father and serve and fulfill the ministry until I should return unto him. And so wrought I the likeness by my wisdom; for I became all things in all, that I might praise the dispensation of the Father and fulfil the glory of him who sent me and return unto him.

The implied order, then, goes something like this:

Marcion (entrance into Capernaum).
Mark (baptism by John).
Ebionites (baptism by John).
Matthew (birth and infancy).
Luke (birth and infancy, with more detail than Matthew, including the birth of John the Baptist).
John (the beginning of the world; preexistence).
Epistle of the Apostles (same basic position as John; preexistence).

Six of these gospel texts fall in line nicely, but the seventh, the Gospel of the Ebionites, definitely stands out as out of order compared to my table. I believe it does so because the Ebionites clung to a view of Jesus which in other quarters of Christianity soon became overwhelmed by a process of relentless divinization, but that is a topic for another thread. I think the "exceptions" can be as instructive as the "rules" sometimes.

It is interesting to note, when the Marcionite gospel allows itself to be more or less susceptible to my ranking in relative chronological order, how often it falls in its rightful place on the first row of my chart.
ΤΙ ΕΣΤΙΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΙΑ