The Real Bottom Line in the Mythicism Debate

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
MrMacSon

Re: The Real Bottom Line in the Mythicism Debate

Post by MrMacSon »

pakeha wrote:... I'm finding trying to place the data pertinent to the Jesus narrative difficult to sort into any sort of a rational/plausible scenario ...
You're not alone: we're all the same.

No-one has yet found any substantial rationale for a single person on which the Jesus narrative has based: no basis for a Jesus-preacher dude; no other character on which to mostly base the narrative.

One of the Dutch Radicals, AD Loman, proposed late 19th C there had been 2 main adversarial theological groups (among others); one with the Pauline texts and one with the Gospel texts, and that these groups finally resolved their differences with the result being their texts put together as the NT (probably with the input of Eusebius, or his predecessors such as Pamphilus of Caesaria, or even their successors)
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

pakeha wrote: Thanks for the clarification. I'm finding trying to place the data pertinent to the Jesus narrative difficult to sort into any sort of a rational/plausible scenario, but then,I'm new at this and am fortunate to be able to ask questions in forums like this one.
The expectations , mood and tradition of a particular culture is what should explain the birth of a new religion.

Momigliano writes:
On Pagans, Jews and Christians
Chapter 7 What Josephus did not see

“It is our task to elucidate more precisely the meaning of Josephus’s twofold blindness about the synagogue and the widespread Jewish and Christian apocalyptic trends of his time...

The mere existence of a minimum of weekly reading and interpretation of the Bible in public seems to me a new departure in the religious life of the classical world...The mere fact that one had to study in order to be pious is a strange notion which made Judaism increasingly intellectual- not what cults were known for in the Greco-roman world.

It favoured separation of the learned from the ignorant and it caused (and allowed) basic doctrinal disagreements; in the end it introduced schism and excommunication....As it happened, one of the sects which developed in the atmosphere of Jerusalem was to replace the old religion of Rome and Athens”

next
Arnaldo Momigliano
Chapter 5 Religion in Athens, Rome and Jerusalem in the first century BC

The Psalms of Solomon indicated both an orientation and a mood which are different from anything we may surmise in Rome and Athens. Defeat is faced: it is directly related to God. No political interpretation is offered. What the writer hopes for, however, is a new politeia in the Davidic tradition: institutional concern is the consequence of religious scruples....

We may say that the Psalms of Solomon point toward the equivalence of perfect trust in god with salvation as formulated in the grand finale of the tract Beshallah of the Mekhiltah de Rabbi Ishmael, the date of which I do not know(4)
Note 4 it will be enough to refer to the bibliography of S. Holm-Nielsen...

next
The Messiah Texts
Raphael Patai
Wayne State University Press, Detroit. 1979
ISBN 9780814318508
Chapters 2 and 3
Certain themes in Judaism have been treated by Jewish authors and sages as pre-existent in the sense that they were created in the sixth day of Genesis. Among them they mentioned the Torah, Repentance, the Garden of Eden and Gehenna, God’s Throne of Glory, the Fathers, Israel, the Temple and the Messiah.

The Messiah first appears as pre-existent in the First Book of Enoch which was originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic about 150 B.C.E From that period on, the concept of the Messiah who was created in the six days of creation, or even prior to them or who was born at variously stated subsequent dates and was then hidden to await his time, became a standard feature of Jewish messianic eschatology.

The concept of the pre-existence of the Messiah accords with the general Talmudic view which holds that “The Holy One, blessed be He, prepares the remedy before the wound” ( B.Meg. 13b) .
The names by which the Messiah is called are revealing. In the first book of Enoch he is called, first of all, “Head of Days”, an epithet alluding to his pre-existence. In the same source he is also called “Son of Man, an old biblical appellation heavy with theosophical symbolism...

In any case this multiplicity of names indicates one thing very clearly: The image of the Messiah was very much in the forefront of rabbinical- and undoubtedly also popular- thought from the second century BCE on.

The earliest Biblical figure who in later literature was endowed with a superman Messianic character is Enoch, about whom it is said in Genesis (5:24) “that he walked with God, and he was no more, for God took him.” This brief enigmatic statement sufficed to turn Enoch into a superhuman figure: after his translation he became Metatron, the chief of all angels, and according to the book of Enoch (which was preserved in Ethiopic), he became the Messiah.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

bcedaifu wrote: ???
"wholly Jewish"

What utter crap. Where in the "old testament" do you find one word about YHWH impregnating a human female . . . .
There's more to Judaistic beliefs of the first century than the OT. Recall that Philo in "On Drunkenness" (30) does tell his Bible loving Jewish readers that the Creator God, the "father of the universe", did indeed impregnate "Knowledge of the Creator", the mother, with his seed. Since God himself does not have a body as such -- only his "glory" has a body, one human-like -- this impregnation was not quite like a human sexual act, but it was clearly a definite imparting of seed from the Father God to Mother Knowledge. The seed developed in the mother until her time came to give birth and through the great travail of birthpains a brand new baby son was born. This son was the world we all know and love today.

Don't let misconceptions about rabbinic Judaism (rabbinic Judaism became "the orthodox" standard of Judaism only much later) lead us to underestimate the imaginative beliefs and speculations of first century Jewish thought.

If this impregnation of a heavenly female doesn't cut it and you want a comparison with God impregnating a human female, one only has to recall "the Lord" (probably the glory or hypostasis of the formless God, the glory or angel who in Jewish thought had the form of a heavenly Man/Adam) appearing to the wife of Manoah and her giving birth to Samson 9 months later. The Jewish writers bashfully left the details buried beneath pure imaginations. And then God did clearly implant his seed in Mary. But he's God and has created many forms of sexual procreation so he can do even that without touching filthy flesh.

The Jewish idea of God was much more anthropomorphic by the time of the first and second centuries than it was for many Greeks. Jewish thought stressed the way God manifested himself in human form (his Glory and Form were that of a Man) -- so they did pretty well to amalgamate this human-form of God with sexual reproduction without human fleshly sex. Perhaps he used those fish that exchange seed without touching each other as the model.

But seed did pass from the Father God to the Mother, heavenly or human, in Jewish thought. And this was at a time when Greeks were becoming embarrassed by the crudities of their old myths and sought to maintain some self-respect by allegorizing them.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

neilgodfrey wrote: But seed did pass from the Father God to the Mother, heavenly or human, in Jewish thought. And this was at a time when Greeks were becoming embarrassed by the crudities of their old myths and sought to maintain some self-respect by allegorizing them.
re " ... Greeks were becoming embarrassed by the crudities of their old myths ... " - do you mean 'old Greek myths', or others' myths?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

MrMacSon wrote: re " ... Greeks were becoming embarrassed by the crudities of their old myths ... " - do you mean 'old Greek myths', or others' myths?
I meant the old myths of the Greeks. Was referring to the allegorizing tendency among the philosophers post Plato.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
pakeha

Post by pakeha »

MrMacSon wrote:
pakeha wrote:... I'm finding trying to place the data pertinent to the Jesus narrative difficult to sort into any sort of a rational/plausible scenario ...

No-one has yet found any substantial rationale for a single person on which the Jesus narrative has based: no basis for a Jesus-preacher dude; no other character on which to mostly base the narrative.

One of the Dutch Radicals, AD Loman, proposed late 19th C there had been 2 main adversarial theological groups (among others); one with the Pauline texts and one with the Gospel texts, and that these groups finally resolved their differences with the result being their texts put together as the NT (probably with the input of Eusebius, or his predecessors such as Pamphilus of Caesaria, or even their successors)
That sounds about right, except... for the Alexandrian school.
I'm accustomed to thinking of the early Church in terms of Jerusalem vs. Paul, more or less, but as I read further I see that Alexandria had a Christian movement of its own.

The Dutch radicals and their ideas have but one inconvenience- they published long before the latest archeological findings.

beowulf wrote:
pakeha wrote: [ . . . ]

The expectations , mood and tradition of a particular culture is what should explain the birth of a new religion.

Momigliano writes:
Chapter 7 What Josephus did not see

“It is our task to elucidate more precisely the meaning of Josephus’s twofold blindness about the synagogue and the widespread Jewish and Christian apocalyptic trends of his time...

The mere existence of a minimum of weekly reading and interpretation of the Bible in public seems to me a new departure in the religious life of the classical world...The mere fact that one had to study in order to be pious is a strange notion which made Judaism increasingly intellectual- not what cults were known for in the Greco-roman world.

It favoured separation of the learned from the ignorant and it caused (and allowed) basic doctrinal disagreements; in the end it introduced schism and excommunication....As it happened, one of the sects which developed in the atmosphere of Jerusalem was to replace the old religion of Rome and Athens”

next
Arnaldo Momigliano
Chapter 5 Religion in Athens, Rome and Jerusalem in the first century BC

The Psalms of Solomon indicated both an orientation and a mood which are different from anything we may surmise in Rome and Athens. Defeat is faced: it is directly related to God. No political interpretation is offered. What the writer hopes for, however, is a new politeia in the Davidic tradition: institutional concern is the consequence of religious scruples....

We may say that the Psalms of Solomon point toward the equivalence of perfect trust in god with salvation as formulated in the grand finale of the tract Beshallah of the Mekhiltah de Rabbi Ishmael, the date of which I do not know(4)
Note 4 it will be enough to refer to the bibliography of S. Holm-Nielsen...

next
The Messiah Texts
Raphael Patai
Wayne State University Press, Detroit. 1979
ISBN 9780814318508
Chapters 2 and 3
Certain themes in Judaism have been treated by Jewish authors and sages as pre-existent in the sense that they were created in the sixth day of Genesis. Among them they mentioned the Torah, Repentance, the Garden of Eden and Gehenna, God’s Throne of Glory, the Fathers, Israel, the Temple and the Messiah.

The Messiah first appears as pre-existent in the First Book of Enoch which was originally written in Hebrew or Aramaic about 150 B.C.E From that period on, the concept of the Messiah who was created in the six days of creation, or even prior to them or who was born at variously stated subsequent dates and was then hidden to await his time, became a standard feature of Jewish messianic eschatology.

The concept of the pre-existence of the Messiah accords with the general Talmudic view which holds that “The Holy One, blessed be He, prepares the remedy before the wound” ( B.Meg. 13b) .
The names by which the Messiah is called are revealing. In the first book of Enoch he is called, first of all, “Head of Days”, an epithet alluding to his pre-existence. In the same source he is also called “Son of Man, an old biblical appellation heavy with theosophical symbolism...

In any case this multiplicity of names indicates one thing very clearly: The image of the Messiah was very much in the forefront of rabbinical- and undoubtedly also popular- thought from the second century BCE on.

The earliest Biblical figure who in later literature was endowed with a superman Messianic character is Enoch, about whom it is said in Genesis (5:24) “that he walked with God, and he was no more, for God took him.” This brief enigmatic statement sufficed to turn Enoch into a superhuman figure: after his translation he became Metatron, the chief of all angels, and according to the book of Enoch (which was preserved in Ethiopic), he became the Messiah.
Thanks for the sources, beowulf!
More volumnes for my 'to read' list.
I love having fresh authors to read on the subject of 1st Century Christianity and its roots.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

pakeha wrote:
MrMacSon wrote:

That sounds about right, except... for the Alexandrian school.

I'm accustomed to thinking of the early Church in terms of Jerusalem vs. Paul, more or less, but as I read further I see that Alexandria had a Christian movement of its own.

The Dutch radicals and their ideas have but one inconvenience- they published long before the latest archeological findings.
Please elaborate.
pakeha

Post by pakeha »

MrMacSon wrote:
pakeha wrote:[ . . . ]The Dutch radicals and their ideas have but one inconvenience- they published long before the latest archeological findings.
Please elaborate.
No worries.
The Dutch Radicals wrote long before the discoveries of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi texts.
How would those texts have influenced their thinking?
We'll never know.
Granted, these aren't the 'latest' archeological findings pertinent to the Jesus narrative (would the latest find be the Pilate Stone?) but I think they mark a before and after to our knowledge of early Christianity, correct me if I'm wrong.
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

^ aha. Yes, the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi texts were discovered after the Dutch Radicals wrote.

To me those texts show considerable diversity of theology in the period 1st C BCE and into the 1st C AD/CE.
pakeha

Post by pakeha »

Considerable, indeed. I have the impression scholars will be dissecting those texts for generations to come. And who knows what is still waiting to be discovered?