I have a question..

Discussion about the New Testament, apocrypha, gnostics, church fathers, Christian origins, historical Jesus or otherwise, etc.
SsjTheo

I have a question..

Post by SsjTheo »

Hi so, I've been wanting to start reading the church father's writings, and I started in Ignatius of Antioch. I noticed that on this website there are like three different translations of like Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans and there was a 'shorter and longer version', so my question is, which version is the correct one the shorter or the longer, and which translation is the best. If anyone can also give the better version for other church father writings that'd be cool, or even a site that had some kind of greek interlinear for the church father's writings, thanks.
andrewcriddle

Re: I have a question..

Post by andrewcriddle »

SsjTheo wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 pm Hi so, I've been wanting to start reading the church father's writings, and I started in Ignatius of Antioch. I noticed that on this website there are like three different translations of like Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans and there was a 'shorter and longer version', so my question is, which version is the correct one the shorter or the longer, and which translation is the best. If anyone can also give the better version for other church father writings that'd be cool, or even a site that had some kind of greek interlinear for the church father's writings, thanks.
The long version of the letters of Ignatius is almost certainly an expansion produced c 350 CE. The shorter Greek version is older than the longer Greek version and is probably what Ignatius actually wrote.

(There is a very short version of Ignatius to the Romans Ephesians and to Polycarp found only in Syriac but this is probably an abridgement.)

This thread should probably be in the Christian texts forum.

Andrew Criddle