Does anyone have On the Historicity of Jesus yet?

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
The Crow

Re: Does anyone have On the Historicity of Jesus yet?

Post by The Crow »

They are evangelizing for Acharya S......
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

The Crow wrote:They are evangelizing for Acharya S......
To be fair to Robert I understand he was into astrotheology long before Acharya S emerged on the scene.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

neilgodfrey wrote:
To be fair to Robert I understand he was into astrotheology long before Acharya S emerged on the scene.
Well thats something I did not know. Then I apologize to Robert for the comment. Thanks Neil.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

The Crow wrote:
neilgodfrey wrote:
Well thats something I did not know. Then I apologize to Robert for the comment. Thanks Neil.

Robert's interest goes back to at least 1985.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=471&p=11738&hilit=university#p11738
Robert Tulip wrote:My academic background arose from my family context. My father James Tulip was the head of the Department of Religious Studies and Associate Professor of English Literature at the University of Sydney, and my mother Marie Tulip was a feminist theologian, editor of the women’s liberation magazine Magdalene. I obtained an honours degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1985 for a philosophy thesis on precession in the Bible, and an honours degree of Master of Arts in 1991 for a philosophy thesis on The Place of Ethics in Heidegger’s Ontology, both from Macquarie University. I have not pursued formal academic work because my ideas of a new paradigm in religion are too way out for anyone else to talk about much. I work in the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, where I am acting Director for Resources and Energy.
vridar.org Musings on biblical studies, politics, religion, ethics, human nature, tidbits from science
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

Well to have that type of academic background he does not strike me as obtuse and a know it all like most with fancy degrees.
Robert Tulip

Post by Robert Tulip »

Stephan and Neil, does your blanket rejection of astrotheology mean you believe that Jesus Christ was not invented as solar allegory?
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Robert Tulip wrote:Stephan and Neil, does your blanket rejection of astrotheology mean you believe that Jesus Christ was not invented as solar allegory?
I don't "blanket reject" anything, Robert. My rejection of astrotheology as I have seen it presented is the consequence of my belief that arguments for alternatives are more soundly based. I am quite open to the possibility of astrotheology if I can see a legitimate argument for it. I do not "believe" that X was "not" the case. I embrace a range of possibilities as the best explanation of the evidence. As I have learned more over the years I have found that this position -- that all knowledge in this area is tentative -- has led me to modify and sometimes dramatically change some of my views.

Your question presumes a black and white dogmatism that I do not recognize in my approach to astrotheology or anything else in this field.

I see no evidence at this point that persuades me to "believe" Jesus was "invented as a solar allegory".

I do see some evidence that later Christians did associate Jesus with the solar myth iconography, however.
neilgodfrey

Post by neilgodfrey »

Perhaps I should add that the arguments I have seen for Jesus being invented as a solar allegory are logically flawed and cannot compete with published scholarly interpretations of the same evidence.
The Crow

Post by The Crow »

In what ways are they flawed Neil? Do you believe there is astrological symbolism in the Bible?
MrMacSon

Post by MrMacSon »

Robert Tulip wrote:Stephan and Neil, does your blanket rejection of astrotheology mean you believe that Jesus Christ was not invented as solar allegory?
Excuse my intrusion, but I didn't engaged with or read past discussions. Briefly, is astrotheology the application of astrology by ancient peoples in developing [their] theology?